Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Are errors common in TWD issues?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by Trickyricky11, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Trickyricky11

Trickyricky11 New Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]Hi Guys,

I am new here and a big fan of the TV Show. I kept hearing about how different the comic was from the show, so I decided to find out tore through compendium 1 and 2 then started on the volumes. Recently I bought volume 17 and a few pages in half of the bottom page is all white. Just wondering if this is common or just a rare occasion. I also read that there was a recall on some books that had the last chapter twice.

#1 Trickyricky11, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's not common or at least i've heard very little about it.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of those types of errors, but there are continuity errors. One of the doctors at Alexandria was sometimes referred to as Pete Dodson, and other times Pete Anderson. Also, when Jesus is first introduced, he tells the group he wants them to meet Kenneth, the head of the Hilltop. Later is it revealed the head of the Hilltop's name is Gregory.

4. Trickyricky11

Trickyricky11 New Member

Hi Neuro,

thanks for the info I will have to go back and see if I can find those.

5. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

The Kenneth issue was fixed in later issues so it might be there. The compendium doesn't have I think.

Pete as Dodson is still there and I think they called Martinez a different name a few times but I can't remember if it was his middle name or an error. ASZ also had 3 doctors but the third is absent.

6. Neuropyramidal

And Rick had a right hand for a frame. ;)

7. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Just a couple:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Neuropyramidal

And you should definitely take that book back and get another one, or get your money back. Missing frames is unacceptable lol.

9. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Agreed. [MENTION=57531]Trickyricky11[/MENTION], if you take the book back to the store, they'll give you a new one and then send the one with the printing error back to Image for credit. And then Image will have to take it up with their printer. From your photo, it looks as if something went wrong with a plate at the printer, which means it's likely that many of the books in that print run were affected.

10. Trickyricky11

Trickyricky11 New Member

I think I will keep it :Grin: I am a collector and I like errors and misprints, but I did email them to let them know about the issue.

11. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Please keep us updated. I'm curious to know how they respond. Maybe you'll get something free out of it. :)

12. Trickyricky11

Trickyricky11 New Member

I actually caught the Doctor part, they never talk about or see the other doctor but they refer to three of them when Rick and the group arrive

13. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember all of those. They called Martinez, "Ramirez" in a few issues. I also could have swore that Jesus was once improperly referred to as "Paul Anderson" once, in the early days of "A Larger World".

14. jwcoombs

This definitely isn't a very common occurrence; but it also isn't really "rare" either. At least not in the sense of something being more valuable due to it's rarity.

That being said; their have been a few notable errors, misprints, and mistakes over the decade TWD has been in print. Most of the errors are found in individual issues, and only a few are considered actual "error variants"; making them very rare and valuable. Concerning the TPB's(trade paperbacks; e.g. volumes, compendiums, omnibuses), those are printed in massive quantities, and several different languages, to be sold commercially all over the world. These TPB's also see many different printings; especially with TWD's rising popularity, the demand for these collections has increased dramatically. Which means they're printing even more of the TPB's now; which makes errors more likely.--Where as with the individual comic issues, most of them only had one print run, many of the earlier issues in the low thousands. There have been a few issues that have gone to second printings, and a few even third printings(e.g. #2, #8, #19, #27, #33, #34, #50, #98, #99, #100, #102, #115, #127). So the error-variant of the comic issues are much more rare and valuable; here's a short list of the error-variants I know of--

--The Walking Dead #27--Extra Pages. This variant has the first four inserts stapled twice.

--The Walking Dead #32--
    Mistake. This variant addresses Martinez as Rodriguez on the inside cover: Meanwhile, Rodriguez, a security officer in Woodbury, has decided to help Rick escape.

--The Walking Dead #35--
    Missing Pages. This book was printed with the second to last page in the story printed twice with the end of the story missing.

--The Walking Dead #43--
    Mistake. This variant has a misspelling on the inside front cover: toture (torture) But how did he survive his toture at the hands of Michonne?

--The Walking Dead #48--
    Extra Pages. This variant has the last page printed twice. This does not effect the story, only has the extra page.

