Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

4x07 'Dead Weight' Interviews Thread

Discussion in 'Episode 407 - Dead Weight' started by H5N1, Feb 9, 2014.

1. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Add interviews by the cast & crew here, along with the source link.

@Tony Davis & @legendx66

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

The Walking Dead Season 4 Q&A with David Morrissey (The Governor)

[​IMG]

With The Governor back in the spotlight on The Walking Dead, AMC caught up with David Morrissey for their latest Q&A feature. Continue reading to learn about what he did to prepare for the role and his thoughts on The Governor in Season 4. *Spoiler Warning: The events of episode 406 are discussed in this feature.
    via AMC-

Q: When did you find out that you were going to have to grow out your hair and your beard for this season?

A: Yeah they gave me a little heads up with that. I had about a month, really. But also that hair is a wig. I couldn’t have grown my hair out — that would have taken me like four years.

Q: Was that an aesthetic change you embraced?

A: I kept thinking I should go and get myself a Harley or something! In that Georgia heat it can get pretty uncomfortable with the old beard, but I liked it.

Q: The Governor takes shelter with Tara, Lilly and David. Have you ever been taken in by strangers?

A: I’ve done a lot of traveling on my own around the world and there’s been many times where I’ve met people where they’ve helped me out, and taken me in and given me a meal. Particularly when I was a younger man, that happened a lot. I was in Africa when I was about 18, and I met these Kenyan guys — I was climbing Mt. Kenya and they helped me out and I shared a meal and a campsite with them. I was in Venice once and I was sleeping in the train station and a guy there sort of let me travel with them. Those kind of traveling kindnesses have happened a lot to me.

Q: The Governor begins charming his way back into the fold this season. What kind of people have you studied in order to play him?

A: Before Season 3 I read a lot about various leaders, some from a cultish point of view. People like David Koresh, from Waco, Texas and also Jim Jones. But also I read about leaders that we all know and have all voted for. I think what’s happened with the zombie apocalypse is that the Governor has been able to offer security to a whole group of people. And he knows how to keep people in a state of indebtedness to him by creating those secure places. I think that’s very interesting; that’s what modern political leaders do all the time. They want you to be grateful to them and they want you to be worried about the other guy in the race because he’s not going to protect you like I can protect you.

Q: You’re married to one of Freud’s descendants. What do you think the Governor would have to say, sitting on the couch in some analyst’s office?

A: I think an analyst could take a lot of money off the Governor! I don’t think he’s a one session guy. There’s probably a lot going on there. He seems to have a bit of a megalomaniac side, and I think he’s quite angry at the world, which is giving him quite a lot to be angry about. In that Darwinian way, I think there’s an element of survival of the fittest in The Walking Dead. And sometimes you think about the fittest as someone who can run the fastest, and has the biggest muscles. Of course, the fittest is who can adapt most quickly to their surroundings, and I think that’s what happens with the Governor. He’s able to adapt very quickly to new situations that he finds himself in.”

#2 legendx66, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  3. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Remember that kinder, gentler version of the Governor we were introduced to last week on The Walking Dead? You know, the one who was rocking a wacky beard and retrieving oxygen tanks for sick old men? Well, he was decidedly less kind and less gentle in this latest episode (titled “Dead Weight”). First off, he clubbed Martinez with…well, a golf club, and then fed him to zombies. After that, he killed poor Pete (who made the mistake of not raiding another camp for supplies). By the end of the episode, the Governor was back in charge of a group of people, and with his gun trained on his old nemesis Michonne.
    We spoke with the man who plays the Governor, David Morrissey, to get his insight on what we saw from the former Woodbury leader in these past two episodes. Was it the lure of power or need for safety that caused the man to go on yet another murderous rampage? How stable (or unstable) is this guy? And how was he able to play the character in so many different stages over the past two episodes? David Morrissey shares all! Well…almost all. (Click through both pages to read the entire interview.)

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: At first we thought the Governor was maybe a changed man after all he went through. But then we see him murdering his old pal Martinez and then murdering the person that took over as leader after Martinez, so maybe he hasn’t changed so much after all. Or maybe the methods haven’t changed but the motivation has? What’s your take on him at this point in the story and why he did what he did?

DAVID MORRISSEY: Well, the thing about him is I think he’s a man that we see struggling to stay away from that awful responsibility of leadership. He doesn’t want that. He wants to be led. He wants to protect the people he loves. And he’ll do anything he can to protect them, even be subservient if that’s what is needed. He’s in that community with Martinez and I think he just wants to be a quiet civilian, really. But he sees weak leadership around him. He sees the people there who say, “We’ll protect you,” and they’re not able to protect them. They’re not able to protect the people he loves. So he’s forced to take responsibility the only way he knows how and with the thing that has served him in the past, and that is being ruthlessly vigilant when it comes to his duty in leadership and protection.

