Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[516] "Conquer" Live Reactions Thread

Discussion in 'Episode 516 - Conquer' started by TGO, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

THey should ambushed those 2 pigs.

2. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

I don't know; the teaser that aired during the show and during TTD seemed pretty interesting to me.

We already know "Fear the Dead" was going to begin as a sort of "prequel" and then quickly catch up to the current timeline of TWD.

But actually seeing it manifested on screen, seeing the normal, bustling city of LA on what appears to be a normal weekday morning; coupled with the eerie morning radio broadcast talking lightheartedly, and even jokingly remarking--"Good morning Los Angeles! I hope everyone has gotten their flu shot this season! Reports in five states said a strange virus is going around. So if you're not feeling well, go home, take care of yourself."--got me kind of excited for the series.

Because, while I absolutely love TWD, and it's my favorite work of zombie-fiction as well as my favorite post-apocalyptic story/series; one of my favorite aspects of any outbreak/epidemic/social-collapse/apocalypse story is the events of the initial outbreak--the swift and brutal series of events that results in the fall of mankind at a blistering pace.

Those scenes and themes have always had a special place in my apocalyptic-heart. Those volatile and explosive early days are some of the best. When large populations of people are still alive, scrambling, panicking, when some systems manage to remain intact. I love the eerie radio broadcasts, and television news segments that air during the midst of the outbreak. Seeing the panicked military response, the FEMA and refugee camps, the turmoil and trouble that undoubtedly brewed inside those camps, rogue soldiers abandoning their posts and killing innocent civilians, desperate attempts at containment and tragic last ditch efforts that amount to violently firebombing urban areas, large cities and populations centers filled large populations of scared and innocent, naive survivors. Many of these populations would even be larger than normal; due to emergency broadcast systems urging all survivors to relocate to the nearest metropolitan area so they could be more effectively protected.

On top of all that chaotic beauty you have the countless, and very compelling stories and tragic tales that result from the many different mind sets and type of people who are created by the social collapse. First you have the tragically naive suburbanites who believe help is on the way, you have the criminals and the unsavory characters--the type of people who lived on the very edge before the Turn, the type of people who were only kept in line(albeit barely), by the fear and reality of consequences for their actions. Take away the consequences and you're left with the worst kind of people, savage, ruthless, plunderers. Looting, stealing, raping and murdering for literally no other reason than just because they can.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know. But those very early, volatile days of the outbreak; when civilization is on the cusp, teetering precariously on the very edge of complete and utter disaster and destruction--have always been the most captivating and interesting to me.

I'd love to see more of the panicked, and short-lived military and police responses to the outbreak as well as many other things. For example; I've always wanted to see how things would play out at a full-capacity maximum security penitentiary during the outbreak. Would the guards just say "F*ck it." and leave the inmates trapped in their cells while he runs to save his own family? Would they evacuate them to another facility? If so, would they make it? Would the inmates seize the chaos as an opportunity for revolt and freedom? Would the guards release the inmates and let them go be with their families? Would the inmates and guards join forces to have a better chance at fighting back the undead scourge?

Another municipal entity that has always plagued my mind was schools, namely grade schools and grammar schools. All those kids, young, naive, basically defenseless. Would the teacher protect them, fight for them and see them safely to their parents or some other type of sanctuary? Or would they abandon them in the interest of their own selfishness? I know it sounds dastardly, but fear does funny things to people. Would the teachers hole up in the school, fortifying it as much as possible and attempt to wait out the initial outbreak while protecting the children? I mean; it's common knowledge that in the early days of a chaotic viral outbreak which results in a zombie apocalypse the majority of the massive amounts of casualties consists of young children, the elderly, and the infirm.

Something else I'd love to see from this series since it starts off at the very beginning of the outbreak is a hardcore survivalist/doomsday prepper. I mean, it's actually kind of unrealistic that we haven't seen one yet. Tyreese and Sasha said they were holed up in a bunker with a doomsday prepper for the first 9 months of the apocalypse, and that house the Governor and Martinez scavenged in "Dead Weight" was said to have belonged to "one of those hardcore survivalist types". But, those are just subtle little mentions. I know for a fact, in reality, there would be a lot of "prepper" type people who had prepared for this and would be surviving, possibly even thriving.

I'd love to see a hardcore-prepper character in the very beginning of the outbreak. It would be so captivating to watch as he exclaimed--"It's happening! I told you people this was coming! I always knew this day would come!"--and seeing him almost take joy from the events of civilization collapsing all around him. They could make him ex-military, maybe some ex-SF guy who has a bad case of PTSD and was dishonorably discharged and court marshaled for kicking the shit out of a ranking/superior officer. The other characters could encounter him early on and he could become the sort of, de-facto leader of the group due to his skills, abilities, supplies and equipment. He could have a bunker or a secure cabin up in the Hollywood hills or something.

