Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"You're getting comfortable with that."

Discussion in 'Episode 205 - Captive' started by br0k3n, May 9, 2016.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I linked to the nra site because I was saying that that is the type of place the kinds of topics you were developing belong

2. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

I thought her left breast might be a little bit smaller than her right one.

3. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Super duper halitosis jet. Now that's potent. Maybe not on zombies though.

4. _Luna

_Luna New Member

Lol, this is quite ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks that scene was an anti-gun/ second amendment subliminal message is paranoid. It was nothing more than an exchange of dialogue meant to implement the sense of a parent being reluctant to further expose their child to the danger and terror of this "new world."

Two weeks ago, Maddie was a high-school guidance counselor, afraid to hear her phone ring in case it may be a call from a hospital or morgue. Now, the very child who instilled that fear is physically back with her and she is overprotective of him in general. A large part of her still holds on to the naive belief that all of this --the infected, the breaking down of society -- is going to be "fixed." She even said it as recently as two episodes prior, when Alex and Jake first made it to the Abigail; she says something along the lines of going to Mexico until "all this ends."

That being said, she hasn't accepted the notion that her children are, indeed, going to have to become vicious fighters in order to survive this world. Obviously, she is in for a rude awakening, but as of right now she is still holding onto hope. It has nothing to do with guns. Characters on this show are wielding guns constantly. Daniel is rarely seen without one. Even Chris carries one while on watch duty. Luis saved them using a sniper at the end of "Blood in the Streets." These characters have been saved by guns several times throughout the series!

There is no anti-gun agenda here; just a mother wanting to protect her young children (both still teenagers) from the horrific world they've found themselves in, and not yet being "okay" with the idea of her already very troubled son accepting extreme violence as a necessary way of life. The second amendment has no place in a discussion regarding that scene at all. Take a few steps, back, guys. There are guns ALL OVER this show!

#44 _Luna, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  5. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Wait is this thread really about gun rights. She didn't want him to go and use the gun because she still believes she can preserve her childrens innocense in this world. It's a set up to when later is going to realizes she can't. That gun could have been a baseball bat named Lucille and it would have been the same message.

Nobody ever started a thread about how Negan is a good guy just trying to preserve baseball players rights by trying to hit home runs. This "connection" to the 2nd amendment is just as ridiculous.

6. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

Different topic. Start a thread on it.

7. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

Thanks for posting this. This is the question I was raising about her. Is it simply a concerned parent thing? Or is it more? Where I think we differ is in your use of words like "ridiculous" and "paranoid". It is ESTABLISHED that Travis's character is expressly anti-gun. Travis is her boyfriend/fiancé/whatever.

So my question goes to whether this speaks to a view she shares with Travis? Or just unhappy/concerned momma bear?

With her relationship with Travis, and with Travis's anti-gun statements - please tell me how this question is "ridiculous and paranoid"?

8. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

I see what you're trying to say here - and appreciate the opinion about her parental concerns.

The equivalency of baseball bat and gun was not well worded and confusing.

While it is true that just about ANYTHING can be used as a weapon, a gun cannot be used for other purposes. Its form and function are as a weapon.

You can kill and/or maim with a baseball bat, a rolled up magazine, a pillow, a pen.... just about anything can be used in this way.

But a gun cannot swing home runs, nor can it hammer nails, or dress a deer, or or or. It is a single purpose tool.

So you see, her statement "you're getting comfortable with THAT" - takes on meaning because THAT (object) is none of those other things I mentioned. What it IS, is a gun.

9. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

This is the problem with these many illogical arguments in this thread, of course any parent is a concerned parent. Given what they have just been through in succession and now find themselves in "survival mode", which has not been written well as the episodes have progressed(unlike early TWD), it's literally one the dumbest things on screen to say "you're getting comfortable with that" in a negative light in regards to what they all would recognize as a survival tool.

