Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

AMC: Political Pandering

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Virginia Blake, Jun 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virginia Blake

AMC & Political Pandering

Sad when actors tarnish their craft with political grandstanding , thus losing the public respect of neutrality. Love TWD Universe, but am disappointed that these known 3 abuse their celebrity for cudos of special interest groups. FTWD Coleman Domingo, TWD JDM & Norman Reedus
    AMC; $$ panderer.

Sorry I forgot #4 Khary Payton of TWD

#1 Virginia Blake, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

What exactly are you referring to?

This is about as vague as vague can be. Your post is not exactly filled with examples of so called abuses

I cannot know for certain which political hotspot you might be referring to because there are any number to choose from.

But how are they "tarnishing" their craft? Because they have views? Opinions? Thoughts? Because maybe they are taking an action? Shining a light on a cause they believe in? And yes, while I am quite liberal in my politics I accept that this is a road that runs both ways. If, for example, Gary Sinise wants to use his celebrity to further his cause then so be it. The choice to watch them, listen to them , follow them on social media, etc is our own. If their actions are a thorn in a person's side then simply walk away from it.

Should they be punished for having a presence on television and/or social media? Acting is their job. Being an actor does not strip them of their voice to publicly speak out if they so choose. Actors are not owned property by their fans nor by their employers. They can march alongside protesters if they like. So Norman Reedus marched in a protest. Smeh. Whatever. Dude has a right just as any other citizen of this country has a right.

One of them happens to have a 30 minute chat show you say? And they chose to have guests on to speak about the events happening around us? That show is not a news outlet, they are under no obligation to host an opposing view point. The remote is a powerful tool. Just do not watch. I did not watch. Problem solved.

Sidebar: @Zedd or @HarleyQuinn should this thread actually be in another section of the forum?

#2 Dnae, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I didn’t know that in order to be an actor, you had to give up your right to free speech.

The truth is out there

• Winner Winner x 4
  4. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

^^^ :rolleyes: No one has said anything even remotely close to that.

5. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I moved it for ya! :)

6. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Spank You!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Virginia Blake

I'm referring to the TWD 4 actors support of any political cause. Seems the rest of the cast remain neutral and don't speak out. Actors do not belong in the political arena as it's not their field. Their opinions are no more valuable than mine. The fact that they're celebrities puts them in the public eye with scrutiny

AMC takes a gamble in allowing their actors to support protests known for violence & looting. The public impression is that AMC supports those behaviors as well. This refers to Mr, Reedus which he showed up at a "protest" only after JDM had his guests scheduled of his "in home" show. Domingo and the professional TWD fan spoke on Systemic Racism; a political science term. They are not qualified to speak on that specific topic. Racism would have been vague enough for them.. Skin color is not a qualifier for specialized professional knowledge.

I watched Life, Liberty and Levin and he had a Political Science PHD speak on Systemic Racism. And he WAS qualified; , which had nothing to do with his skin color of black.
    And this fact does apply to JDM's In Home show with Domingo and the professional fan

Any public support of an organization that fails to state that All Lives Matter , only black lives, is a racist organization. Too bad TWD publicly support this thinly veiled stand for support of Reverse Racism.

This is what my post is about, and if you choose to censor it, that's fine. Censorship is alive and well. If I gave the opposite opinion, you would likely post it.

TWD has lost a large fan base because of this Political Pandering to the Left. I wonder who owns the stocks in AMC?, likely not the minority poor they are pandering to. Votes are needed in Nov aren't they? . .By "taking a stand" on this, AMC has clearly excluded a large fan base that does not fit their policial mold of viewers, nor the political agenda of their stockholders.. .

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Virginia Blake

and many of us have it. Not just one view. esp when it doesn't fit yours. The Moral High Ground is a soft and spongy place. LOL As for getting jammed up, not at all. I got to state my opinion.

