Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Your TWD Story

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Neuropyramidal, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

How and when did you discover TWD? Was it behind the oven when you pulled it out to clean? Did the mailman spot it in your navel?

As for me, I watched the pilot episode live on Halloween of 2010, and remember thinking what a high quality 90 minutes of TV that it was, but sadly I was very busy with life at the time, and really was not watching TV. I did not watch another episode until season 2's Secrets, when I randomly came across the scene of walkers meandering around in the barn. I remember thinking that this really does seem like a good show, and I wish I had kept up with it, but I didn't want to start in the middle of a season, so I flipped on to something else.

The next time I randomly came across a live scene was the episode This Sorrowful Life, where Merle was explaining to Michonne in the car that he can't just "go back", and then he cut her free. I was intrigued that this show seemed to have gotten kind of deep and emotionally complex. 'Go back' to what? Why can't you go back, gruff looking dude? Why did he have that woman tied up, and why did he let her go? What has led up to all this?

At this point in my life I had more free time compared to my previous 2 fleeting experiences with the show, and when the commercial break came on and announced a TWD marathon all next week leading up to the S3 finale, I immediately set my DVR to record. I binged the first 3 seasons all in about 6 days, and was ready to watch Welcome To The Tombs live.

About one day after it aired, I was so enthralled with the show I searched to see if there were any places online to discuss it or learn more about it. I found this forum [my first experience with one], and the rest, as Lucius Beebe liked to say, is history.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I didn't watch a single episode until after season 6 aired. I never liked "zombie movies", just never liked the genre. So even though it was popular and two of my friends loved it and constantly told me I would like it, I just never gave it a chance. It's the same reason I never played the game Last of Us. I finally played that game and loved it around the time season 6 was airing. One of my buddies insisted that the show was more like the game in that it wasn't about zombies, it was about the characters.

Finally after the last episode of season 6 aired and my friends were talking about how "badass" Negan was and how he's played by JDM, an actor I really enjoy. I decided to give it a shot. I watched "the lineup" on youtube, those last 10 minutes or so of 616 and was impressed. I liked the idea of JDM being this sadistic bad guy. So I loaded up the series on Netflix and started with the first episode.

My Wife laughed at me because I was giving the zombie show a try. She started watching it with me on when the third episode aired and we binged the entire first 6 seasons in a few weeks.

We were hooked. To the point where that following Spring Break, we vacation in North Georgia. We planned our drive to go through Senoia and using a google map of filming locations we saw a whole lot of cool locations. Every year since, up to last year, we drove through Senoia and stopped by to check things out. Last year we took the studio tour.

So I came to the series VERY late, I've only been watching live since the beginning of season 7.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LoriG

LoriG Member

I’m in the uk so was a little behind the us when I first saw it advertised, and remember telling my husband I wanted to watch it. So we did and I instantly fell in love with the whole idea. He watched with me until the end of S2 then opted out, while I became obsessed it drives him mad, and more often than not I watch it on my own but now we’re in lockdown together he watches new episodes with me... I’ve tried other forums but I like this one better. I’ve read fanfics as well but grew bored of them. I have a few friends who are equally obsessed but we’re few and far between now...

• Like Like x 1
  4. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Great thread. I always enjoy finding out about other fans’ journeys.

In a nutshell: Binge-watched the first five seasons after a lot of nagging from my daughter and a friend. I resisted because of no interest in the zombie genre. They argued I’d love the human drama and they were so right.

I still pretty much glaze over the zombies but I love the show for a hundred other reasons.
    (This could also be an interesting topic: 100 things we love about this show? :D)

Found this forum and lurked for a while, then registered and lurked some more, then at the end of last season I decided to get engaged in discussions, and it’s been really lovely to share the show with you all. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Well... How to put it politely...

I'm a big horror fan, in fact up to 2009, I taught a University class about horror films. And I like quite a few zombie films. Still, I had zero interest in TWD because I thought it looked really dumb and soft and not for horror fans.

Sometimes, I get stuck for a few days at my gf's parents. She takes time with them and do stuff, and I mostly isolate myself in the basement and listen to music or watch movies - and I quickly get out of things to do. That's when I finally binged Season 1, but I don't know when that was exactly. Right off the bat, the fact that it starts with 28 days later's opening (or Resident Evil's ending) confirmed to me that the show was trash, but I had nothing better to do and I loved Shane's character. I had no intention of watching the following season (there only was two at that time).

Later on, maybe a month before season 2 got available on Netflix, I convinced my gf to watch a horror film - something she never agrees to (might have been 28 days later, coincidence). Trying to convince her to watch another one - maybe the sequel - she told me that it was too long and that if only it was a TV show, maybe she'd get interested. So I got her to watch season 1 (to this day, that's the only episodes I've watched twice). She got hooked, I got my mancrush back, and we were synced with the live episodes for season 3. I must admit that for the first 5 seasons, I watched it with high level of criticism, thought the plot was really weak and hated most of the characters. I just went back and found my very first post here, from mid-season 5, in the most hated character thread:

[​IMG]

I never went back to these seasons, and I've grown to like the show a lot since (and that's in great part thanks to the good people around here) - even if I think it's still a very weak option for horror. Mostly, I love the show because that's still today the only thing remotely horror that my gf will watch with me (I almost lost her when Glenn died, and she quickly dropped me on FTWD, but she's still faithful as of now).

