Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[601] "First Time Again" - Live Reactions Thread

Discussion in 'Episode 601 - First Time Again' started by TGO, Oct 5, 2015.

1. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Well it is true,you are back!

The other thing about all of this is just how they had to backtrack to really get the point across about how unprepared the ASZ people have been for all of this. They talked about it a lot and gave superficial examples along the way but nothing as dramatic as that scene building the parade route where they led by Carter actually ran from confronting the dead. Again they hint at it with the Tobin crew where Abe steps up to rescue Francine,they give a decent glimpse in the botched Noah and Aiden dying run but they just come right out with it here which helps make the whole issue of saving the ASZ from itself the only clear and obvious choice overall.

"How many of you I have to kill to save your lives" as he says.

The odd thing though was that the whole Carter thing just comes out of nowhere in the show as we never have a clue he even exists until this episode?

Also notice that the new walls have the supports on the correct side on the route.

2. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I caught that with the wall at Redding and Marshall too. I had to laugh at that; I as like--"Oh, apparently Mr. Architect Carter must have finally learned some construction/structural fundamentals after a few years of living behind his ass-backward walls". LOL

I also agree that it was odd how Carter just seemed to "appear" in 601 as a well established, well liked, and much respected member of the ASZ community. But if you think about it; it's actually not only understandable, but pretty plausible as well. As you mentioned; Carter does seem to just come out of nowhere--but the same can be said for several characters who were introduced in 601 and will be introduced this season.

That being said; in the comic the ASZ is home to roughly 60 residents before Rick and his group arrive. I assume the same goes for the show as well; as we have yet to be told otherwise. Just like in the comic; we follow the story from the point of view of mainly Rick, followed by the pov's of the other members of Rick's personal group. This results, in both the comic and the show, in our perspective, as well of the perspective of the narrative being very stifled and claustrophobic. When experiencing everything from such an isolated and specific point of view; it makes perfect sense that it would take some time to be introduced and encounter 60 individuals(as it took some time in the comic as well--and we never truly met everyone). You also have to take into account the opinions, perspectives, and feelings of the ASZ residents. Imagine you're one of them and a group of ferocious, hardened, intimidating, ruthless and brutal survivors/warriors numbering over a dozen shows up on your door step. They're all extremely well armed and proficient in combat, and they all have the eyes of a killer. Being in that position; I think it's safe to assume that a great many residents have just chose to completely steer clear of, and avoid the newcomers. Going out of their way to not encounter any of these "ruffians". So, it actually makes perfect sense that we're going to continue to see new characters and residents slowly trickle into our perspective as viewers. And, more often than not, the nature of such introductions are going to give the appearance of "coming out of nowhere".

Also, I loved Rick's "test" scene at the barricade wall. Like you said, they had mentioned and talked about the ASZ residents' incapability and naivety since last season but never truly exemplified it in a solid way. This was the perfect way to do it. I absolutely loved it. For all intents and purposes, the work site was a completely controlled and secured environment under Rick and the gang's supervision. No one was actually in any real danger. Making it the perfect opportunity for some real world assessment of the Alexandrians. This truly showed just how incapable they are, as well as just generaly cowardly. Carter could talk some big talk; but it was him looking to Rick with big puppy-dog eyes yelling--"Pleeease, help us!". I loved the parallels as well. There was almost a dozen Alexandrians at the work site, but it was an isolated group of five, "led" by Carter who were closest to the action. The first example of weakness was the fact that all of their fellow Alexandrians backed off and left the group of five nearest the treeline deal with it, they didn't attempt to help. Then, it was about a half dozen walkers that came out of the woods, all of them rather slow and very emaciated and weak. So, they weren't outnumbered of overwhelmed. And then the kicker, the five of them did nothing beside slowly and continuously retreat from the walkers all while grouping tighter and tigher together as if they were trying to absorb one another, LOL. They then cry desperately for help and Rick calmly encourages them, cheers them on, and even give them advice, basically walking them through exactly what they need to do to succeed in defending themselves. But they are completely shaken and paralyzed with fear; they have broken and tragedy is imminent when Morgan runs in. This is my favorite parallel right here; Morgan included, there were only 5 of Rick's group members who stepped up to handle the minor threat. The exact same amount of people who Rick was testing and assessing. Same amount of people, same potential, same possible capability; but one fundamental difference-- The Alexandrians are so weak, and more importantly so completely overwhelmed and controlled by fear that they cannot even defend their own lives. This scene highlighted that beautifully and fully. The best and most impactful part being that Deanna was their to witness it all; and you could see the epiphany and fear dawn on her face. All this time she thought they were strong, resilient, survivors who were able to fight this evil world back into a corner and endure; managing to build a good, sustainable life. She now realizes, all they have accomplished was solely the result, the byproduct of nothing more than complete, and utter dumb luck.

3. WoodyZombie

WoodyZombie New Member

LOL. Oh no that would Suk! (my Favorite) ;~)

4. WoodyZombie

WoodyZombie New Member

"But they are completely shaken and paralyzed with fear; they have broken and tragedy is imminent when Morgan runs in."

It was interesting that Rick yelled for Morgan to Stop there, he clearly wanted the demonstration to go Even Further to make their ineptitude clear to everyone.

I miss Otis Too, there's still flashbacks ;) I just BINGE watched the entire 5 seasons in 4 days a second time and went right to seeing the new one.. YAY! I usually hate Any zombie stuff but this is So darn Good! and remains so... I think its BECAUSE it was something before. It has been considered, Evolved over time AND has marinated, aged like a fine wine to become this Distilled bit of refined speculative entertainment. Superb... Ugly... Thank God they show glimpses of our Good side.

5. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I thought it showed Rick's failure as a leader, not really weakness by Carter. These are people who have never had to face a single walker, right? Before Rick even let them outside, he should have said, "OK, we're going outside and I can't protect you, you'll have to fight for yourself, everyone keep a hammer or something on them in case walkers show up. Aim for the head, etc." and trained them even if very briefly for what they were about to face. Remember the truck hadn't fallen then, there was no time pressure on them. IOW, teach them what they were going to face and give them some time for mental preparation and it might have been a different outcome.

People are the most irreplaceable resource they have, and Carter was a skilled person. Rick shouldn't have wasted his life and experience without proper instruction any more than a fire chief should send brand new volunteer firemen to a burning building before they have been trained to be firemen.