9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

No one requested that your post be censored. Your thread was simply moved to a more appropriate thread. The TWD series thread is meant to be for chats that pertain to the series, the episodes, story speculation and discussion. Not politics. Not to mention your thread will probably be viewed more often in the debater section since it is the busiest on the forum.

So post away to your hearts content. Staff will not censor a post as long as it is not an annoying troll

Not to mention I have no clue what being all jammed up means. Sounds kind of kinky.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I wish we could choose more than one badge

At first I was going to choose winner. Then I thought informative was more to the point. But I really wanted to go with funny because it IS funny that we both have such different view on what "being jammed up" could mean.

But then if I went with funny it might come across as flippant

So how about informafunwin?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Meh. Try forgetting about race for a minute and look at it this way: If you commit a crime, you get arrested. If you commit more crimes you get arrested more often. If you commit more violent crimes, you are more likely to get killed by the police.

We can blame the police all you want, but that won't solve the problem because the police aren't the root of the problem, the root of the problem is the number of crimes people commit. If people quit committing crimes, they wouldn't be in jail. Any leader of a community who *actually* cared about their people would stress that point to them rather than trying to blame an outsider for their problems.

• Old Old x 1
  13. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Ronald Reagan was an actor. Should he have stayed out of politics too?

Politics isn't dentistry. Anyone can have an opinion because what is decided at the local, state and federal levels impact all of us. In fact more people should be involved.

Actors like James Woods and Susan Sarandon are irritating to me because they're both radicalized and way over the top from the opposite ends of the political spectrum.

But simply going to a protest is great. Some have also done an amazing job in terms of raising money for various causes. Their profile can enhance awareness too. It's no different than if Bill Gates lends his name to something, as he's been warning the public about infectious diseases and the need for vaccines now for years.

• Winner Winner x 3
  14. Morgotha

I'm sure there are a multiplicity of political views in Hollywood, but the people in charge are left wing. If you don't espouse left wing beliefs, you probably don't get work, so while some of these people probably really believe what they're saying, others are just doing so for the sake of their employment and future employment prospects.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

YEAH! What he said ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. purriwinkle

Why thank you, @Dnae. I’ll take that, lol.

17. purriwinkle

If the police stop killing a proportionally larger number of black people for what are often minor altercations, or situations they escalated themselves the problem would be solved as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Morgotha

At this point I'd have to disagree. In terms of absolute numbers, the police kill twice as many white people as black people yearly. Source:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

At the same time blacks commit more murders than whites in terms of absolute numbers of murders.

Source - FBI statistics:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/tables/table-43

Therefore, the reason proportionally more black people are shot by police is that proportionally they are committing more crime. That's not racism. If people quit committing crimes, they won't get shot by the police.

#18 Morgotha, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  19. purriwinkle

You say, and I quote:
    “The police kill twice as many white people as black people yearly”

I go to your first source and this is what see.

Additionally, the rate of fatal police shootings among Black Americans was much higher than that for any other ethnicity, standing at 30 fatal shootings per million of the population as of June 2020

Since both sources you cite were the same, I’ve seen no statistics concerning blacks committing more murders than whites. However....

There is also no correlation between how many black people have been been killed by police because they were committing murders as opposed to say, having fallen asleep in the drive through at Wendy’s, or selling single cigs from a pack on the city streets, or sleeping peacefully in your house while a squad of police men break into your home unannounced and return fire when your boyfriend thinks your being burgled, etc.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. purriwinkle

Concerning the OP’s view that people who act for a living, or have large platforms because they make their living from the arts should not use that platform to voice or act on their convictions ...well, it would seem that those people don’t share that opinion.

“Comedians” especially use their platforms to comment on current events through humorous observations. Sometimes they take a more serious tone. I happened to be watching Last Week with John Oliver and he had a LOT to say about what’s going on, and he slashes through both Blue and Red politics alike.

*WARNING- STRONG LANGUAGE

Did anyone else see this? Wow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.