Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Advanced Warfare Multiplayer Advanced Warfare Multiplayer First Impressions.

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare' started by PSIII, Nov 2, 2014.

1. PSIII

PSIII The Real West Don. (Super Moderator)
    Staff Member

I tried to play it twice today. First time, I sat around waiting to join a lobby for five minutes. Second time, took around three minutes. Managed to find a game that time, but the game froze mid-match after one of the deaths.

2. musky123

musky123 Member

this boost jumpingis horrible,complete choas it,s like a bunch of ping pong balls bouncing all over the place(stupid)i really hope the have a game node where the jumping is disabled.

3. A.C

A.C Well-Known Member

Agreed.

So much agreed.

Game is JUNK. It's not that I can't deal with new mobility - I have a 5KD (v Pilots) on Titanfall. The exo-movements implementation is neither smooth or beneficial. Very clunky and, for me at least, very awkward and tempramental.

I'm playing on XBONE - every thing you have mentioned is as is, or worse.

I am a serious FPS player, tryhard even - I can deal with sucking at the game and learning to improve (it's how I started when I was poor at MW3, my first shooter) but this has taken a massive element of my game/strategy away.

The map knowledge/spawn knowledge and knowledge/experience I have built up of routes over the last few years does no favours for you in this game.

It's all about twitch-reflex shooting. The guy with the better connection and twitch reactions wins. Simple as - in previous COD's I could compensate for slower reactions (they weren't that bad, but twitch-reflex, 360 turn-ons weren't my forte... never getting out-foxed or caught from behind was my forte.. and that has disappeared)... I'm not talking about camping, or "patrolling" - I did neither and had strong KD's, W/L's and SPM's as a single TDM, Kill Confrimed and Domination player.. Swarms, VSATS's, Helo Pilots etc.

Am I sad that I can't pub stomp with that Ghosts 3.7KD... NO! I'm disappointed that I cannot see how I can improve. There is no way I can improve at the game, because they have taken out the strategic edge that I had and replaced it with the 'he who is twitchiest, wins' mentality.

No flow to the maps, no flow to the game. It's kill. Boost. Get killed. Spawn. Get killed from spawn. Re-spawn. Boost away.

Game is not for me.

4. Strike Shamrock

Strike Shamrock Well-Known Member

I haven't been on in a while and don't generally post much but the spawns in this game are beyond bad. Like PSIII was saying, I have been shot in the back soooo many times and have been instantly spawn killed countless times. The increased mobility in the game combined with small maps has made for a spawning nightmare. I just quit a few minutes ago out of pure frustration. You never know where your enemy may be coming from. I spawn, start pushing forward and seconds later an enemy spawns behind me and shoots me in the back. I have seen enemies spawning directly in front of me several times.
    I don't know how they are going to fix this mess but something has to change from the way it is now.

My second complaint: NO Dedicated Servers! Again!
    For those of you with really good internet living in or near a city this is not an issue. But for those of us in rural areas who have below average to poor internet it makes a difference. I can play Titanfall without any latency issues. I ping the North Central Server at around 40ms consistently. With BO2 and Ghosts I ended up backing out of alot of matches do to my high ping to the host resulting in a very noticable latency disadvantage. I have noticed this same issue with Advanced Warfare as is expected with PTP hosting. (However I will say that my connection has been much better than BO2 ever was and a little better than Ghosts. So an improvement in that area.)

For the positives: I actually like the gameplay. Very fast pace with good hit detection. If they fix the spawning I think I will really like the game. The guns have nice recoil and feel but they should have added more to choose from.

Oh, and the classic mode is a very nice addition for those who don't like the exosuit gameplay and spawning is actually better in this mode due to the lesser mobility.

Will post an update after more gameplay.

• Like Like x 2
  5. russ7000

russ7000 Member

I like it so far... still have not made the time to really get into it all... but so far so good... I have not played all the boards yet

6. Sulq

Sulq Super Moderator
    Staff Member

There's a learning curve in this game. I do get shot a lot from behind and the maps/spawn system seem weird. I do like the game and the double jump even. I just hate the sporadic jumping fairies that are literally going 25/25 and killing you in the air, from behind etc.

Other than that, I do enjoy the game for what it is. It's the pyscho jumping of people that make it difficult. Not to mention the verticality and how everyone is always on a roof.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PSIII

Staff Member

Welcome back.

The KDs. I run 3-5 (monthly) in MW3, ran 3-4 in BO2, and did my infamous 5 on Ghosts. I can barely manage a 2 in this game. There's nothing I can do when turning the screen. Some guy pops out or spawns just as I do so.

