Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Conquer 516- Complaints and Criticisms

Discussion in 'Episode 516 - Conquer' started by Neuropyramidal, Mar 27, 2015.

1. dankman247

dankman247 New Member

that would be me...im blushing...i am super handsome arent i, and you just had to assume it was a google search....xoxoxoxoxo

2. StoryLine

StoryLine Member

Well... if he had dived into every walker crowd in his trip all the way from Atlanta to Washington.....

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I have no doubt this is the case.

4. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

He means he's got an arrow sticking out of it.

5. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Active Member

Re: Glen saving Nick (again) and Maggie & Sasha sparing Gabriel (and praying with him!) WHAT?!

Overall: Great finale except these two major scenes/events. Now, I was all for the united front within the meeting and the overall ending, but "forgiveness" or "mercy" for these two after everything they have done was never less deserved by two people. Let's examine.

Glen Saves Cowardly Murderer who also tries to murder him - Right. So when someone murders your friend (Noah) in front of your eyes to save himself and leave you all to die - and then try to kill you after you gave him a 2nd chance, but then he tries to kill you a 3rd and 4th time, his evil selfish murdering ass deserves your mercy and a 5th chance with you helping him back to the camp? Bi*ch please.

That just made Glen look weak and pathetic, not strong and moral. Nick killed Noah in cold blood, shot and tried to kill Glen and then again tried to have him eaten alive. So, yeah, Glen letting him live was the stupidest thing I've ever seen and out of character.

Sasha & Maggie Save & Pray w/Gabriel - Absurd and the same thing as above, for the most part. He basically blamed Sasha for her boyfriend and brother's death like the total prick he is while he is the real murderer of people who trusted him (church), and tried to get Deanna to oust the group outside the walls. Even though Sasha didn't know the latter, he made himself clear as a cowardly, killer and traitor with an ironic God-complex.

So Sasha & Maggie (hey writers*): After saving himself by locking out all of the men, women and children - essentially mass murder - ruining the safe haven of the church risking Judith/Michonne/Carl's life to go look at the school, having the gall to thank "God" after people risked their lives to save him in the beginning, every time thereafter, letting others continuously save him on the journey, and now after betraying them to Deanna, he gets SYMPATHY, MERCY and a PRAYER session? What the ever-loving sh*t, Maggie (writers)? You heard him try to pull a "burn in hell" Church 2.0, but it's all cool now? The Real Maggie (writers*) would've laid the smack down on his treachery; not pray with him after he tries to have her group killed by Zombie exile. What a sideshow.

After we've seen what a pathetic monster Gabriel is, the show still attempts to write him as a redeemable, complex character, which he is not. For the apocalyptic religious angle, he no longer represents any useful conversation or purpose on "faith" anymore. He's the antonym of a "father". So articles discussing his final admission of sin, and "survivor's guilt" (which is NOT survivor's guilt) but rather the murderer of his people via sacrificing them to save his life. Survivor's guilt is when someone is NOT truly responsible for others' deaths yet feels responsible. They need to axe him and his religious "struggle" from the show. His once upon a time "faith" is beyond irrelevant now; he has proved to be nothing more than a self-centered coward, backstabber and moral/religious hypocrite to the extreme, who only pities his position with "God", not with the people he's actually wronged. So no, Gabriel is an evil bastard who needed to die.

Oh yeah, and Gabriel's "confession" and his breakdown was not only a boring, stupid waste of time, but after so much evil on his part that it didn't matter what the little rodent did. He was prepared to "lock everyone out" again by lying to Deanna to save himself and turn the group away, proving he's more of a narcissist/sociopath, only caring about himself than a person with a much of a conscience at all. He has no redeemable qualities and is ready to let others die for him by any means possible. So all that, having him pray with Maggie (who heard him sell out her group as Satan or the devil (whatever crap he spewed), and Sasha (after he baselessly lashes out blame at her for two deaths that weren't her fault when he's responsible for hundreds). Are you kidding me? This kind of crap writing is what makes real people deserving of real forgiveness lose all meaning.

If Pete had to die for the threat he posed and his inability to change, then these two scumbags should get the same fate, since they're both just as evil (if not worse), and have refused to change despite many unnecessary chances. They have not, and continue to undermine, lie and kill without reason. So to not render their existence an equal or greater threat made no sense.

Yes. I'm so angry about these two storylines, the hypocrisy of logic, the sudden idiocy of Glen & Maggie's characters (thanks, writers), that it sours my appreciation for the rest of this awesome episode. I would've given this finale a 10 if these two had gotten much needed bullets to their heads. So if Nick and Gabriel end up getting everyone killed, they will now deserve it. You know the saying. "Fu*k me once, shame on you. Fu*k me twice, OK three... oh wait, four... my bad, fives times: well, shame on me."

#125 AnnieOakley, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. Trinnity

Trinnity New Member

Wasn't he speaking to God while in the church? I think he had a vision or something while in the church or soon after.

7. Trinnity

Trinnity New Member

My only real complaint is the stabbing of zombies in the frontal bone. It's just too thick for a knife to enter that easily.

The temple, or eye socket for a straight forward thrust will work.

These places will work for an upward thrust:

Under the ear behind the jaw.
    Under the mastoid bone.
    At the base of the skull.
    Under the jaw.