Nobody else is going to do it. He’s got to step up. He’s got natural leadership qualities so he has to step up and do it. And he doesn’t want to do it, and what we love about him and what we admire about him is his fight before he takes up the reins. He tries to get out. He says to Lilly, “This place isn’t going to be safe anymore. It’s not safe. Things are going to be bad here.” And what he means is things are going to be bad with him. He can feel that dark side rising inside of himself and he’s trying to get away from it. And he can’t get away from it. He tries and he hits this wall of zombies and he knows that he’s got to go back and face that camp and face those people and take the reins of leadership.

EW: Is the Martinez killing a moment of just pure madness where he is fighting against his own impulses? He’s been so emotionally shut down until that point and then we see some of that madness bubble up to the surface.

MORRISSEY: I think Martinez makes the mistake of admitting weakness. He says to the Governor, “I’m not sure I can keep this place safe.” Had he turned around to the Governor on that day where he was playing golf and said, “There is no way this camp is not going to be safe. I’m going to make it safe. I’m going to do everything I can to make it safe,” then the Governor is going to say, “Great, I’ll follow you.” But as soon as the man admits weakness, then the Governor is going to take control. And the Governor is killing him and screaming, “I don’t want it!” What he doesn’t want is the responsibility. He doesn’t want the responsibility he is forced to take because of this man’s weakness. That’s very important. He’s putting a crown on his head that he doesn’t want. But nobody else but him is worthy of wearing it.

EW: And then he kills the one brother, Pete, and takes over the camp because he feels it’s the best way to protect this new family he’s come across. But once gets back in that seat of power, does he start to become comfortable again in that role?

MORRISSEY: The reason he kills the brother is because he doesn’t want weakness. He’s learned form the past that weakness and doubt is a very infectious disease. So he gets rid of the weakness and goes for the strength and the strength is the other brother. For a minute the audience thinks what the Governor is about to do is go kill the bad guy. He’s gonna go kill the tank driver. But he kills the good brother because he knows that he’s got to take that mantle and he’s got to rid of that weakness — the weakness of doubt. His leadership qualities come, I think. He’s a man that’s not afraid to make tough decisions and that’s why he’s a force to be reckoned with.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/24/walking-dead-david-morrissey-dead-weight/

#3 legendx66, Feb 9, 2014
  4. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-spoilers-scott-gimple-659611
    'Walking Dead' Dissection: Scott Gimple Breaks Down the Governor's Deadly Journey

7:00 PM PST 11/24/2013 by Lesley Goldberg

The showrunner talks with THR about the parallels between Rick and the Governor and teases what's to come during the midseason finale in our weekly postmortem.

[​IMG]

AMC

"The Walking Dead's" David Morrissey

[Warning: This story contains spoilers from the "Dead Weight" episode of AMC's The Walking Dead.]

With just one episode remaining in the first half of The Walking Dead's fourth season, the AMC zombie drama connected the second half of the Governor's recent backstory with Rick's present-day group, setting the stage for the duo to finally come face-to-face.

During the penultimate episode, the seemingly reformed Governor (David Morrissey) doesn't last long, killing Martinez and his No. 2, Pete (Enver Gjokaj of Dollhouse) and enlisting his brother Mitch (Kirk Acevedo, Fringe) to be his new right-hand man as he takes over the camp. After a brief attempt to break off on their own, "Brian" and his new family -- Lily and her daughter, Megan, as well as the former's sister, Tara, (and her new girlfriend, Alicia) -- wind up returning to the camp, creating an RV version of Woodbury -- going so far as to solidify the community with barriers and guards against walkers.

However, after Megan nearly dies in a walker attack, "Brian" goes on a supply run and winds up stumbling onto the prison, spying Michonne (Danai Gurira) and Hershel (Scott Wilson) outside of the fences and Rick (Andrew Lincoln) and Carl (Chandler Riggs) tending to the garden. The hour ends with the Governor, clearly back to the life he could not escape, taking aim at Michonne, the woman who put down his zombie daughter, Penny, and claimed his eye.

It all sets the stage for the Dec. 1 midseason finale: Will the Governor, in search of a more stable home to protect his new family, attempt to attack the prison? The Hollywood Reporter turned to showrunner Scott M. Gimple to break down the events of "Dead Weight" and tease The Walking Dead's final episode of 2014.

The new Governor doesn't last too long. What changed from last week?

The Governor was really trying not to engage with Lily, Tara and Megan at all in episode six. He knew that if he got close to them, he'd probably fall in love with them. If he fell in love with them, he'd have to protect them. And if he had to protect them, he'd probably have to go to places that he didn't want to have to go anymore. It's all part of that equation. The thing that changed in him was the very thing he was trying to keep away from: love. He knew what that could mean, and it did change him.

So he's a killer for love? Was that always his motive during his Woodbury days?

The guy he was initially with his family is not necessarily the guy he wound up to be at Woodbury. Things got very mixed up for him. It started with a very benevolent agenda, but the death of Penny, which predated Woodbury, haunted him a great deal. He used to keep her and the love he had for his daughter was intense and very real. I believe that is one of the elements that brought out badness in him, as well as desperately trying to keep the purity of Woodbury safe. For every harsh thing he did, the universe gave him very positive reinforcement. Woodbury just got more and more built up and became more and more beloved. And he became more and more successful. When we meet him in episode six, he's starting at square one again.

