Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Article: TWD Falls to All Time Ratings Low

Discussion in 'Episode 910 - Omega' started by Rapscallion, Feb 20, 2019.

1. VenomGA

VenomGA Well-Known Member

who watches the Oscars? I haven;t in decades

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

It wasn't the Oscars TWD was up against (or any awards show) it was the NBA all-star game. Oscars are this Sunday.

TWD has gone up against this type of competition throughout it's entire run. It's previous viewers likely aren't choosing those programs over TWD now. They likely simply aren't watching Walking Dead anylonger because it no longer interests them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. VenomGA

VenomGA Well-Known Member

this happens when you have killed off all but 2 of your original characters.

4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Well 26.5 million people watched it last year

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Live +3 day totals for episode 10:
    6.867 million viewers total (live +same day 4.538 million) gain of 51.32%
    2.329 demo adults 18-49 (live +same day 1.68 adults 18-49) gain of 56.71%

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

Viewing habits are indeed different now than they were 10 years ago. The Live +3 ratings are more indicative of how the shows doing I think.

7. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

But working people don't want to miss the opening of the Oscars. I thought it was brilliant when they figured that out.

DVRs should be able to give accurate numbers if people watch their taped shows soon enough, right?

8. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Is TWD the only show that uses the "DVR Defense"? It seems TWD has exclusive rights to it. ;)

9. Lindigo

I watch! It's the only awards show I watch. The movie clips are informative, because I haven't seen a lot of the nominated films.

The main thing I don't like is cutting off people's rambling speeches. Give the show twice as much time so they can wallow in their happiness. I'm serious. I like to listen to them being giddy (not the kissing up part), and I can play various computer games at the same time.

It used to be more fun before Joan Rivers scared everyone into dressing to avoid being ridiculed.

10. Lindigo

I have always had to tape lots of things on Sunday. PBS is at their best on Sundays.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I would go so far as to say that TV viewing habits are very different in the last 5 years even. Ten years ago the way we were watching TV seems almost archaic by comparison

I agree about the Live +3 rating being more indicative. TWD is the only show I watch live.

Right now the only other series I am watching is Victoria on PBS and I usually watch that a day or so after it airs. Star Trek Discovery, also a day or two later

12. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

While that is true however live ratings are generally what is more important to the networks because someone that is watching it live will be far more likely to watch the advertisement than those that watch it when they can fast forward through commercials. And lets not kid ourselves people are still tuning out from this show at an alarming rate. While there may be 6 or 7m viewers when you add in DVR. Two years ago there was 12m viewers when you added in DVR. Back in season 5 there was about 17m viewers when you added in DVR.

Five to ten years from now cable TV as we know it probably won't exist and if you want to watch a show you will have to subscribe to their streaming service.

#32 lastcat3, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  13. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I mean, it might not be the juggernaut it once was, but it could still lose even more and still be the biggest thing AMC has.

So...

yeah.

Just some perspective.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Still easily AMC's flagship. Right now we are in great hands with Angela. I'm more excited about the future than I have been for a couple seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

The show still has high ratings for a show in it's 9th season. It's only natural that ratings would drop after being on air this many years.

It's a problem if ratings plummet and keep plummeting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right.

Yes, I'm sure less people are watching these days, as is natural for a long-running series, but you can't ignore the fact that streaming is growing while cable and live viewing (both of which are factors in TWD's ratings measures) are declining.

That's not an excuse, it's just an easy observation. The CW, for example, keeps many shows running despite less-than-stellar live ratings because they perform well on streaming platforms. It's also very telling that CW is a network aimed at younger audiences. Pretty big sign that especially among young people, live-viewing isn't all that relevant.

Is TWD still on Netflix in the US? I wonder how it performs in streaming when it's released. It already pulls great numbers for a network like AMC.

17. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

It is still on Netflix in the states

I had never considered viewing the CW as a fairly accurate gauge of tv viewing habits of that portion of the coveted demo group

I of course see how my own kids watch TV. They seem to be at either ends of the extreme and any given point in time. If it is a show they are very interested in they binge it. If it is a show they are mildly interested in it could take months for them to finish watching even one season/series. Lately I find myself following this same pattern. I will go all in for about 2/3 of a series and then for reasons unknown I just stop watching. At times it takes me several months to pick it back up. Example being The Leftovers. I watched the first 1.5 seasons at a fairly steady clip and then suddenly I just became disinterested and have yet to pick up where I left of.

18. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I don't give a crap. I watch it and I'm enjoying it. Really disgusts me with posts from people that say they don't watch it anymore, but continue to post on here as if they do (don't).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't hurt my feelings too awful bad, one more season and give it a good ending or at least make an effort at closing shop for the viewers.

Or maybe they should finish off season 10 with a cliffhanger and then never have another season, you know for old time's sake.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

Is it? I have no idea. TWD is the only show I feel compelled to follow up with online. My personal feeling is any show should have DVR ratings included these days. To do otherwise seems foolish and bad business in my opinion.

• Winner Winner x 1