Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[603] Thank You- Complaints and Criticisms!

Discussion in 'Episode 603 - Thank You' started by Neuropyramidal, Oct 23, 2015.

1. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I thought so at first, but on re-watch I think we are seeing the results of the exit wound hitting Glenn.

2. goalie

goalie New Member

Yup. But, when you see them falling off the dumpster together, his head is way too intact for someone who just did a self-inflicted side cranial shot that splattered as much as we saw hit Glen.

3. JMac

JMac Member

As gross as this is to think about....
    Its something I hadn't thot about and true. He head was still intact.

4. Hope the Savior

[​IMG]

I recommend they start with the 24-pack. You can easily lose yourself in the 64-pack, and the 96-, 120-, and ultimate 152-pack collections can be overwhelming. ;)

I'm copacetic with the aforementioned portrait for those Alexandrians who have resided in the ASZ since or near the beginning and have never ventured outside the walls. And I completely understand most of the Alexandrians being reluctant to kill living, breathing enemies until forced to do so.

I'm just disappointed this caricature applies to almost everyone. I guess I was just hoping to see more than five Alexandrians portrayed as strong, competent survivors before Rick and company arrived. Given the Alexandrians’ conventions, however, I know the low number of capable survivors is probably due to the pusillanimous Alexandrians deserting and sacrificing the good people.

I’m okay, in a way, with Glenn dying as an unintended consequence of Nicholas’ suicide. Glenn died trying to save Nicholas, and Nicholas, despite trying to better and redeem himself, still got someone killed. So as inane as it seems, Glenn’s death would still be somewhat poetic and befitting of his character. Plus, it would further reinforce the “you can’t save everyone” motif. Heck, even the moment’s sequence in the story again reminded us that death happens and life moves on.

Now, don't get me wrong. I’m still pissed that quick-thinking Glenn couldn’t rescue himself and Nicholas from this situation. But the gimmicky nature of the "death" is what thoroughly infuriates me. This publicity stunt belittled a beloved character’s "death" and consequently enraged Glenn fans and upset regular fans. And the show deliberately delaying the reveal of Glenn’s true fate further ignites the rage.

Honestly, I’m not sure how Gimple & co. can thoroughly salvage this situation. Glenn’s psyche cracking and him subsequently hallucinating his and Nicholas’ deaths could be an interesting, plausible, and even very pleasing explanation. To explain the clicking of Nicholas’ gun, Glenn’s hallucination would probably have to begin immediately after Nicholas shot himself.

After witnessing such a horrific event, Glenn’s mind momentarily disconnects from reality. Glenn's overwhelming guilt about not properly mentoring Nicholas—namely, his permitting Nicholas to volunteer for this endeavor when he knew Nicholas wasn’t ready—manifests itself as a hallucination where Glenn desperately tries one last time to save Nicholas…only to get himself killed as well. Such a haunting image would shake Glenn to his core because it would question not only the purpose of his ideology, but also its practicality.

But no matter how they rectify the situation, whenever I reflect upon this moment, I will always think, “Remember that time Gimple was the ultimate mother dick and dicked us over?” And a good number of fans may share my sentiments.

5. Hope the Savior

I'm still going to give you rep anyway for sharing it with us.

Yeah, this little stunt just cemented Gimple a new title in my book: ultimate mother dick.

6. Zalanii

Zalanii Member

It's important to remember with the Alexandrians is as Michonne said, they simply don't know.

This group is similar to Woodbury, minus the small paramilitary part. The governor was shocked that Rick's group took the prison with such a small group, which means Rick and Co. is very exceptional. We shouldn't expect it from any other group.

Alexandria is sheltered, very few zombies, very few other people, plentiful stores to scavenge. Yes they built the wall, but under the best of circumstances. But their luck is running out.

7. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

Wait--a second shooter?!? Maybe on...A GRASSY KNOLL?!?! (To those unfamiliar with the phrase: many of the people who don't believe that Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy without assistance refer to a second shooter stationed on a grassy knoll.)

Seriously, though, even if I didn't hate Glenn being killed (and I will hate it if he is), that whole scene must have been conceived and shot when all involved save the actors were mainlining fermented cola canned ham. Grotesque blood-spray from suicide shooting by a guy who had no bullets moments ago? No problem. One of the most resourceful guys in the apocalypse ends up forgetting how to climb higher than a dumpster? Hey, whatevs...

8. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

Correct but the blood splatter appears to defy the laws of physics. Here is a highly diagrammatic drawing of the scene.
    [​IMG]

9. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

obviously you haven't studied physics in TWD universe...

10. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

@Mr Bag--The grotesque nature of the issue aside, how much do I love you for this diagram? (Answer: A lot.) And yes, it's hard to envision a scenario in which Nicholas shoots himself and the blood sprays on Glenn, unless he turned to face the walkers after looking at Glenn to thank him. Never mind the whole "Hey, where'd those bullets come from?" aspect.

@Hope the Savior: You had me at "pusillanimous," and then took possession of my house with the revelation that there's a 152-pack of crayons. I had to take a moment when I read that.

