Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Coda [508] Complaints and Criticisms

Discussion in 'Episode 508 - Coda' started by Neuropyramidal, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Maybe she repressed her emotions before for the sake of survival. People do it, especially in wartime.

2. JeannieDD

JeannieDD New Member

For the Writers.....

I would like to first state that I am NOT a Beth or Carol Shipper. However, I am a shipper of a good storyline, one that has been absent as of late. Let's recap what we have seen so far. We have Carol the ex battered wife as MacGyver/Rambo in episode 1. We have Tyreece as Mr.Mom, Glen and Maggie as Mr & Mrs. Smith, Michone has evolved into a glorified babysitter for Judith and Carl. Rick used to see Dead People (Lori), then he in classic Edward Cullen style (Twilight) killed someone by biting his throat. We have seen Daryl cry more tears in one episode then all the cast members put together in all the Seasons. This is the same thing that happened to Sons of Anarchy with the crappy writing. You evolved Beth's Character into somebody we can respect and root for, from her strength in "Still" and "Alone" to her helping Noah escape, and she dies like that????? Was someone watching "The Wizard of Oz" when they wrote that? It was poor Dorothy throwing water on the Witch and releasing all those under her Power. Could none of the SIX officers under Dawns rule kill her? They all said that it was ALL Dawn?? Do you really think we are that stupid??? Geeeeeeez! The way she died was absolutely the most ridiculous Death I have ever seen. You were better off killing Tara by having her hitting herself in the head with the stupid Yo-Yo she found. What an insult to all your viewers. You robbed us of a very important reunion between Beth and Judith. You could have killed her off in a fashion more fitting to her character. I would rather have had Eugene kill Beth by "talking" too much for gods sake. All I have left to say in Bad move Writers. Your grasping at straws and they are the wrong ones to boot.

One last question? Should we expect to see Honey Boo Boo in the second half?

Another good show bites the Dust.

P.S. Please excuse my Grammar and Punctuation, I don't claim to be a writer.

3. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

Probably. That could be Daryls new ship.

4. TWDfan87893

TWDfan87893 Active Member

Either that or she's messed up in the head!

5. JeannieDD

JeannieDD New Member

Why would they Drag out "The Hunters"? there was a much more important story to tell..... "The Yo-Yo Saga"

6. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

You're right. Plus the TWD fans needed to be taught how to properly mop floors.

7. JeannieDD

JeannieDD New Member

Well if they used the tears from everyone blubbering all the time their floors would shine!

8. CLEAR

CLEAR Member

Was never a huge fan of Beth, but her death in 508 makes the "new sheriff in town" from 416 pretty much pointless. I think they just killed her off to give us a death in the mid season finale. Would have liked it much better had she survived the episode.

9. Aquce

Aquce New Member

Indeed, my friend, indeed. As an independent film maker I can assure you the intention of the tilted shots is exactly that. It is sometimes called a Dutch shot and is used to instill a sense of creep to the viewer. As we are not used to see the things in this odd angle we start to freak out when this shot is used. It is primary used in horror films and when the director want you to start to freak out. Kudos for noticing that :zombies_lol:

10. BethG

BethG New Member

Gun?

Dawn's gun is holstered, her empty right hand is hanging by her side, her shoulder NEVER MOVES UP, how does she SHOOT BETH IN THE HEAD WITH A DRAWN GUN? You can see her empty hands in the shot over Rick's shoulder, you can see the gun in the holster right before Beth walks up to her. She wouldn't have felt threatened by Beth and she wouldn't have drawn on her. The FX department said in one of the Behind the Scenes things that there is a small hole in Beth's forehead (which is almost level with Dawn's) and the larger one through the back of Beth's head (left side, facing the camera). How does that happen? How can Dawn draw her gun, raise it to point it through Beth's forehead and shoot her through the forehead when they are pressed together? When we see Beth fall, we see Dawn's gun pressed between them, turned up and slightly left...there is no way that shot makes sense, the gun being there does not make sense...it was so poorly done. Dawn's expression and body language say it was an accident, she never meant to hurt Beth, but THERE IS NO GUN TO GO OFF ACCIDENTALLY. The very MOST Dawn could have done would have been to push Beth away from her the way they set it up. I thought someone else had shot Beth for a second because I think you can see in close-up that Dawn's gun's even got the safely strap attached over it. Even Wild Bill could not have unsnapped the strap, drawn the gun and shot Beth and Dawn's just standing there looking overconfident and generally smug...you can tell she feels Beth's no threat.