--The Walking Dead #110--
    Mistake. This variant advertises the current issue on sale June 2013 and shows the next month’s cover. This was corrected in the digital print.

15. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

This is so interesting. Thanks for this info. I'd give you rep, but apparently I have to spread the love around some more. ;)

I work in book publishing and corporate communications (but no comics, unfortunately), so when I see a printing error like this my heart sinks. From the publisher's point of view, the book is unsellable and, therefore, pulp. There is nothing worse than opening a box of new books and finding something like this. If it's a first print run and everyone is counting on the books coming in on time for review copies, an author tour, the Christmas selling season, etc., it's a nightmare. In this case, though, it's volume 17 and [MENTION=57531]Trickyricky11[/MENTION] recently purchased it, so it's likely not a first run.

I have no idea what books or comics with print errors might be worth as collectibles, though. But yes, I suspect that the trade paperbacks wouldn't be worth much. It's my understanding that a book with a printing error or typo becomes more valuable only if it's an old, rare book anyway, or if there's something significant about the error. But if the OP enjoys collecting them as oddities, it's a lucky find!

Comics, on the other hand, are highly collectible anyway, so this thread did make me curious about whether an error would increase the value. Do you know offhand what any of the comics you listed are worth, as compared to error-free ones?

16. Trickyricky11

Trickyricky11 New Member

Thank you for all the info, and to be clear I don't care about value. I like errors just because I like finding things out of the ordinary, if you told me it was worth a ridiculous amount I would sell it and buy older issues and catch up. But in general I just collect to read. Thank you everyone for the info and knowledge it's appreciated!

17. jwcoombs

The error-variants are rarely(basically never) worth more than a mint copy of their error-free counter part. But, the errors do make them worth much more than the original retail price of $2.99.

That being said; TWD is a very hot item right now. And if you have any extra copies of older issues lying around; I'd suggest selling them or taking them to auction. A CGC grade 9.8 TWD #1 just sold for $10,000.00 recently, and iconic issues such as #12(first prison), #19(first Michonne), #27(first Governor), #43-#48(fall of prison), #53(first Abe), #65(Dale death), #75(bonus alien ending; Ryan Ottley) sell routinely for prices anywhere between $400.00 to $1500.00. I actually just recently sold one of my copies of TWD #1 Tenth Anniversary Edition in full color for $110.00. Not to shabby for a comic that's barely even a year old. Now is definitely the time to sell.

There are however, a very select few error-variants that do, in fact fetch a larger price tag than their error-free counterparts. The only one that comes to mind right off hand is issue #33; this is the issue featuring on the cover; a seated Governor with the shadow of Michonne looming over him through the light of an open doorway. The original issue's cover was red. Due to high demand and miscalculations this issue went back for a second printing. When the second printing came out; the cover that was red before was now blue. This is one of the few scenarios where the error is more valuable than the original; as the blue covered #33 fetches a much heftier price.

[​IMG][​IMG]

^^Fun fact--this is the issue where Michonne tortures and mutilates the Governor in retaliation to the terrible things he did to her.

18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! I think I'm going to start buying multiple copies of issues that seem as if they'll be significant. I'm kicking myself for not doing that with #127.

Neat. I wish I had any version of #33. The torture scenes are done so well. I can hardly look at those panels even though they're just black-and-white drawings. :zombies_lol:

I started collecting the individual issues only recently, so the oldest one I have is #110. I just checked it and found that error you mentioned.

19. John E Klugh Jr

John E Klugh Jr New Member

Just curious but in The Walking Dead #48 in the middle of page 2, Rick is hugging Lori and Carl. Would the fact that he has a right hand on Loris back be considered an error?

20. Neuropyramidal

There are a few errors peppered throughout, which is not surprising with so many characters and 184 issues. There is one other time where rick has a right hand, during All Out War. And when they reach Alexandria, Pete's name is sometimes Pete Dodson, and other times Pete Anderson. Tammy Rose's name changes, and Dwight's ex Sherry is called "Diane" once. The leader of the Hilltop is originally referred to by Jesus as "Kenneth".