The show-runners can't have it both ways: take pride in how gritty and unsparing the show is (anyone can buy it at any moment) and then do something so craven and manipulative as having viewers tape their reactions to the grotesque death of a beloved character while Gimple takes the unprecedented step of sending a note for Hardwick to read on TTD--all very somber and dramatic. Of course they're manipulating viewers, as all entertainment does. Heck, even documentaries are edited. But this is mere blatant jerking around. You pose an interesting question re: future repercussions. Are Gimple et al. so convinced of our adulation that he figures we'll go along with anything so long as it's graphic enough? That wild twists and the ensuing reactions are the same as character development and cogent storytelling? As @tink astutely noted, this is venturing into zombie soap opera territory.

Re: Glenn's possible hallucination and downward spiral, one of the things I've always wondered is the extent to which he and Maggie have talked about their choices around putting themselves at risk in order to help or save other people. Glenn has done so on numerous occasions. If he is in fact dead, how will Maggie handle the understandable anger that he chose to risk and ultimately lose his life in a vain attempt to save someone that is arguably not worth saving? If he's alive, how much will he mull over how close he came to dying, to sacrificing his life with Maggie so that Nicholas had a chance to play hero with him? I could see an interesting twist in Glenn's character in which he essentially says, "Screw everyone else but us. If you can't take care of yourself, don't expect me to jump in and do it." A bitter and cynical Glenn would be quite a 180.

#110 WalkingBuckeye, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  11. Johnnie Walker

Johnnie Walker Well-Known Member

People should learn physics from team delusional.

12. Hope the Savior

After careful research, I've come to the conclusion that physics in TWD universe follows one simple rule: whatever TPTB want to happen, will happen...your physics be damned.

Behold the glory of Crayola's Ultimate 152-Piece Collection.
    [​IMG]
    Yep, it includes a caddy and a sharpener!

Hmm...I'm not really sure. Your questions remind me of last season's flipping van fiasco. Most fans said, "WTF?!" to that but eventually dismissed it as "physics according to TWD." Mayhaps they were testing the waters then, and since we forgave something so blatantly erroneous, they believed we would be just as accepting of other ludicrous scenarios. I honestly don't know why TPTB are doing this. I hope there is good explanation, but I doubt it.

During his Talking Dead appearance, Tyler James Williams explained the meaning of his last words to Glenn: "Don't let go." He knew his death would devastate Glenn, possibly even break him, so in his final moments, he beseeched Glenn to retain his humanity and basically not give into this world. I think Noah’s appeal helped Glenn maintain his humanity and inspire his handling of Nicholas.

So if Glenn does live, Noah’s wish will help him again overcome any reluctance he may have about saving others. As will Hershel’s memory—his character, his disposition, his integrity. I think honoring Noah and Hershel’s memories would help Glenn and Maggie soldier onward and prevail when such an ideology seems so dangerous and frivolous in this world.

Likewise, even if Glenn is indeed dead, honoring her husband and her father’s examples would help Maggie during her grief. And if ever or whenever she felt herself questioning this mentality, I think her father's "You Risk Your Life" speech would strongly resonate with her and remind her to live by his and Glenn’s standards.

13. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I don't mind them polling for people's reactions, etc. as if it makes money the show will go on that much longer. OTOH, if they do something so cheesy it puts TWD in to Z-Nation silliness, my emotional investment will drop to Z-Nation levels along with it -- I won't stop watching, but I'll quit taking it seriously. Who knows, perhaps next season TWD will kill off someone with the Liberty Bell, or a giant Cheese Wheel! Fine, as far as it goes, but it won't be TWD any more.

On Maggie, she won't know about Glenn's decision or actions in a "realistic" TWD, Glenn and Nicholas just won't come back. She won't have any emotions except loss and anger. Loss because her husband and father of her child is dead, and anger at everyone and everything because of the same.

14. Zalanii

Zalanii Member

If this show was realistic..
    Everyone should be dead from malnutrition, cholera, Judith should be dead from, mumps, measles, whooping cough, literally anything.
    Not to mention the gangrene.

None of the cars should work at this point.

So don't let "realism" get in the way here.

15. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

People have lived without real medicine throughout recorded history. Judith has the advantage of everyone around her being vaccinated, so her chance of contracting a communicable disease is very low, especially as they aren't interacting with large amounts of outside people. She'll probably do o.k. On the cars? I can see dead batteries being a real problem, as well as poorly performing gasoline being a real problem, but other than that, I can't see why someone who's fairly skilled in mechanical things couldn't get something running again. And how about propane? If they find a propane powered car, and put a battery in it, why wouldn't it work like it does now?

16. Zalanii

Zalanii Member

Cholera kills people especially during natural disasters all the time. Even as recently as 20th century, whole neighbourhoods in new York city were filled with the dead due to poor drinking water. That's why for.most of history we drank beer.

As for the cars, it's very unlikely any of the gasoline should still be any good.

17. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

If Glenn climbs in a sewer, or hides under the dumpster and lives I feel it will be shoddy, but I just want this scenario resolved so the show can move on from it and get back how it should be. And then kill someone "big" off for real to make up for it. It isn't too far of a stretch from the van drop scene, if I twist my mind to think so.

18. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Agreed. Nicholas was facing Glenn, and held the empty gun to the side of his head, which means the blood from the non-existent bullet would have sprayed the fence, not Glenn's face.

This is honestly the shoddiest thing they've ever done on the Walking Dead. Gimple has got to go.

19. rustybag

rustybag Member

The governor side-stepping the walker in season 4 is my personal favorite :)

[​IMG]

20. tink

tink Well-Known Member

lol, I forgot about that one.