Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Carl's suppressor?

Discussion in 'Episode 403 - Isolation' started by MassiveDynamic, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MassiveDynamic

MassiveDynamic La Jiggy Jar Jar Doo

Why is Carl the only one with a suppressor? Wouldnt it be a good idea for more people to have them so they could use their firearms without drawing the attention of more walkers?

2. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always wondered this.

Rick had one, during the first episode of Season Three but he hasn't used it since. I'm guessing the writers are making it Carl's signature thing, like how the Crossbow is Daryl's and the Katana Michonnes, the silencer is Carl's.

3. MassiveDynamic

MassiveDynamic La Jiggy Jar Jar Doo

yeah thats makes sense.

4. ApocalypseGal

ApocalypseGal Member

I wondered that too. I guess they have only found one, and decided to give it to the kid?

5. mfinley

mfinley Member

I think they made them, didn't find them. I think it's the old Mag Lite flashlight supressor isn't it?

6. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I know it's a show, but why does he have such a crappy homemade silencer? It's been months (even a year or so) since this all started and they couldn't find a decent silencer at an abandoned hunting store somewhere? Just a thought.

7. cpump

cpump Member

I wonder tht to but like the guy above me said every1 needs a signature weopon

8. cpump

cpump Member

They can hardly find anything most stores are cleared im surprised
    they havent found the prison armory tho

9. zipykido

zipykido Member

Suppressors in real life don't really muzzle the sound that well. Shots are typically 160 db and suppressors only really reduce that to 130-145 db. For reference, 130 is enough to cause hearing damage. Also guns like Rick's colt python can't be suppressed. Shotguns aren't practical for suppression either. Pistols and rifles are better candidates. Other benefits of suppressors like reduced recoil are more useful in situations which is why Carl probably uses one since his frame is smaller and it is easier to handle with less recoil.

10. Clemonsly

Clemonsly Member

They found the prison armory in the premiere of season 3.

11. cpump

cpump Member

Shit lol thts right I forgot I rember in the comic it was way more stocked tho

12. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

it had weapons and grenades but most of them were used on Woodbury.

Morgan just happened to have the rest of the continent's weapons.

13. The_Not_So_Dead

The only thing that I wonder about Carl's homemade silencer is: what if somehow the bullit deviates ever so slightly (don't know if that is possible). He'll probably be in kinda trouble.

14. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

What you are talking about is called a 'baffle strike' and it can destroy the SUPPRESSOR.
    [​IMG]

15. Springsheen

Springsheen Member

It looks really silly too, not even a cool-looking suppressor :Grin:

16. Savior

Savior Well-Known Member

Why not use a flashlight for a silencer? Rick did that.

17. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

It's not like it's unrealistic to use home-made silencers either - they actually work if made correctly and the one Carl uses would work in real life.

I don't know too much about silencers but I was under the impression that real, professionally made silencers were extremely hard to get hold of. Heck, they're illegal in a lot of places.

Now obviously it's the the apocalyptic world so a lot of that doesn't matter but it's not like the group can can just walk into a hunting store and pick one off the shelves as they won't be there. They'd have to go to a retail place for online trading like Amazon.

I reckon it's not worth the hassle, I heard that home-made silencers can work rather well. And besides I doubt the difference in how much sound it suppresses is that big, just how long it will last.

18. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

suppressors are not sold in hunting stores or on amazon. You either have to make one yourself or a gunsmith may be able to make you one. Not even sure about the latter. Pretty sure suppressor is not legal for general populace. They'd have to find a military surplus in order to get suppressors for all of their guns

19. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

After some quick research, it is in fact legal to own a silencer. You do have to go through some paperwork and it is not legal in all states. after obtaining a permit, which is akin to getting a concealed weapons permit, you can purchase a silencer through an authorized dealer. Still, not very common and hard to come across

20. RGHendo

RGHendo Member

I quite like the look of the silencer dunno why. And I don't think they found the prison armory I think the things they were sorting through was just what the guards had on them when they died, also shown by the fact that some of the armor was covered in blood and I think it was daryl who didn't want to wear it because of that. this also is backed up by the fact that rick said it would be at a different site away from the prison and that the wardens office(which wasn't yet cleared out/found) would have info on it. we also didn't see them leave and if they did there would have been more than that.
    Another thing is that ricks silencer in season 3 wasn't on his python if I remember correctly it was a different gun. also it makes sense carl having a silencer, he can't kill walkers with knives, he is too short and probably not strong enough. everyone else can stab walkers of have differnt ways to kill them silently.