Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 election AKA The Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 3, 2019.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

You’re way too cynical, my friend. Of course there are crooked politicians who use their positions for financial gain. They sometimes even get caught and convicted like Chris Collins from NYS for insider trading. However, I believe the vast majority try to advance the interests of their constituents who voted them into office. There are rules, procedures and protocols by which politicians are supposed to release their tax returns, report conflict of interests, profits, etc. to make where they get their money more transparent. If they are crooked they may refuse to release the info ala Donald, but with diligent Attorney Generals, reporters, etc. it usually comes out in the wash eventually.

2. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I'd say you're quite naive. *someone* is going to benefit in a big way from this 1 Trillion (+3.5 Trillion) dollar deal. It's a given that whoever that money gets given to will pay their proper tribute back to their fairy godmother in Congress.

3. Morgotha

Some good news on the tax front:

"A federal appeals court on Tuesday ruled against four Democratic-leaning states that mounted a legal challenge to the cap on the state and local tax (SALT) deduction created by Republicans' 2017 tax law.

"We conclude that the SALT deduction cap is constitutional," Judge Raymond Lohier, who was appointed by former President Obama, wrote for the panel.

Republicans limited the SALT deduction to $10,000 in their 2017 tax law in an effort to help pay for tax cuts elsewhere in the measure. GOP lawmakers argue that the cap helps to prevent the federal tax code from subsidizing higher state taxes."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...n-lawsuit-over-salt-cap/ar-AAPazfL?li=BBnb7Kz

4. purriwinkle

Of course *someone* is going to benefit from this economic and infrastructure bill…it’s the American people and yes, I hope they remember who fixed the roads, bridges, promoted clean energy, and racial inequities brought to you by higher corporate taxes.

I also hope they remember who tried to hold up raising the debt ceiling so our government won’t default on expenses incurred during the previous administration. I hope they remember who tried to take away their reproductive freedom, their ease of access to cast their votes, and who would remove things like child tax credits.

#3484 purriwinkle, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. purriwinkle

There’s always plan B.as your article states:

Hazel Crampton-Hays, a spokesperson for New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (D), said the governor's office is "reviewing the court's decision and evaluating potential next steps to deliver relief to New York taxpayers."

She’s a smart woman and I can’t wait to see what they come up with.

6. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Active Member

What’s that Ronald Reagan quote, the worst thing you can hear is it’s the government and we are here to help you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Morgotha

Something to make sure NY taxpayers don't contribute their fair share to help the country, no doubt.

8. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts about the race that's likely shaping up between Hochul and the AG for governor next year? I haven't followed the two very closely but it's going to be interesting.

10. Morgotha

I never knew Biden gave his speeches from a t.v. set of the White House. He must really have trouble remembering what he's supposed to say.

"
    Social media users shamed and mocked President Biden Wednesday after he spoke, once again, from a fake White House set that featured a digital monitor showing the Rose Garden in full bloom.

"The reason Biden uses this bizarre virtual set for televised meetings — and not an actual room like East Room, Cabinet, Oval, Roosevelt, Sit Room, etc. — is because it allows him to read a script directly from a face-on monitor (& w/out teleprompter glass that can be seen on camera)," Stephen Miller, who served as a senior adviser to former President Donald Trump, wrote on Twitter. "

[​IMG]

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...iden-ridiculed-for-using-fake-white-house-set

11. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I’m surprised it hasn’t been done sooner by past presidents. Putting up and taking down all that lighting and camera equipment could become tedious.
    This way, they have their own tv news station that can fit all the reporters.
    And it’s so much better to hear them, instead of, let’s say, over the roar of a helicopter.

Just shows me that Biden and his administration is thinking.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. purriwinkle

Besides Sharpie’s great point about not having to set up and break down everything necessary for a televised speech in an ordinary room, I like the idea that he prepares a speech or has one prepared for him and he sticks to the script. Even President Trump used a teleprompter I believe but I’m not sure how often he stuck to it. It was never as amusing as his frequent word salads and off point musings though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. purriwinkle

There you go again…..:D JK

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. purriwinkle

It’s still a bit early since Hochul is the only one who has actually come right out and said she’s running for re-election. There’s a few who are making some noises but haven’t actually committed.

James seems talented but I wish she’d do the job she has now.
    She made a big deal about bringing Trump to justice and unless she delivers who can trust her to deliver anything she promises she’ll do. It’s bound to come up in a primary if there is one. Besides it’s too soon after she cut Cuomo off at the knees. It might appear that she only pursued the issue to make headlines and rid herself of a popular Gov. that she could never have competed against and won under any other circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Morgotha

It also shows they have no problem *lying* to the American people. When they say the president is giving a speech from the Oval Office, one expects them to actually be IN the Oval Office. Since they aren't actually IN the Oval Office, why pretend to be if not to deceive U.S. citizens who aren't "in the know"?

17. Morgotha

18. DeadZedHead

Lol. I was going to point this out. The entire argument against using a teleprompter is ridiculous. Virtually all presidents have speech writers. Many used notes or teleprompters. trump used both but his ability to read them (probably bad eyesight) lead to him literally throwing them away mid speech. Somehow spewing made up nonsensical diatribes full of insults, misinformation and half thoughts is better than sticking to fact checked, coherent messages? Its a presidential address not a 4 am toilet tweet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DeadZedHead

This is pretty minor. Also did they SAY he was in the oval office? Or did he just give a speech and people noticed he had a green screen? trump lied about lying on a near daily basis. If you want to talk about deceiving the public, it would probably take a few Presidents combined to equal him. (And the stupidity of of the lies was both unnecessary and petty) I just read a Fox article that says “people distrust mass media”. Then posted numbers. 11 percents of Republicans trusted mass media. 38% independents. And 67 % of Democrats!! Ya! Conservative outlets have been telling their viewers not to trust mass media. They listened. Shocking!

20. Morgotha

It's one thing to have a teleprompter obviously in front of you. It's another to construct a t.v. set so you can appear to NOT have a teleprompter in front of you when you really do. I've got no problem with the president using a teleprompter, but like it less if they are pretending to not use one when they are.