Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[602]- JSS- Complaints and Criticisms

Discussion in 'Episode 602 - JSS' started by Neuropyramidal, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Dead_Inside

Dead_Inside Member

Yeah I thought they'd set it up for an accidental shooting of one of the key characters

2. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

This part for me. He's now a part of something besides himself. His actions have consequences for other people. A common motif on TWD is: If you let someone live and they come back to kill someone in your group, how ethical are you then?

OOT: Huge props for "holy broom." I shall never sweep my kitchen the same again.

3. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Ha ha...I pulled some Morgan moves while sweeping leaves off my front porch yesterday. My son came out and I flipped some leaves at him...."leave" I said , then did what I thought was some pretty righteous moves with my blue broom.
    The fam thinks I done popped my cork. In all fairness, I probably did not look as cool as I felt. However, I will continue to do this whenever possible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. calliope

calliope Active Member

I do agree with you, on both counts. She is a psychiatrist though, and they are an odd bunch. She references having panic attacks, perhaps without meds, in the ZA, her behavior might be somewhat understandable, but its thin.

I also think that TWD often manipulates characters in order to make the plot work. Not the best approach to building believable characters.

5. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

Psychologist, not psychiatrist, here, but conversant enough to know that none of us in either profession ever expect to be depicted realistically, even in shows that don't involve fantastical worlds. We're either bone-stick-stone stupid or sleeping with our clients.

Interestingly, the first-line treatment for panic attacks isn't actually medication, but a cognitive strategy. Meds can be and are used for anxiety, but they're not like anti-depressants (and some other psychotropics), whose effectiveness are predicated on regular use. That's why you'll hear people talk about reaching "therapeutic levels" in a person's bloodstream for an anti-depressant: you typically start low to see how the person will tolerate it, then bump up to the effective level. By contrast, something like Klonopin can be taken prn (as needed) in the same way aspirin can be: both can address a spike in something (anxiety/pain) in fairly quick fashion. Klonopin, Ativan, and Xanax all take hold within 15 minutes; nobody ever feels better from an antidepressant after 1 pill. (This is also what made anti-anxiety agents so much more likely to be abused. Nobody abuses their Cymbalta.)

OK, I digress: key point, a psychiatrist would hopefully know some other strategies (e.g., cognitive strategies; meditation) to deal with anxiety such that being "off her meds" wouldn't look the same as someone w/ depression or, more dramatically, schizophrenia. If she suffers from both depression and anxiety, then she'd probably have a "double-duty" med like Effexor, which does need to be taken daily.

This concludes our discussion on "Mental Health Concerns in the Zombie Apocalypse: A World Quite Possibly Without Meds, Just When We Need Them Most."

6. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

I thought Jessie fighting with the female wolf, landing on the ground then somehow getting pulled to her feet only to be thrown to the ground was meh.:zombies_confused:

7. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I thought she was feigning being bested when she landed on the floor, a tactic she could have perfected when being tossed around by her husband. If so, easy for her to get right back up again when she peeked and saw the Wolf's back was to her. Then the fight resumes.

8. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Not to belittle anxiety sufferers, as I do believe that it's possible for anyone to develop a crippling anxiety, but like you say, one would think that a psychiatrist would have some coping mechanisms at this point, especially as she was chatting pretty glibly on the chair. My issue is really that she initially was refusing to treat her patient no matter how anxious she felt about it. I can understand if she was afraid, but the man is bleeding from a severed femoral artery and she's just sitting there watching? The guy is dying in front of your face! I can't see anyone letting her get away with that type of behavior during her medical training. If there was someone else nearby to do the operation, sure, stabilize them and wait. Since there is NO ONE else, she should have sucked it up and did what she could.

I think [MENTION=40811]zombiemom62[/MENTION] got it right, most of the normal docs probably died off, and the misfits are left... but I guess most everyone has died off, haven't they?

And as a bonus, I can remember a lecture from a psychiatrist who wanted to show how rare something was, and his example was, "if you were to fill up the baseball stadium, and stand on the field and start throwing baseballs at people up in the stands, you'd probably be there you're whole life before you hit someone with this disease." That still ranks as #1 for the most bizarre analogy I've ever heard.

9. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I KNEW I liked you for a reason! I did a similar thing this summer with a garden post. I was cool in the moment, until my child saw me. I did not get to have the witty retort of "leave."

10. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

we had a family friend who was a psychiatrist. He missed his flight- by mins.- on the Korean flight 007 that was shot down by the Russians, in 1983. He suspended His practice for 2 years. He just could not get over the fact, that it should have been him, it could've been him and why wasn't it him? We all process in different ways.

11. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

That is so funny:Grin:

12. Kang

Kang Member

My only complaint is when Jessie stabbed the wolf to death with the scissors. Wish she would have turned to Ron and told him to sit his ass down for his haircut and stop being a bitch, or end up like this bitch on the ground under me. She said she didn't want a hair cut either. lol

13. Dead man walking

How about the fact that Morgan is the reason for all this shit in being a effin *****? Just ****ing do your bit. Jeez, even Carol showed everyone how it shpould be done - Carol is a LEGEND (she annyed the shit out of me b4 but now, that's how it's done). For all the Navy Seals out there she's better than you. and almost as good as SAS.

14. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

Overall, a great episode...but did think Spencer was ridiculously weak. Asking "is that what it's like out there?" (or similar). Has he been in a coma for 2 years?! Also thought it strange how the new Doc and the others were concentrating on saving Holly's life whilst a group of rampaging murderers could burst in on them at any moment...surely they had more pressing concerns?:Grin:

15. Berry

Berry Member

Why is the picture representing this episode (on this forum anyway) that of Maggie aiming a gun? Did Maggie even pick up a gun the entire time?