Back on weapon balance, because nobody seems to be taking about it anywhere. This game has the worst weapon balance since BO. As I said before, nothing other than several of the assault rifles and maybe one sub is truly viable. I done picked up one of the heavy weapons from a drop yesterday. The laser one. Wanted to try it out. Turns out it's semi-automatic and each kill takes no less than three shots and it'll take much more at range. The energy actually obstructs you're view so bad. All while the enemy shoots at you with a fully automatic assault rifle. Semi automatic in general is useless. The MK 14 is not the beast it was in MW3. Much harder to shoot accurately and adjust for the recoil and the damage drops off much sooner.

8. MERCURYSB3

MERCURYSB3 Well-Known Member

should be some Drift0r vids out by now.

#28 MERCURYSB3, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  9. PSIII

Staff Member

Seems Domination is the only payable mode. Much better than TDM. Switch to that. I think I will. However, you need to rush and act quickly.

10. A.C

A.C Well-Known Member

Similar - I appreciate that it's not a K/D contest, but I've literally been between a 2 - 4KD on everything COD since MW3 (apart from the very early days of MW3, when I was literally worse than a xmas noob - i.e my first online shooter experience; I did not know what silencers did, benefits of perks, etc but I recovered to a 1.6 and on a second account tested myself to see how much I had improved and got to a 2.4 using a non-Assassin rule - played 100% solo during this time too).

Let's not even get on to Titanfall.. It's something like a 5KD on my main account and 10 on a second account that I created to see how much I had improved.

I was good at these shooters - and if I come across arrogant, it's not my intention.. it's the truth. Never quit or lobby-surfed either, had my ass-handed to me occassionally, but also man-handled full, sh!t-talking parties, single-handedly. I was good. If someone had shaper reflexes, I felt I had the sharper brain...

This game.. WOW. It's a twitch shooter - no place in it for someone like me (I feel like Brooks from Shawshank Redemption). No time to think.. Just react.

Oh and just to add.. I have a 1.4KD In this game, only God knows how.. because I don't.

#30 A.C, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  11. RobCatOKC

RobCatOKC Member

The Road to Yawnsville...

I really wanted this COD to be the Badass Explosive Fragfest of Badassitude that I was promised in the trailer...

...what I got was 'meh'. COD:AW isn't unplayable, but it sure isn't a game you'd rush home to play. And it sure as hell doesn't live up to the hype. Disclaimer: I didn't mess with the campaign, just went straight to multiplayer. If the MultiP doesn't grab me right out of the gate, the game goes back to the rack. So these are just my first impressions.

From up here, you all look like tiny little ants!
    The GF and I just got done playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!, and guess what? They have jet packs in that game because most of it takes place in reduced gravity. In fact, BL:TPS practically herds you into airborne combat with all the O2 (oxygen) kit mods available. So we were actually primed for the Exo experience. In fact, controlled combat jumps became second nature to us so our learning curve for Exo abilities was as flat as a drag strip.

Bottom line: AW's Exo ability is NOT the force-multiplier or game changer of the millennium. But if you mod it right, the Exo can be kind of fun.

Pick Yer Poison, Matey
    You can now pick 13, instead of 10, 11, etc. You're gonna need those extra spaces for your Exo mods which they seem to be pushing. Perks are the old standbys: Cold-Blooded, Toughness, Blind Eye, etc. It's easy enough to set up a class for different styles. Doesn't seem to be stealth-friendly. They're really hawking the fast-paced Exo experience. I have not messed with grenades much yet. The default frag is meh and tosses weird. I do not like the look of the loadout menu or GUI or interface or whatever. It seems shoddy. Like it was an afterthought. Just a buncha rectangles with items in them and I cannot find certain things, like my .000001 K/D ratio. Although I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

Bottom line: Blind Eye with Cold Blooded is the stealth secret to this game. Get these, a suppressor, find a ground floor doorway, and pick off all the seagulls fighting each other in the air. Good times.

Guns Guns Guns!
    Not really. I have yet to find one that I want to drive off the showroom floor. Assault Rifles seem to be pretty good this time around. Glad they brought back the MK14, but it seems nerfed from MW days. I like the IMR a lot (similar to the SMR in BLOPSII, which was a beast!). The AK12 is ok. The BAL-27 is a good all-arounder. SMGs are meh and don't seem to be OP like before. The KF5 is a suprisingly great gun. Hella range and you get that 'first burst is the worst' extra damage on your first five rounds. Made a difference between life and death for me a couple of times. Pistols are toys. Shottys have NO range whatsoever. I couldn't even hit the back targets on the firing range. The S12 is great for pump 'n dump if you're in a building. Otherwise leave it at home. The Bulldog is similar to the one in Ghosts. Snipes are ok, but I was never any good at it and can't quickscope for nothin', but I really like the MORS. Quick and lotsa power. Didn't try the 'energy' weapons. Got enough of that with the new laser gun addition to BL:TPS. This one seems suspiciously similar. I do not like most of the sights. The red dot seems weird to me. And I hate the numeric nomenclature. Especially in the SMGs:

Me: Dude, what are you using?
    Dude: The MXYZPTLK with Frizzicator Action!
    Me: uh, ok.
    Dude: What're you totin'?
    Me: The 1000110011.

