Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Bohemian Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dnae, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

@tink - My thoughts on the movie.....

It is a good movie. It is not a great movie. It is an entertaining movie, no question about it. There are moments where you will laugh a little and moments where you will cry a little. But there are also moments where I rolled my eyes a little.

Reasons I was forced to roll my eyes:
    • At times the tired and over used 1980s styling of music biopics rears its ugly head.
    • The character offered by Mike Meyers is completely unnecessary and obviously only added because of his Wayne's World schtick.
    • Again with Mike Meyers - I have no idea what accent he was going for but it is awful. It is as though he is doing his own worst impression of a character he has played in past movies.
    • At times some of the scenes come off as more cheesy rather than inspiring - two words: Bob Geldof
    I wish:
    • A bit more time could have been spent on Freddy's relationship with his father.
    • While I love the music of Queen I do think the movie could have benefited with using less concert scenes as a story device and instead rely on the very real characters to drive the story forward.
    What I thought were the best bits:
    • Rami Malek - he was, no big surprise, wonderful.
    • The actress who played Mary was amazing. And the connection between Rami and the actress (too lazy to google her name) was palpable, they were amazing in their scenes together.
    • The actor who had the task of bringing Brian May to the screen did a wonderful job
    • Honestly , with the exception of Mike Meyers, the entire supporting cast was great
    • The loneliness that was Freddy's life was played with so much heart by Rami. Those were the times when I forgot I was watching Rami rather than Freddy. It was really heartbreaking.
    Should you see it? Yes, I think that you should. I think that you will enjoy it. I know I did. I do hope that when the blu ray is released they offer a Mike Meyer's free option - I think it is quite obvious what my biggest complaint is

#1 Dnae, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Thank you @Dnae ! If I'm honest that's about what I was expecting. Most of the reviews call it flawed, but all agree Rami is wonderful.

I'll probably still see it.

3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Me too.

4. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Considering the first director was fired DURING FILMING, I'm actually surprised it's still getting decent reviews. Usually that means it's going to be awful.

5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I was really looking forward to this film because I thought Rami Malek was the perfect actor to play the part. So I was a bit let down when I read the reviews. I'll still see it, but it's too bad. They missed an opportunity to have a top tier film here.

6. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Finally did see this movie. Most of the cast was great, which leaves you feeling the huge missed opportunity of the film. It could have been so much more. As @Dnae mentioned they gave us too many concert scenes rather than allowing the story and the characters to propel it forward. They should have saved much of that simply for an extended closing credits. It would have kept many people in their seats until the very end and wouldn't have gotten in the way of the story.

Also I felt cheated that we didn't get some of the end life with Freddie, particularly since he spent it with Mary as his caretaker. Their bond was one of the best parts of the film and it was one of the biggest misses, along with a more indepth look at his relationship with his parents.

This is one of the reasons why I don't normally go to films on singers. It's often superficial. But Queen's music is amazing, and Freddie such an interesting character, that once I heard Rami Malek was cast in the lead it became a must see anyway. It's worth watching, but again it could have been a lot more.

• Agree Agree x 1