Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Anybody watch Hell on Wheels?

Discussion in 'Hell On Wheels' started by Rick_Tatorship, Aug 6, 2013.

1. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

What's Hell on wheels like [MENTION=5535]Donnnn[/MENTION] ?

2. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

I love it! From what I've heard about Justified it sounds similar but I reckon HOW may be slightly worse. I'd suggest it but there's a fair few shows I'd rank higher

3. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

I couldn't get into HoW... The main dude wasn't interesting to me also the only dude i recognized died in like the first episode.

4. Goodfellas

Goodfellas Active Member

Some shows aren't for every one,I tried watching game of thrones once but didint make past 3 episodes

5. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

You may be the only person I've ever met who couldn't get into it.

6. Goodfellas

Goodfellas Active Member

Lol I bet..

7. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

You couldn't get into it at first! Neither could I haha, maybe you should give it another go [MENTION=6119]Goodfellas[/MENTION]

8. Goodfellas

Goodfellas Active Member

Yea I might.

9. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Wow, it's really a damn shame more people on this forum don't watch "Hell on Wheels"; and even bigger shame that there's a section for it that hasn't been posted in since season 2 when the show's about to air the finale for Season 4 this week.

I'm a huge fan; and it's a great show. It's got it's issues like any other show; but it also has it's unbelievable amazing moments of cinema and story-telling. It's phenomenally written, with amazing historic continuity, compelling and riveting characters that are difficult to not become emotionally attached to, and action and scenery and acting that is second to none.

The reason I can't believe more people on this forum, fans of TWD, aren't fans of Hell on Wheels as well is because elementally, they are essentially the same story. There are so many similarities and parallels between this show and TWD, it's story, it's characters, their plights and struggles, the overlying themes, and the overwhelmingly variable volatility, abrasiveness and overall danger of the environment. After all; just like Kirkman has stated on several occasions, at it's core, it's very root, TWD is and American Western; a tale of the frontier, and frontiersmen. It's a tale of outlaws, heroes and heathens and how they attempt to manifest their destiny.

The leading man and main character of he show is "Cullen Bohannon" as played by Anson Mount. This is a character who is one of the most complex, compelling, and riveting characters on television. Anson Mount is an actor's actor; and he breathes a life into Bohannon that feels almost tangible from my side of the screen. The show is definitely worth a watch to Mount's performance alone.

One thing I've always felt and pondered on extensively is this; I believe Anson Mount would have made a phenomenal Rick Grimes. Now, before anyone makes a snap judgement, I love Andy Lincoln. But Mount is a true, thoroughbred, blue-blooded son of the south; and before you say he wouldn't have made one of the best Rick Grime's; watch a couple episodes of "Hell on Wheels".

10. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I watch this show, and I was also surprised to see that this thread was inactive.

I most enjoy the historic aspects of it. I also like how different types of people are represented. It isn't just about the cowboy heroes, like in a typical western, it's about all the people who might work on the railroad or live in the town or surrounding areas. I especially liked the representation of the free African American men and Irish workers in the first season (that is, how both groups were discriminated against but many of the Irish were still racists).

I agree that Anson Mount is amazing in his role as Bohannon, but for me personally the more compelling stories are the supporting characters'. My absolute favourite is Elam.

I love how he straddles two worlds. I also really like the strong women in the show, especially Eva, Ruth, and Louise.

11. jwcoombs

Oh don't even get me started on Elam! He was my favorite too! His character was amazing and flawlessly acted! I always loved how Common added all those subtle "childish" elements; because that was something I admired about him. Even though he'd lived a full life as a slave; when I tried to put myself in his shoes, I imagined he was rather innocent to the true corruption of the world aside from slavery and bondage. I imagined his mindset, once freed and sent to work on the transcontinental railroad, was very much that of the proverbial "kid in a candy store". Taking it all in so fast, so heavy, sometimes more than he could handle, becoming overwhelmed on occasion, and still finding no shortage of ignorance and trouble, but loving every minute of it!

12. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

@jwcoombs, I gave "Hell on Wheels" a chance. I really did. But the direction the show went, and the loss and introduction of several characters, infuriated me to no end.

The Joseph Black Moon/Ruth Cole storyarc got old quickly.

The Swede turned into a Joker against Bohannon's Batman. Naturally, the Swede survives impossible situations, and if he's shot, he'll survive that too.

Lily Bell was a strong woman and a great character; naturally the producers killed her off. I wrote the show off after that.

I recently watched an episode because there was nothing else on, and wouldn't you know, they killed Elam!

They say a show can jump the shark, "Hell on Wheels" has jumped the buffalo, not once, but twice!

Now they've got a goofball gunman named Snow; like the Swede, he escapes a gunfight against Bohannon. It's a safe bet Snow will end up killing someone close to Bohannon before he's finally put in the dirt.

I love westerns, but I don't love "Hell on Wheels."

13. jwcoombs

I totally agree on a few things. Joseph Black Moon and Ruth was stale; they could have done more with Joseph than a crappy forbidden love story and then murder the Rev. and disappear.

Also, I totally agree about the Swede and Bohannon being Batman and the Joker. The require each other; therefore they'll never truly hate, or successfully kill the other. But personally; I like that. Call me a ham. :p

Also, the bit I highlighted in bold I agree with the most; and I can tell you see this show much the same way I do; I know it's predictable, but for some reason I enjoy the predictability. Sydney Snow will kill little Ezra in the finale; and Bohannon will go all Rick Grimes on him and continue building the railroad.

And for the record, and what it's worth; AMC didn't kill Elam. Common killed Elam; it was literally 100% his doing. They had no plans, past, present, or future for the death of Elam Ferguson.

14. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Well said. It's rare to see mixed-race characters who aren't stereotypes depicted as being confused about who they are, trapped between two worlds, etc. I loved Elam because he was the opposite of that. He knew exactly who he was, and that he was free, and it was other people who were confused and uncomfortable with him and tried to tell him what his place was. He did what he wanted, whether that meant drinking in the "white man's" tavern or being with a white woman, and held himself with pride.

15. Teens In Crisis

I still love the show, despite it's huge flaws. It's one of the few "westerns" on TV these days, so I'll keep going back to the well.

16. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Season 5 starts tonight!

I actually had no idea it was even starting soon, and just happened to see a post on FB. There's a season 4 marathon happening on AMC right now, in fact. Welp, there goes the rest of the afternoon...

#36 and138, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  17. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Anyone else watch this, besides me and [MENTION=25512]jwcoombs[/MENTION], who never signs in here anymore? :(

18. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Hell on Wheels ran of the rails for me a long time ago. I heard this is the last season. Happy trails, Bohannon.

19. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'm still furious about Elam -- watching the season 4 marathon is making me mad again -- but I've put a lot of time into this show, and I need to see it through to the end.

20. rustybag

rustybag Member

I'm really behind here, just finished season 2 & about to start season 3 tonight. Loving it so far..