Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Zombie combat

Discussion in 'Z1: Battle Royale' started by Andrei, May 6, 2014.

1. Andrei

Andrei New Member

What will the zombies look like? And how will the organize? Are they going to stay in large hoards like we've seen in L4D2 or are they going to be alone, fast and overpowered?

2. jhigh

jhigh New Member

Sony showed their zombies in the preview video. It looks like they're moderately fast, and they're able to sprint towards you. I think the idea is that you're not running around looking for zombies, but you're trying to avoid them because an encounter with a zombie is high risk. You can check out this video to see the zombies in action: http://youtu.be/91rKcISuUMU

3. Agent

Agent Member

I noticed that. Again, seems like the way to go since you don't want this to be boring (and large maps with slow romero zombies would make it boring) but you also don't want to make it impossible to run away from them because you are going to give played little ammo, and making it impossible to escape from them would be game breaking when you have no ammo. :eek:

4. LindaKay

LindaKay New Member

I hope they are as creepy as possible. Zombies really freak me out -- in a good way. I can't wait to see what they look like on this game.

5. sparkblade14

sparkblade14 Member

I think their amount will depend. Some will travel in big hordes while some are isolated. Hopefully there are areas which are known to have a lot of zombies and stuff. The zombies themselves aren't too slow but not too fast either.

6. ManofOneWay

ManofOneWay New Member

From what I've seen the zombies are rather fast, I hope so at least. The faster they will be the more intense and scary the game will be. If they are too slow or weak people might get bored of it quickly since there is no real challenge. Hopefully they will travel in big hordes too!

7. troublemaker75

troublemaker75 New Member

Honestly I would love a challenge, and without one I get bored of games relatively quickly. I think zombies should be fast, and mostly in groups, but I also believe that some of the faster zombies should run ahead of the group. Some zombies should also be able to out run the player, so that the player won't be able to run forever.

8. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Member

The question I haven't seen so far: how and where will these zombies come from? What if, for example, the whole map was populated by players spread around, then where would they spawn, and where would they go from there?

9. Agent

Agent Member

Yeah but think about this, this is a survival game, which that sometimes you will find yourself with no bullets looking for ammo, and if you find a zombie that you can't scape from, then that would be unfair for the play. I do agree that we need fast zombies so the game won't become boring, but they should't be able to outrun you.

10. WhiteAsh

WhiteAsh Member

This is a great question. Turning corpses of dead players into zombies is one way to solve this problem but I think that some clever spawning mechanic will need to be implemented as well and from what I've seen in other games ( S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and DayZ for example ) this is very, very hard to implement right. Not enough zombies? Players get bored. Too many zombies? Immersion is broken. Zombies spawn in one place? Players will camp it. Zombies spawn randomly? Again, bad for immersion.

11. sparkblade14

sparkblade14 Member

Perhaps places where it's the least populated? It's not like players are gonna cover every single foot of the game world anyway. And I think there are places which will have massive hordes spawn from, so players will eventually get overrun if they try to take that spot.

12. Lapolax

Lapolax Member

As far as I've heard it's going to be a little bit of everything. You'll be able to find small groups of zombies, or single zombies a bit of everywhere, and sometimes there will be a hoard of zombies lurking around somewhere.

There obviously needs to be a good balance between single zombies, small hordes and big hordes. Having too few or too many of any of those would make the game feel a bit boring/too hard/bad.

13. mark973

mark973 Member

From what I've seen, it looks like they sprint after you and swipe at you. They look a lot faster than any other zombie game I've played so I guess you'll have to think about the way you move about the environment of the game. The zombies also seem to be in spread-out groups.

14. mikelouis

mikelouis New Member

I have actually seen the preview video on Youtube and am just waiting for it to be released. I am not so sure about their powers but all we can do is wait. I am sure they will be posing a lot of challenges when it comes to finishing some stages in the game.

15. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer New Member

That's cool, it doesn't sound like your typical zombie game. Yeah, I've seen the preview before and I think they're not going for shamblers here but more on the ferocious ones like in Left 4 Dead.