Don't even get me started on the camo grind. And it WILL be a grind.

Bottom line: Time will tell on what works best in which loadout. It seems to be a distance game for the most part. Gun balance seems to be all over the place with no happy medium. Modded guns from supply drops seem to be pot luck, but you can make a similar one from the attachments available. TankGirl got a modded AK12 in a supply drop and now I'm jelly. I ended up getting Puerto Rican Fence Climbers. Go figure.

Will Work for XP!
    What is up with selling loot for XP? Got a crappy pair of Puerto Rican Fence Climbers in your last supply drop? Sell 'em for XP! Don't need that MXYZPTLK Frizzicator anymore and want to prestige that much faster? Sell it for XP! Borderlands again. Destiny as well. Shoot and Loot.

Bottom line: Cheap mercenary vibe stolen from B-Lands, Destiny, hell even Diablo and Skyrim. Like I don't have enough to mess with. Now I gotta spend time to sell off periodically. I am not here for loot. I am a hi-speed, lo-drag Operator who is ISSUED precision instruments of asskicking and woe.

T&A
    I see the emblem editor is back. Oh, joy! Get ready for another round of swastikas and smut.

X Marks the Body Part
    Maps are gonna take some time for me to learn. Worse than Favela or Goldmine (COD:G DLC). From what I've seen over the last 24 hours, COD:AW will be mostly a team (or clan) oriented game. If you're a lone wolf, you may not have as much fun. Spawns are crap and maps don't seem very intuitive. There are no rounded corners. I got hung up on damn near EVERYTHING. I am officially sick of RIOT. And DETROIT looks like that in real life. Why do I want to go there in a game? TERRACE is fun. Reminds me of RAID or PLAZA (COD:BOII).

Laggitylaggitylag, alright!
    Yes, lag has shown it's ugly face. Get over it. Move on.

From the Observation Deck
    Overall, COD:AW is not a bad game. It's NOT the Holy Grail most reviewers were paid to praise (IGN, Gamespot. Please. A 9/10? AW is a 7 at best), yet NEITHER is it akin to a laboratory accident and the worst game evah. It's just a standard COD FPS with Multiplayer. I'm gonna try to be objective and see how it all unwinds, but I'm afraid I'll end up giving up the Ghost so to speak. I just couldn't get into Ghosts for some reason. I used to spend hours poring over maps, gun stats, perks and whatnot with the MWs, BLOPS I & II, Rainbow 6s, etc., but lately these last two offerings, Ghosts & Advanced Warfare, aren't very compelling. COD:AW seems too much like a Halo/B-Lands/MW tryhard.

***Secret Squirrel Theory
    It does make one wonder though if Activision is getting revenge for all the grief it took from the COD community over BLOPS II issues. It's as if they said, "You want mediocre games, then? We'll give you mediocre games! And we'll make you beg for the days of BLOPS II. Neener."

Yes, I went there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Legion

Legion Well-Known Member

Alright, I decided to come back from the dead for a little bit and give my first impressions on this game, honestly while i was excited, I wasnt gonna buy this game but my roommate brought his PS4 and bought the digital pro edition so...heh (best things come free heh).

Anyway, my multiplayer impressions...

1. Range matters much more in this game
    The time to kill in this game actually seems much more variable based on distance, and is most notable on the semi's and slower firing AR's. The MK14 gets a 2 hit kill up close but ive been getting even up to 4 hit markers before i finally get that redhitmarker, and several other weapons i've seen 5-6+ hitmarkers before a kill. This so far has led to a TTK that is actually slower than even BOII based on the distance on your engagement as the damage dropoff seems far greater than in any other COD game (note that these are just impressions, have no weapon data for actual damage and range).

2. Sniping sucks in this game
    I had honestly expected this to be as similar to Titanfall, games with high mobility tend to hurt sniper/slower playstyles, however it feels even worse than i expected as maps are smaller and snipers have an ungodly amount of sway, recoil and/or have odd mecanics (looking at you ATLAS-20). This just makes them really gaudy to use at best and when you add in the huge amount of mobility, it really stacks against a sniping playstyle. This is not helped by the fact that....