I get that Emily is trying to justify the writing and the end, but her stabbing Dawn makes no sense either, even if you believe Beth could have done such a stupid thing when Emily has said in several interviews all she sees Beth wanting to do is reunite with Daryl and the rest of her extended family. Dawn has at least a T-shirt if not a tac vest on under her uniform shirt and the uniform shirts are thick...and Beth trying for the neck and missing as some folks have speculated...she's a long way from Dawn's neck, it looks like she's aiming for the shoulder, not really trying to hurt her, just making a point. Why? What point? She could have just said "You're a manipulative, horrible person" or "you won't get away with this" and left it...the stabbing for no reason is just so OOC...we don't see Beth randomly killing people at any point. Even the officer she helps kill, he's one of the bad ones who has hurt people...if he'd tried to help her or help Carol, Dawn would have been the one down the elevator shaft. Yes, she gets the scissors in that earlier scene right before Carol gets wheeled in, but I think it's because she feels like she has to save herself at that point and she seems desperate; once she knows the group is near by, she doesn't seem to feel the same way.

Also, Rick's always put himself physically between his people and any threat he sees and he does NOTHING? Shepherd's already told them they are going to kill Dawn and Shepherd seems amenable to making deals...why doesn't Rick draw Beth back and tell her he's got it under control and to trust him? Beth would have listened to Rick, she's done it since the farm fell and she knows and trusts him. It is so OOC for Rick to just stand there passively, especially this version of Rick 2.0.

Gimple talking about how he knew Beth's death would affect the most people and he wanted to make the most impact, Kirkman waiting until Beth was dead to confirm that Daryl's straight and Gimple also confirming that what Daryl and Beth had was way beyond a mere "attraction" and was something much deeper and more meaningful? It's all BS done to manipulate the audience. How can we trust them in the future? Sure, Rick and Carl are central to the comics and are almost certain to survive, but now we know that the person or people we care about the most and are the most invested in can go at any time if Gimple and Kirkman want to boost ratings.

Honestly? The worst-written, most OOC and worst-cut death scene in the entire series, whether or not you like Beth. If you're going to kill off someone knowing it is going to affect the majority of your fans, at least get it right.

It even hacks me off that Carol is brought to the group in a wheelchair looking all frail, like she's really being discharged from a hospital, but immediately stands (very fluidly I might add) after the exchange and Daryl pushes her a few feet. It's basically been a day since she had a dislocated shoulder and was hit by a car and she's too frail to walk to them, but she stands, goes down the stairs and out of the hospital without missing a beat? Of course they want her standing, because how else are they going to show the moment Carol sees Daryl's heart break so that they can get a great shot of Melissa reaching out to support him?

Then, they top it off by showing Morgan so that the impact of Daryl walking out with Beth's body isn't even the last thing we see? Way to cheapen the moment just to try to get people excited about the 2nd half of the season, 2 months away.

Final thing? Gimple handing Emily the script for 8 when they were filming 7 and telling her Beth's going to die when every other actor has said they received a phone call ahead of time and at least 1 had the opportunity to defend why her character should live when they were going to kill her off last season was really disrespectful to Emily. If you were going to be let go from a job you love, with people you adore and one which you'd literally arranged your whole life around, wouldn't you have wanted the same consideration they'd given everyone else? Wouldn't you have wanted it to be something more than a ratings game?

Just poorly done all around.

11. BethG

BethG New Member

JeannieDD...thanks for the feels...I just posted my own. Glad to know people who don't ascribe to any particular ship and just want to see good writing and great plots and storytelling are mad about it, too. Yeah, it negated all the positive stuff from Season 4, all the foreshadowing and great writing and acting we saw. I get that "characters die" thing, but to have so much build-up and then have Gimple say he went for the death that would have the most impact on the audience was horrible. Overall, I've been really disappointed in the writing this season...they have stressed stuff we probably got in 10 seconds and have glossed over other stuff and if the rumors out there about the second half are true, it looks like we're in for more of the same. The actors are great and, honestly, don't deserve this stuff and I include Emily in that statement.

12. Airborne

Airborne Member

I agree with the last part. Very disrespectful now that I think about it. That why she was crying so hard

13. lovedaryl

lovedaryl Well-Known Member

The writers this season have all become zombies. No emotion. No connection with reality - or their fans. The stories they are trying to tell are falling flat. The lines are becoming cheesy "Good thing we skipped breakfast." And there is no fluidity to the amazing stories they built up from the past 4 seasons. It's like the Body Snatchers. They are shells of people. Shells of writers. They are patting themselves on the back and resting on their laurels. Living in their own "we are so awesome" bubble, and guess what? It burst!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who think they killed of a way to interesting and conflicted (in herself) Character? In Dawn? She was kick ass too.

15. Kingston50

Kingston50 Well-Known Member

Kudos to this post.....

16. Kingston50

Kingston50 Well-Known Member

I feel like Beth's death was something out of a cheap C-rated horror movie like Freddy vs. Jason. I was no diehard Beth fan, but I did like Beth and became invested in her character. She deserved a death more fitting of someone who has been there since season 2. Instead her death was more fitting for a red shirt. That death was no different from Axel getting capped by the Governor. To top it all off, the way Kirkman was so indifferent and rather cold toward EK when she was visibly overcome with emotions on Talking Dead was just terrible. He's an oddball. I just felt really bad for EK that she had to endure that interview. Lauren Cohan should've been the guest. At least the interview would've flowed with someone there to hold her hand.