6. BlackBird

Well, if that ain’t a sweet love story, I don’t know what is... ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I got involved when my husband brought home season 1 and 2, which I think he must have rented at a local Block Buster, lol. I have no interest in Zombies but I thought, oh hell, I’ll watch with him. By the end of our binge, I was so caught up in the Rick, Lori, Shane triangle I was hooked. I thought the character interactions were phenomenal.

I discussed the show with others on another Forum, where it was only a thread but we had such interesting convos, my interest continued to grow even though my husband’s waned. When that Forum went kaput, someone directed me here and here I’ve been here discussing TWD ever since.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Zombiebaby

Zombiebaby Member

my partner told me about this new show that was going to air on Channel 5 called The Walking Dead back in 2010. She was interested in watching it cos she fancies the arse off Andy Lincoln.
    I said OK we'll give it a watch, i'd seen all the Romero and Raimi stuff from way back but had forgotten about the zombie genre and horror in general.
    For some reason i kept calling it Walking the Dead as a joke, sort of a zombie dog Crufts.
    Anyway we sat and watched the first episode when it aired on UK terrestrial and i was intrigued, i enjoyed the first episode, i liked the sense of isolation and confusion of Rick Grimes. My partner was shit scared of the zombies but over the seasons she's gotten desensitized to them, but back then she couldn't watch. By about episode 3 of season 1 i was hooked and it re-awoke my interest in the zombie genre.
    I was really fascinated by the show up until the Woodbury story and i got a sense that it was somewhat drifting from regular people dealing with an unnatural situation to a more comic book approach to more cartoony action which i found stretched the believeability of the show somewhat. Having said that, this Coronavirus has shown the extremes of humanity, such as stupidity (burning mobile phone masts) selfishness and gullibility (stockpiling just because of a few random Facebook rumours) and arrogance (when they SAY EVERYONE STAY INDOORS THAT MEANS YOU!)
    Anyway, stay safe, its just a show..........for now!

• Like Like x 1
  9. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had read all of the comics and was really excited for the show. I had never heard of the walking dead but was intrigued by the idea of a zombie show. He came over for the first episode and watched it along with me and my roommates at the time and I was immediately hooked. Some time after the first or second season, I was desperate for more content so I ordered the first compendium of the comics. Then the second. Once I caught up on the comics, I started coming here and talking about the show. I don't come here as much as I used to but have kept up with the show regularly ever since and have almost finished the comic series. The last volume has been sitting on my nightstand for like 2 months and I just haven't gotten around to reading it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Raga

Raga New Member

It was my brother who first told me about this show during lockdown period. When I first heard that it had zombies in it I never wanted to watch it..but one day when there was nothing to do during this lockdown, and was browsing the Netflix, I came across this show and thought of giving it a try and so did...but was disappointed after watching the pilot episode as it was so slow.
    I'm a person who is into thrillers, and suspense and thought that it was not my type and so told my brother the same.He was so successful in convincing me that the plot would change much sooner and that I would definitely like the show...

It came out true and I binged entire 10 seasons in about 15 to 20 days!!!I was so into the series that I was kind of lost after finishing the series and wanted to be in touch with something which involves anything about the show or the people in it...

Here I am in this forum enjoying everything with the people who are just like me or who are far more advanced than me in the discussion...

11. BlackBird

Wow! Ten seasons in 20 days! That’s incredible. All these stories and characters all swirling around in your mind! You might just need a little time for it all to settle.
    I wonder what it all feels like for you. Negan killed Glenn only two weeks ago for you, and Rick left only last week... :confused:

12. Raga

Raga New Member

Yes. So true. That's reason why I couldn't believe that the series was over.It's still in my head and I'm so in love with it.:)

13. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

I was just flicking through channels one night back in 2010 and came across the first ever episode. I was impressed. Here in the UK, it didn't receive much publicity as I recall. Watching episode 2, I felt it wasn't as good as the premier and my busy life at the time meant I then never followed it up. However, out of the blue, my student daughter bought me the series 1 DVD for Xmas 2013 - as she thought I'd like it. This time I was hooked and immediately bought seasons 2 and 3 to binge watch. Started watching it live about halfway through season 4 (which I also loved). Season 5 was another good one and 6 started really well but then lost it's way with the Negan storyline somewhat. Am afraid I struggled through 7 and 8, almost giving up, but 9 was a big improvement. 10 has been okay so far but it probably is time to round it off, I think.

• Like Like x 1