We hear the Governor explain that he's not interested in protecting the people who always try to do the right thing -- even if it's at the expense of their own group. We've now seen him try to start over and learn that it doesn't work. Will he be any different now when he sees that Rick is trying to do the same thing and protect his son and their group?

That's a damn good question. It isn't for ego that the Governor is doing this; he's doing this for his people -- Megan, Tara, Alicia and the rest of the group. He wants them to be safe and to live the rest of their lives. He'd be happy if he didn't have to do horrible things along the way -- he's just ready to do them.

The Governor has found the prison -- as well as Michonne and Rick. Is his interest in the prison more about finding a new home for his family and camp or exacting revenge on Michonne and Rick? Or both?

I wouldn't want to get into that story because I think that's a super interesting question that the story answers, because that really is the question: Is he the same guy? Upon seeing them, does this restart his warmth for revenge? That is a very different thing from what he's been doing. That's a question the story answers. One of the most pronounced moments in our story is the big moment when he strikes Martinez (Jose Pablo Cantillo) -- right after Martinez says he couldn't have another wife and child because he isn't sure he could keep them safe. That represses him on that point, and Martinez doesn't really provide him much of an answer. The Governor is surprised and he kills Martinez. It seems like that very much trips the alarm for him.

You've set up a mystery about who was feeding rats to force the prison group out. Is that something we'll see answered in the midseason finale?

It will absolutely be answered, but I'm not going to tell you if it's in the season finale.

It feels like season four -- and most of season three -- has been a lead-up to Rick and the Governor's battle. What will their next encounter look like?

The first five [season-four episodes] were in no way a lead up to [a match-up between] Rick and the Governor. We mentioned the Governor a bit but not much. He appears at the end of five but to finish the story we wanted to tell. This is a different story. Without even getting into the Governor and what he's doing in the finale, this isn't about a couple of guys lining up head-to-head. There's a Rick story in the first five threaded throughout, and then there are a lot of character stories within that. And [episodes] six and seven are very much a story about the Governor, which is like the flip side of episode five, where at the end of that episode we saw the Governor, at the end of seven, the Governor sees the prison.

Can these two groups coexist?

Both Rick and the Governor are trying to step away from who they were and from the brutality of this world. There are very stark parallels between these two guys and their stories this year. One way or another, the stories are going to crash together. Obviously, we know that at the end of seven. But can they coexist? Has Rick come that far? Has the Governor come that far? Quite possibly -- but maybe not. (Laughs.)

Is the Governor's takeover of Martinez's community all part of a larger plan to claim the prison?

No, the Governor absolutely didn't expect this to happen. This is something that he was trying to resist. It was a part of Lily, Tara and Megan's life. He was absolutely trying to avoid becoming a leader in Martinez's group. As he was killing Martinez -- and it's a very conflicted moment -- he said, "I don't want it. I don't want this." It was such a point of anger for him. It was everything he didn't want, but he didn't want love and attachments, which is a seemingly a new wife and little girl and having a family again. With the good things he didn't want, he's also getting the terrible things that he didn't want, too.

Why was it necessary to spend two episodes exploring the Governor's attempt to start over when ultimately he's still the same man at his core?
    I wanted to get to know the character better. I like the character a lot. He's a great villain, but I wanted to know what made him tick and what he's looking for -- and tell a story of a guy fighting his destiny to be a villain -- or at least to be brutal or violent, which is very much what Rick is going through. Rick is fighting his destiny to be a leader in this world and facing brutality. Seeing characters try to change, everything they have to change, and still falling short, and if they can even achieve that change -- I love seeing stories like that. It was a challenge to go to a new world and do a little Governor movie in some ways.
    How would you describe the midseason finale?
    I believe that it fulfills the story of the first seven episodes. It is very much an ending of sorts for a lot of these characters' stories. I can't wait for people to see it.
    How long can Rick's group stay at the prison? We've seen the weak fences and we know the Governor is eyeing it potentially for his group. Plus Rick's people are not at their strongest right now.
    That's a great point. They're not exactly at full strength right now. A lot of people just got through a horrible illness; they lost a lot of people -- including Carol (Melissa McBride) -- and on top of that, Carol being sent away is a potentially explosive situation unto itself. A lot of things are coming to a head all at the same time. It really unfolds at a breakneck pace -- a lot of big things happen. It's a big episode. It's incredibly dramatic.
    What did you think of the Governor's journey? What do you think will happen when -- and if -- Rick and the Governor come face-to-face in next week's midseason finale? Hit the comments below with your thoughts. Check back to THR's The Live Feed later this week for more on the midseason finale. The Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.

#4 Tony Davis, Feb 9, 2014
  5. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

this is complete now [MENTION=4329]legendx66[/MENTION] [MENTION=3700]H5N1[/MENTION]

#5 Tony Davis, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014