Having a survival tool does not in itself correlate to anything other than having a necessary survival tool. It's correct that they are two weeks separated from their normal civil lives, but their experiences have been intense and the realistic reaction by this point would be either serious trauma or a slap to the face that trumps all previous inhibitions, which is their wake up call. Seeing that none of them are characterized as being "severely traumatized" to the point of mental breakdown, a "concerned mother" at this point, having seen what they have seen(hell they just saw several of their attackers brains blown out after seeing X amount of walking cannibalistic corpses) would only be trying to insist upon the learning of survival.

Anything else would be indicative of either total stupidity, which is not Madison as she's one of the smarter ones in the group other than Strand and Salazar, or it's a subtle little dig that "guns = bad". I didn't say that anybody fell for that, agree's with that, disagree's with that or that it's a conspiracy. I said that's what it's projecting - either that, or just sheer incompetent writing.

The statement would not have been made had he been practicing with a knife, a katana or a bat, or anything other than a cartridge based projectile weapon and what the sight of said weapon psychologically effects. None of those items bring up mental stimulation like the sight of a gun.

The "not allowing him to make the trade/anti-raft" retort is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

Thx.

#49 Ionut, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  10. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Brzzzzt wrong answer.

11. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Lori still had issues with Carl using a gun, and from the perspective of the timeline, is still months away and deeper into the apocalypse. Just parents being parental... I wouldn't look for this to change very soon, but maybe by the start of season 3? I get that Nick is much older, but as a habitual junkie he should be watched more closely than someone half his age...

Sophia notwithstanding.

#51 Z-Man, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  12. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

They are a family who has never been around guns. Any comparison between a law enforcement/farm and ranching community/backwoods redneck monocycle riding/drug dealing group and a suburban L.A. school teacher group is not legitimate. They don't like guns. They are not required to like guns. They have been consistent with that theme. Madi has spent her life worried about Nick and now she has to worry about Nick with a gun. It makes sense for her to feel concern. Plus we know that Nick has made some risky decisions this adds complexity to that character trait. I like her not giving up on protecting her kids It makes sense though it is frustrating to watch.

13. _Luna

_Luna New Member

Travis spoke up about Daniel teaching Chris how to use a gun early on, when almost everyone thought this was all going to blow over. Although I disagree with Travis (Putting myself in shoes, I would feel now more than ever my child needs to know how to defend himself by all means, but I am not him), I do understand his being uncomfortable, ESPECIALLY since Daniel did this without his permission and without speaking to him at all. At the end of the day, it is Travis' son and not Daniel's.

At this point, I highly doubt Maddie or Travis would hesitate to use a gun to protect themselves and/ or their children.

Their being uncomfortable with their children jumping in to adapt to this new life has nothing to do with the second amendment. It is part of the process of character development. These parents feel they are headed to a safe haven, and that this entire mess with all blow over at some point and they will be saved. Eventually, they are going to realize that that isn't the case and that their children ARE going to have to become fighters to survive. Right now, they are somewhat in denial about their children becoming fighters and killers. That is very understandable. They are parents and they want to protect their children -- they aren't ready to accept that their children ARE going to become fighters and killers. Eventually they will, and this dilemma is part of the plot and the respective characters' development.

The ridiculousness and paranoia is in regards to the people who actually think any of this has to do with the second amendment, or believe there are subliminal anti-gun messages, or that the show is pushing an anti-gun agenda. As I formerly said, these characters are wielding guns constantly, and their lives have been saved by them on numerous occasions.

Maddie was ready to pick up and use a gun very early on in Season 1, when they snuck over to Susan's house to grab the gun Nick had tried to steal. Maddie accepted this idea without question, went along to sneak in and grab the gun preparing to use it. Then Daniel grabbed it from her and shot Peter instead. Maddie herself isn't anti-gun at all. Is she not ready to accept her son -- whom she worried about for years (and rightfully so, being that he IS a very troubled teenager) being comfortable using one? No, she isn't. Not yet anyway.

Does this mean the show is pushing an anti-gun agenda? Definitely not ...that is laughable at best.

/2cents

14. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

If you think about it. Those kids killed more walkers on that beach, then Maddie and Travis together.

15. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

I agree with everything you said, I just think that if Nick was going to grab a baseball bat in the same situation Madison would have said the exact same thing, in the same manner, and not wanted Nick to get involved.