Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

141 Issue Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 24: Life and Death' started by ltomlinson31, May 13, 2015.

1. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Maybe there is something to the rumor that next villian will be a female, and we have already met her?

Wouldn't have seen THAT coming.

As for this issue...

There is something flat distressing in how much happened with how little happened. The literary equivalent to holding your breath. Brace yourselves, I foresee the potential of epic calamity ahead. This could be bigger than expected by magnitudes, with no clear safe person in sight.

Why did Rosita have to make such a dramatic reveal at this time? Why directly show Rick declaring that we don't kill, to turn the page and see lynching in conclusion? Why didn't Negan even take one chance with his freedom? Divisions are apparent, Lies are flying, and "old man Grimes" don't know where his son is. No one is ready for this, but it's coming anyway.

#61 Z-Man, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. halcyon

halcyon Member

I'd love to see Negan's story go in this direction. Every now and then he escapes and gets up to all kinds of mischief, like stealing the pool table or taping everything in Rick's house to the ceiling. At the end of each issue there's a close up shot of Rick's face as he realises he's been duped once again by that crafty prankster

3. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Ha! His time in prison has turned him batty. Love it!

4. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, the trailer trash lady is there with head bowed, looking away, and arms crossed in front of her, as in a self-protective, insecure stance. She looks like she's shitting a brick.

5. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

This is perfect. :zombies_lol:

6. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

That Negan-Rick encounter: So good!!

7. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

I wish SHane had been around to hang out with Negan, for some reason I think this would be comedy gold...

8. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

I think you've lost this round. This has been a good issue for Dwight loyalists. The 14-issue absence makes sense and his return was not only good but exceeded expectations. And hes being associated with Daryl more and everything.

And face it, you don't like him, but everyone won today. It's been a while since we've had a major character death in the comics, not since the end of the war. We lost Gregory, a character we ALL hate.

9. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

Well, I personally found the deaths of Bernie and Doug hearthbreaking and I thought they were both huge characters.

10. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

I found Doug to be overrated, but Bernie had a way about him. He could've become a fan-favorite if that damn Kirkman wasn't so trigger happy.

11. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

Awww, but I love to hate Gregory, I'll miss him and his moneyshines...

12. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Lol. I'm just f*cking with you, broseph. I agree. Everyone wins! Rest in piss, Gregory! Now to begin selling those t-shirts...

13. boba772

boba772 Member

I'll take three, plus a set for the family.

14. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Every issue would end with that close up and Rick screaming "NEEEGGAAANNNN!!!"--like Fred Flintstone screaming for Wilma at the end of the Flintstones opening sequence. LOL

15. jwcoombs

LOL Negan, Rick, and Shane would have made quite the trio. Especially if it was crazy-about-to-snap-Shane.

16. jwcoombs

Yeah, I'm a little more than irked lately with just how much Kirkman is allowing to show to convolute and influence the comic. He had even gone as far to say in a few interviews and responses in the Hacks that he wasn't going to let that happen; that he would never allow changes made for/in the adaptation of the show to influence the comic story.

But, nonetheless we've seen a very large, and obvious amount of TV influence since the "New Beginning" arc began back in #127. First it was obvious near the end of AOW how Kirkman and Adlard were rapidly trying to mold Carl into an appearance much more akin to Chandler Riggs' current appearance in the show. After that it was Sophia, who after the time skip became the spitting image of Madison Lintz. Now we have Dwight, who obviously has been one of the biggest and most prominent apparent TV show influences. No matter how much Kirkman denies it; the fact remains that Dwight was introduced long after Daryl had become a regular, and beloved cast member on the show, as well as the hard-to-miss fact that, with the exception of his whole "Harvey Dent" look, he is the spitting image of Daryl Dixon. The only thing that kept him separate was his personality. He was much more coarse, deceitful, and unpredictable with very questionable loyalties. But now, not only have they gone out of their way to further evolve him into Daryl, by lengthening his hair, giving him a new vest, dressing him in all black with long sleeves; but, Dwight has also seemed to adopt Daryl's personality as well. Almost overnight, becoming much more shy, private, brooding. Just like Daryl he now stays one the outside of things, slinks around with his head down, makes little eye contact, constantly berates himself or thinks lowly of himself, consoles in Rick intimately, sharing with him his most private fears and insecurities. I mean come on, why can't Dwight just be his own character?

17. jwcoombs

You know, I know it's going to sound pretty hokey to some folks. But, for a long time I've hoped that Negan could actually be the first TWD villain to actually, genuinely accomplish complete redemption. Redeeming himself of all previous acts, making genuine amends, swearing his loyalty to good and being accepted among the communities. Now, I know this wouldn't be easy and would take a lot. And by a lot I mean actions, not words and promises. But, just because it would be a long, hard road doesn't mean it's not possible.

Enemies join forces and settle differences all the time. It's not that far-fetched to see how two men, living in this world could choose to let bygones be bygones. Neither one is more guilty than the other, the world has made monsters out of them both.

But, moving on; the wistfully hopeful fanboy in me yearns for a subplot like this to play out--

Just days before the fair, or possibly as the opening ceremonies are commencing; Rick learns the bad news about Carl and his unknown whereabouts. He's enraged, and even though Maggie tries to explain that Carl and Lydia had feelings for one another, and that the Whisperer's were very large in numbers but clearly were peacefully diplomatic and did not want conflict, and that most likely Carl is not in any danger--Rick won't hear any of it. All he knows is that his son is out roaming the deadlands on his own and Rick won't stand for that. But, knowing the limit of his physical capabilities, and with the fair in full swing; Rick doesn't have many options for sending out a search party. Not to mention, he doesn't want to disrupt the jovial spirit of the festival with bad news which could cause undue worry or panic. Rick feels helpless, not knowing how to go about finding and bringing his son home.

That's when the idea hits him. He abruptly marches toward his home with great purpose in each stride. When he reaches the house he heads straight down the basement steps and into the jail. Negan sits bolt upright, surprised to be getting an unexpected visit from Rick--"What the hell do you want now PawPaw??". That's when Rick, somewhat reluctantly, drops the bomb on him--"Were you serious?", Rick asks. "About what?", Negan replies. Rick hesitates and then continues--"You want to earn my trust? I mean, do you really mean to do whatever's necessary to gain my confidence?". "Yes", Negan responds. Rick once again hesitates, taking a breath before the begins again--"Good. Then go get my son; bring him home."

Then, as the issue winds down and Negan is shown assembling a small party of two or 3 men; he finishes packing his provisions and heads for the ASZ gate. Rick has the gate opened for Negan and has a few parting words with him; stressing the magnitude of this situation and the severity of consequence for fouling up. Negan assures Rick he will bring Carl home safe and begins to exit the gate. Just as Negan and his men have cleared the gate and turn to begin their mission; Rick hollers out the gate before it can close--"Hey Negan! Wait a minute; I almost forgot". Negan stops, and turns around, admittedly a bit puzzled--"Forgot what, old man??". Rick approaches Negan and says--"This, wouldn't want you out there without it"--as he extends his arm to Negan revealing Lucille, just the way she was the day she was taken from him. Negan smirks, and rides off into the deadlands to find Carl.

18. boba772

boba772 Member

I would love something like that to happen. I know it absolutely won't, but I would be extremely happy if it did.

19. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

You never know coombsy has guess and predicted some shit that no one else here had thought of, (or thought to post) and has gotten it correct.

20. a.t.a.k.i.t.h

a.t.a.k.i.t.h Member

\

Negan is going to outlive Rick and be Carl right hand man, my mind its melting!