Next month the revamped model of the XBox One, called the XBox One S, will begin arriving in stores everywhere. Not long after that, the new model will get its first themed version: a crimson-colored Gears of War 4 variant.
The makeover you see here is beyond a simple paint job. Microsoft says they wanted to offer “a console that bears the battle marks of surviving a desperate fight against the Swarm.” So where you see claw marks on the corner, they are not just designs — those are actual marks clawed into the system, created by laser cutting.
This weathered XBox One can only be found in the Gears of War 4 2TB bundle. Microsoft’s bullet list states that within said bundle, you will find the following:
- Gritty, battle-weathered custom Xbox One S console with a massive 2TB hard drive
- All-new Xbox Wireless Controller – Gears of War 4 Crimson Omen Limited Edition, featuring a textured grip for enhanced comfort; our most reliable wireless signal ever, with up to two times the wireless range compared to previous controllers when used with Xbox One S; and Bluetooth radio, giving you an easy wireless connection to your Windows 10 PCs and tablets
- 4K Ultra HD video and Blu-ray player, custom system sounds, and a vertical stand
- High Dynamic Range support for video and games
- Full game download of Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition for both Xbox One and Windows 10 (featuring cross-play support in all co-op modes) – a $99 value
- Early access to the game on Oct. 7
- Gears of War 4 Season Pass, featuring the exclusive Vintage VIP Pack, permanent access to future multiplayer maps for private games, six additional Gear Packs including the Vintage JD Gear Pack, early previews to upcoming modes, and much more
That’s right, it’s another bundle where the game doesn’t come in a disc. The upside is that this allows Microsoft to give purchasers of this bundle early access to the game, but saving four days vs. the ability to lend the game to your friends isn’t a contest if you ask us.
The Gears of War 4 bundle will be available October 7 for $450; the XBox One S itself will also be available in models that start at $300.