Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Andrea's Death Scene (2 versions?)

Discussion in 'Episode 316 - Welcome to the Tombs' started by WalkerBait, Apr 2, 2013.

1. WalkerBait

WalkerBait Member

I haven't seen a topic about this yet. May be wrong but here goes...

In the behind-the scenes video for the finale, we see footage of Milton biting Andrea's arm as she's still in the chair. I wonder if it was Laurie's idea to change the script herself as she liked the idea of Andrea fighting to the very end. And I wonder if this is why Laurie, Danai, Norman and Andrew were rumoured to be re-shooting the final scene?

2. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

She died in both versions but Mazzara's version made her "the ultimate victim" so Scott re-wrote her death.

3. filthyastronaut

Yeah, I saw that. I think they removed the chain to have it happen too. Did she have the chain?

You can also see that Milton is wearing glasses here, and he wasn't in the finale. The makeup even looks different. I'm not sure if this was the reshoot, but if it was, looks like Andrea was going to die all along.

EDIT:
    Yeah, I just read that interview. Does that mean that the original shot of finale was Andrea's death, and that the speculation that Tyreese would have been finding her is untrue?

Here's the interview if anyone's interested: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...poilers-andrea-laurie-holden-interview-431969

#3 filthyastronaut, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  4. dashape80

dashape80 New Member

Glad you created this thread, I thought the same thing when I was watching the behind the scenes. I immediately thought of the reshoots. Thanks for filling me in on why. It would be interesting to watch a cut of the episode with the original death scene to compare which is better (obviously that would be just opinion).

5. I'm-no-Walker

I'm-no-Walker New Member

Per an interview with Dallas Roberts (Milton), he described the above death scene and then the reshoot for the final death scene, which is what we saw. The change was made by Gimple, but according to Dallas, Tyrese and someone else were going to discover Andrea's body, but this was then changed to Daryl, Rick, Michonne, and Tyrese finding her. This would also explain the scene in the finale where Tyrese tells Sasha that he will be right back after coming back from his guard duty shift. In the original scenario, he must have left Sasha and gotten someone else to go look around and found Andrea. They must not have remembered to edit this scene out or reshoot it, or maybe, they figured no one would notice or wonder where he went.

6. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm glad gimple wrote the change. It was great. I am not sure Mazzara would have had the same quality.

7. WalkerBait

WalkerBait Member

Thank you for this link, filthyastronaut.

I don't think I like the sound of the first version, Andrea was too strong of a character to just... go that easily, so to speak. While watching the show, I was hoping for Tyreese to find her before she was bitten. In fact, I thought he was gonna come in at the last minute and kill Walker Milton.

And I'm glad that she had the chance to have that conversation with Rick and Michonne. It made it that more emotional "I know how the safety works", and it would have been extremely disappointing for Tyreese to just have found her dead. Just like that.

8. Sasha

Sasha Member

lol I was going to say exactly that. They should have cut that Tyrese scene off when he says he's going after something, it makes no sense if you didn't know this. That's poor writing. I'm glad they changed it :)

9. trd84

trd84 Member

In the behind the scenes clip you can see Tyreese and Sasha in the room with walker Milton still alive. So they find her and kill Milton in the original.

In the original she's strapped to the chair and chained to two poles by her neck which made it harder to get out of the chair. I

10. melthebell

melthebell Well-Known Member

so all those slagging it off for being crap and mazzara writing are wrong and should be glad it wasn't his "crapper" version? lol

11. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep out of the two versions I prefer what Gimple did..

12. trd84

trd84 Member

I think I would have like the 1st one better. She was chained down and couldn't get out. The 2nd version made her look dumb by talking to Milton instead of trying to get free. And it actually shows Andrea get attacked and probably Tyreese killing Milton.

13. WalkerBait

WalkerBait Member

I don't think the first ending would have had the same impact. The one they used is that little more gut-renching because she was so close. She just got out but still managed to get bit. I think in that situation she would have been bitten either way. She only had pliers as a weapon and I don't think they'd have been sharp enough to kill on the first blow. So

14. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

The only people who would have liked Mazzara's version is the haters. I cant see people who like Andrea wanting to see her getting ripped apart.

15. Jack Woodward

Jack Woodward Member

I like andrea, but theres nothing against character development when you want to see them get ripped apart in the TWD universe that never became.

16. trd84

trd84 Member

Not a Andrea hater at all. But I think the 2nd version made her look stupid. I can't say for sure without having seen it but in the 1st version she had no chance to get out. And I don't think she would have looked as stupid.

In the 2nd version if she didn't talk so much she would have been able to get out in time.

Also would have been cool to see Tyreese and Sasha find them and see first hand what the Gov was all about. Instead of being told by Karen

#17 trd84, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  17. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

Yes but the first one makes her the victim she never wanted to be.

18. Lawman

Lawman Member

I like Andrea. I would have rather her be able to fight back with just one wrist still locked up. Holding him off like Glenn did in WB. Then have the sounds of more struggling as Tyrese goes in the door, firing a weapon (with us not seeing what happens). Cut to black, end of season, and wait to see what happens next season.

Either way the episode was an interesting variety of locations, unknown activities, and changes in character development.

If Andrea really wanted out of the series due to negative fan involvment that is completely uncalled for on the part of the fans. She is playing a part and not writing it herself. Although many have not liked her character, I am not a writer and found her actions plausible in the ZA, with her character being a civil rights lawyer wanting everyone to live, and not actually knowing everything that we as fans see. For example, she would be in WB and we are seeing what happens in the prison.

RIP Andrea. I for one will miss your character.

19. Rezistrat

Rezistrat New Member

I have a technical problem with the aired death scene. When andrea looks at rick she says " I know how to use a safety" They than pan to rick handing her his colt Python. When they pan back from the door you hear the shot then the sound of a spent shell hitting the floor. His gun doesn't really have a safety like the other hand guns. It's double action so it takes a strong trigger pull to fire the first shot unless you cock it. Also revolvers like ricks don't eject the spent shell until you open cylinder to reload. I wonder if originally Rick handed her one of the semi-auto handguns they use which would have had explained her comment and the spent shell sound, They maybe edited it to have rick giving her his gun as more of a sentimental gesture. Stupid observation I know but, it immediately bothered me.