I have already stated that I've been under whelmed by this season so far. Rick has been one of the only saving graces, but I still have a bone to pick with Gimple because this guy just doesn't know how to successfully build up an arc, make it flow naturally with a grand pay off. The mid-season finale should have ended in fireworks, but I haven't even gotten a sizzle.

Other than Rick's unruly, no nonsense behavior and sexy head tilts I just find a lot of 5A to be lacking something. I was happy to see Michonne FINALLY get some freakin' spotlight. Her and that beautiful katana makes me swoon. I was also glad to see Carl be able to do more, but there were certain things that stuck out to me like a sore thumb. Judith on Michonne's back was clearly a doll. You could see the stiff arm clear as day. I was wondering when they were going to cut the scene so it won't be so damn obvious. Little things like that are irritating when this is season 5, not season 1 where they were more prone to being rusty on details. The graphics also look so poor now. They are overdoing the CGI.

Abe and crew. I hate you. Be gone. I liked seeing Michonne and Maggie interact with that hug, but when Michonne reveals to Maggie that Beth is alive I sighed....Its one of those moments where you have to remember that Maggie the character is not to blame, the stupid ass writers are. Beth wasn't even in Maggie's vocabulary, but now she remembers she has a sister. Nice try writers.

Tyrese. I just want to mute him. His conversations with Sasha have become a nuisance. He sounds like a broken record. I'm wondering if Gimple is stealing from the Green Mile. Let's make Tyrese into the big, gentle, black guy that always has the kindest, nicest things to say. Tyrese needs a new angle. Quick. Its a shame because I really do think Chad Coleman is a wonderful actor, but these writers again are just not very creative.

I still don't know what the hospital arc was about. Somehow finding people, bringing them back to the hospital to do laundry and mop floors is a part of the "greater good" or a system. That is one lousy system. I still don't know who Dawn was supposed to be. Her back story was a vague as T-Dog's back story. I'm supposed to believe that she killed her boss and assumed control. Then she was able to maintain that control for 2 years. Ok, whatever. She almost was killed by her buddy cop friend O'Donnell. Dawn was just a delusional head case. I guess that whole sympathetic card that Gimple tried to play with Dawn was supposed to make me feel sorry for her. Well, it didn't work.

Carol being able to walk after being in 2 car accidents is something that boggles my mind. Rick mowed down Bob 2.0 with a cop car. Bob 2.0 was paralyzed from that hit, but Carol has no broken bones, broken phalanges, a broken hip, fractured ribs...Nothing? Superhero Carol alright.

Last but not least Beth dying was so predictable and also so lame that I can't believe it even made it into the final script. Wasn't Gimple the one that re-wrote Andrea's death scene in season 3? Why couldn't he do that for Beth? So Beth gets cocky and stabs Dawn in the shoulder, then gets accidently shot? First of all, its very hard to believe that Beth would pull such a move when she's been biding her time, getting smart, turning into a survivor within those hospital walls. So the moment she is free she decides to stab down in the middle of a negotiation where any wrong move could've ended the lives of the people she cared about? They made Beth look like an idiot responsible for her own death. I get what motivated her. Dawn was a manipulative, power hungry bitch but the timing was ridiculous. It was just a poorly staged and poorly filmed death. I'm guessing they were going for shock value but they totally missed the mark. I wasn't even sure who got shot in that scene until Beth's body was on the ground. The actors made her death more powerful than what it was. The look in Rick's eyes and that heart breaking scene of Maggie falling to the ground is what salvaged me from completely turning off my TV. Lauren Cohan can act and I think its a shame that they have written Maggie so poorly since 4B.

Yeah, that's all I got for right now. I'm just disappointed though....

#176 Kingston50, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  17. eshlemon

eshlemon Member

Last 3 mid-seasons, a Greene is kidnapped and 2 killed. Running out of Greene's so next mid-season Maggie's turn again...unless she marries Glenn then we've got another one for a mid-season finale.

18. LoneRogue

LoneRogue Member

19. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

So...Will Morgan become Noahs guardian? Some kind of Crusader Kings 2 style, or like an uncle? I have some kind of sense this will happen. I bet that uncle gone and died so Morgan will fill the spot. Replacing his son, replacing his uncle.

20. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

Even though Carol is my fave...this bothers me. How she fell off a bridge + got car bashed and walks okay a day later. I liked Carol cause she seems real, but this puts her in Michonne drop from a tree like a ninja realm. I hope they tone it down.

As contrived as Beth's headshot was, I think it was a way to avoid putting her down.