3. Pistols/Secondaries suck in this game as well!
    Pistols despite costing a point as far as first impressions go are absolutely terrible, even worse than the black ops 1 pistosl to be honest, this makes sniping even harder as "going back to your sidearm" no longer feels like a very viable option. Did i expect them to be Black Ops II good? Maybe, considering they costed points. However, i did not expect them to be this bad.

4. The Exo suit feels awesome
    Boosting in this game feels and sounds awesome, while I havent got the entire hang of it yet, it actually feels like somewhat of a skill curve in Call of Duty, between mastering when to jump or even when using your exo abilities. I've outplayed a couple people with some quick on the spot jumping and good aiming and it feels extremely satisfying when you can pull that off, that being said....

5. The Exo-Suit f***'s with the spawn system...HARD
    Despite the skill curve that gets added with the exo-suit and its jumping abilites, it also makes maps into extreme fusterclucks as the (overall) small map nature combined with the spawning algorithms of this game.

6. The vertacility of the maps makes it hard to predict map flow
    This seemed somewhat predictable after seeing the issues that Battlefield 4 had with its extreme verticality but it's still worth mentioning. The ease of reaching higher spots makes it impossible to predict where an engagement when factoring in not only the ground floor but also the air/upper levels as well.

7. Explosives seem fairly powerful but not overpowering
    Been killed by several explosives but so far, flak jacket seems a good enough counter, will make another comment once actual data has been released

8. Shotguns suck
    That is all

9. Too many gimmicky guns (or random quirks) and not enough guns in general
    TAC-19, a gun that shoots air!....and it sucks. The XMG, dual wielded LMG's that can only be hipfired!...and it sucks, A sniperrifle that can't be hipfired!...and sucks,. In addition, there are surprisingly few guns overall with not even getting their own category this time around. 3 shotties, 4 pistols... for a game that recycles so many guns and animations from previous COD's its surprisingly lack/lite on guns

I would comment on the connection, however because my college wifi is horrible, me and my roommate have actually hardwired the PS4 in our dorm so alas, I cannot comment on the connection difference within Advanced Warfare.

#32 Legion, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Stovy4x4ing

Stovy4x4ing Member

Any one exprancing lag tojight? Shit is awful right. The ping system is still ****ed up and needs fixing. I have never lagged this much before in cod ever. It was great early in the then this weekend it got crappy. Anyone?

14. PSIII

Staff Member

Most everyone is experiencing it. It's probably the most complained about thing in the game right now. And if it doesn't lag, you are behind someone by an hour or so with no time to react in gunfights.

15. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Active Member

Sounds like a pass. I've got a backlog of games I wannna play anyway. Going watch Xcals vids to see how bad it is.

16. PSIII

Staff Member

Such a video does not exist yet, lol. A week after the game came out and not even an impressions thread from him. That should say something. I caught the stream back on launch day though. Was a mess.

17. Strike Shamrock

Strike Shamrock Well-Known Member

As an update to my initial post, I have quit trying to play this game. I have always had some issues with latency due to my rural location and below average internet(best available) but this game is pretty much unplayable for me. I have gotten to the point of just backing out of games when I notice a large connection disadvantage early on in a match to save myself some anger and frustration. Unfortunately, this is happening probably 7 out of 10 games which is ridiculous. They can try to tweak things with matchmaking all they want but as long as PTP hosting is being used you will have some people with big advantages and those with big disadvantages depending on location. Dedicated servers is the only solution to evening out the playing field. The fact that Activision has made loads of money on COD but refuses to implement Dedicated Servers is like a middle finger to the faces of everyone that has paid for the game. Especially since Microsoft has said they will let game developers use their cloud servers for free. Example: Titanfall.
    And to make things worse the spawn system is absolutely terrible. I know this is a normal complaint for any COD, but this is as bad as I have ever seen.
    As far as the rest of the game: Not near enough guns to choose from and excessive amounts of corner campers.(So many that I started blocking them).

Thats pretty much the end of my rant/review. Until Dedicated Servers are implemented for this game or any other CODs in the future I am done. I just regret that I purchased this game for the One + 360 and bought the season pass. Total waste of money.

18. PSIII

Staff Member

Yeah, I pretty much stopped playing several days ago. I don't want to touch it until they fix the freezing (got 22 now), the spawns, and the crappy matchmaking.

19. Kazam420

Kazam420 Active Member

Sounds like the game is garbage.

Let's all do what we usually do on this forum and play the game previous to the most recent game because we all know ghosts is better than this steaming turd.

20. izjar11

izjar11 Active Member

I'm surprised there aren't any SBMM complaints here...what gives?