3. jwcoombs

Well, Aaron said--"We had kept their guns. All of their guns. I can't make that mistake again."

So, I was left with the impression that while they may have had knives and weren't technically "unarmed"; Aaron and the others, under the orders of Deanna left Davidson and his crew in a such a disadvantaged, dangerous, and vulnerable position that it would most likely result in certain death.

Also, I'd be willing to bet they took their knives too. Because think about it this way; you're forcibly exiling three survivors, strong survivors, two of which are grown men--so you already know they're not going to be in a friendly mood. On top of that; now you've got to take a long car ride in the same vehicle, and in very, very close quarters. Now I'm sure Aaron, Nicholas and Aiden were armed to the teeth; but even still--all the guns in the world don't make much of a difference when you flying down the road in a chunk of speeding metal. It's difficult to maneuver a rifle inside of a vehicle, and can even be difficult to maneuver and operate a pistol inside of a vehicle when you're under pressure in the heat of the moment. I know if I was one of the exiled and I had a knife, I'd be trying to sabotage that car ride somehow. Stab the driver or slit his throat, causing control of the vehicle to be lost resulting in a crash which would most likely injure several people and give them a chance to escape and take all the weapons(and possibly go back and attack the safe zone). And, if I was one of the people doing the exiling I would certainly be expecting the exiled survivors to attempt an attack or make some kind of move during the drive; so not only would I disarm them completely; but I would have them bound hand and foot as well.

4. jwcoombs

No way! Walker kill of the season was what I affectionately refer to as--"Fire in the Eyes Walker"

Or should it be--"Bright Idea Walker"? LOL

[​IMG]

5. jwcoombs

Yes!

6. jwcoombs

Actually he said something along the lines of, that after all this time together he imagined that Rick and Daryl would have talked about Morgan at some point, or Rick would have talked about it with Daryl. So Daryl could possibly have some idea who this is, or might have a twinge of recognition in his mind saying--"Hey, I think this might be that guy Morgan Rick told me about"; but he certainly didn't know for sure.

Even still, regardless of what he and Rick may or may not have discussed together, and regardless of the fact that Morgan was in possession of a map with Rick's name on it, and even regardless of the fact that Morgan selflessly saved their lives--I don't think Daryl would be naive enough to just immediately completely trust this guy because and tell him that Rick's back at the safe zone and offer to bring him along. He would want to keep him in dark as much as possible, while still subtly trying to convince him to come with them so he can find out for himself if he is someone who knows Rick. Especially if you consider that fact that the last time Rick saw Morgan he was completely bat-shit crazy, volatile, violent, and a liability. So, if Rick did tell Daryl about Morgan I'm sure he would have included that he's become a dangerous maniac. So, just based on that detail alone I think Daryl would play it safe, until he could have Rick positively identify Morgan, as well as figure out what his true intentions are.

7. frawniemae

frawniemae Well-Known Member

I concede. But, it was still da**cool1

8. ella_k

ella_k Member

ahhh Morgan!! Yes!! Iamsohappytheymet :D

9. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Tying them up should make the others safe. They could also give them something to make them groggy during the trip, although then the Alexandria drivers likely would feel obliged to wait for the exiled people to become sufficiently ungroggy before leaving them behind in the wild.

10. KAY EL

KAY EL Member

Given the seemingly big set up for the Wolves....and from what we see in those two douchebags...the encounter with the Wolves will be one big anti-climatic let down...:dead:

11. yoyoitsbenzo

yoyoitsbenzo Member

Nah. I think you're wrong about this. The Hunters, or Termites on the show, didn't have a super huge role in the comic but had a big role in the show. The Hunters didn't have Terminus in the comic. They just roamed around. I'm guessing they are gonna do this with The Scavengers, or The Wolves in the show. So far they seem way more advanced in the show than in the comic. They have traps and seem very efficient in finding victims and marking them. It also seems like all the Ws were put on walkers when they were alive, and if that is the case with all of them, then this group is more deadly and badass than we originally thought. I think Rick and the gang will dispatch them easily, but they will show up late from a run and save the day, when the Alexandrians thought they were doomed, and show them how much they do need Rick and his group, even more than they thought. It'd be cool to see Sasha sneak her way up in the tower, assassinate their sniper who snuck up there, and turn the tide in a matter of seconds. I hope that is how they do it. Season 5 is my second fav season so far, behind season 3 and before season 4. Can't wait for the new season and for Fear The Walking Dead.

12. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Rick's people will come back late from a run, having had to dispatch the wolves, and they will have missed out on fresh pasta Tuesdays courtesy of Mrs. Neudermeyer and her new pasta maker. When the Alexandrians find out what really happened and why Rick's group was late to supper, they will feel bad again and apologize. Rick will say something like, "Well okay then. How about pizza?" Everyone will have a good laugh and then the camera will freeze frame as the closing credits roll.

13. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member