Getting tired of playing the same Destiny content over and over? Bungie has your next dose. Today the company released details of what to expect in the game’s first expansion, “The Dark Below,” which is out Dec. 9.
According to a Bungie press release, the expansion will feature:
• New weapons, armor, and gear to earn, including Legendary and Exotic items
• Light Level cap raised to 32 and five additional Bounty slots added
• New story quests and missions – after years hiding amongst the Hive shadows, a new character, Eris, has come forth bearing an ominous warning: The Hive seek to summon a god, Crota, to destroy the Earth. Find Eris in the Tower to take on special quests that include three new missions where you will increase your Light and earn new rewards
• New cooperative Strike, The Will of Crota, pits you and your Fireteam against Omnigul as she works to expand the Hive army at the command of her master, Crota
• Three new competitive multiplayer arenas
Pantheon – set deep within the Black Garden in an ancient Vex temple that features Vex-designed landscapes and tight corridors
Skyshock – an old interplanetary defense array that offers both vehicle and infantry engagements
The Cauldron – an abandoned Hive ritual site that offers close-quarter combat
• New six-player Raid, Crota’s End, set deep within the depths of the Hellmouth
• PlayStation platforms will also get access to an exclusive cooperative Strike, The Undying Mind, and more (timed exclusive until at least Fall 2015)
It’s a nice amount of content, although it’s honestly a much nicer amount of content for PlayStation owners. Losing out on an entire strike is a big blow for Xbox players. This is also the second strike Bungie has made console PlayStation exclusive, the first was Dust Palace. The Xbox versions are starting to look significantly more content poor.
All this content will cost you $19.99. Or you can purchase an expansion pass that entitles you to the Dark Below and Destiny’s second planned expansion House of Wolves, which doesn’t have a release date yet.