It bothers me to see them stabbing the skull where a knife can't penetrate.

8. Penumbra

Penumbra New Member

The show has consistently followed the philosophy that sometimes good people die, and sometimes people who maybe should die don't, at least not at the appropriate time. It's a theme of life in general, ZA or not. Some people's first instinct in key situations is to panic, which Gabriel did when his congregation sought safety in his church, and while it resulted in their deaths, that's just how some people are some times. He'll have that on his conscience all his life and will pay for that mistake many times and in many ways, but it's clear his turmoil has taken him to a dark place.

I'm not a religious person but I thought the scene with Gabriel, Maggie and Sasha was poignant in the sense that it gave Maggie a chance to impart some of her strength onto two people in need of help. Maggie seems quite chilled out and level headed and she was able to read that Sasha and Gabriel were broken and twisted. To be honest she's probably the only person in the group who can help them banish their demons, so to speak.

What I hope is that there is an overall point to keeping Gabriel alive. He's not really notable for anything significant so far and just feels like he's being dragged along without any real purpose. I'd feel a bit deflated if they suddenly "fixed him" then immediately killed him off because it renders all previous episodes pointless.

On another subject, first post so hello to everyone :Grin:

9. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

There have been a number of episodes where someone will stomp on a walkers head ,breaking it easier than an eggshell and flatter than a pancake.

10. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Hello back. Excellent first post.

I know what you mean about Gabriel. At this stage I think they've written him into a corner. I mean, he'd have to do something like save Rick by destroying a field full of zombies and then run into a burning orphanage and save all the orphans before running back inside to save the puppies and kittens and then tragically stumble outside on fire while being bitten by zombie orphans and then die in Rick's arms with his last words being "I was wrong about you Rick, please forgive me" before we'd say "eh, maybe he redeemed himself".

Even if he offered himself as a sacrifice in the place of Daryl or Glenn we'd still be inclined to think "again with the drama queen?" So, I agree, I think his character is pointless and we've had enough of the whiny cowardice and hypocrisy and don't want to see any more. I don't know where he can go from here that would be satisfying. Right now he's too far gone to come back.

11. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

Really nothing will ever make me like Gabriel. I don't see the point in him. He is unlikable. People hated on Andrea, but damn, this is where the hate really should be at. There is nothing good about him...I don't feel sorry for him.

12. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I am not religious and I hate Gabriel - I read the spoiler of the pray scene and cringed a bit. But actually it turned out quite beautiful. What I took from it was as you said Maggie handing some strength to an obviously broken Sasha and Gabriel. She could have been a total dick to Gabe or used the info about him before-hand, but she didn't. She was more like how Hershel would behave. Since ASZ I have felt a bit of a Hershel vibe to her tbh. I think Maggie even had a little "self help" during the prayer circle, concerning the loss of Beth and Hershel finally.

13. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

If there are no leaves on the trees and it's cold enough you can see your breath then it's too cold for mosquitos to be out. Also I've never heard anybody call it 'the forest' in the southeast/mid-Atlantic states. It's 'the woods' unless you're a transplant from up north or Canada.

14. mistymage

mistymage Member

So just how did Daryl, Arron and Morgan get back inside of Alexandria? Rick locked it (threw the bolt) and slid the inner gate shut. There was no guard on the gate.

So did they shinny up the poles? Or maybe just climbed the gate? Or did they use movie magic and walked through a locked gate?

15. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

Deanna sent Spencer to the gate.

16. KAY EL

KAY EL Member

Actually, this is TOTALLY in character with Glen. Rick or Daryl would've killed Nicholas without a second thought. In fact I do not recall Glen killing anybody, not even the Termites ( could be wrong).

17. Penumbra

Penumbra New Member

I have to agree. On reflection I'd have been more shocked if Glenn had killed him despite the fact Nick ultimately deserved it, at least in a post-apocalyptic world where law and order are but distant memories and execution seems to be a quick and easy way of dealing with these sorts of people! For me, Glenn keeping Nick alive was in character.

It seems that, at least anyway, Alexandria's way of dealing with tricky inhabitants is a public forum. After the events of the finale, where Deanna now seems to have accepted the idea that execution is absolutely fine, I suspect Nick will get his time in the docks so to speak. He's going to be brought to justice but will be facing the evolved form of justice they have now and at least this way Glenn has a guilt-free conscience.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Negan Grimes

Negan Grimes Member

The 'lock' on the gate did not appear be be much more than a round peg that slid into a hole. Certainly not something desighned to keep a person out, just to keep the gate closed. I don't recall a latch on the inner gate. That could have been slid open by reaching through the outer gate. After the inner gate is clear one could reach through and with a little strength rotate the peg and push it out of the hole. It's not a far stretch to think that Aaron would know how to get back in. What does bother me is that it is too easy to get in. I thought Rick was clear there needs to be 24hr watch.

19. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

He facilitated and coordinated the killing of a guy in Woodbury. He broke off bone , gave it to Maggie which was used to stab guy in the neck. I forget if he distracted guy when it was done. He at least provided the weapon.

20. len112

len112 Member

Why did Gabriel have a perfect white shirt after 2 bloody kills ? Is it symbolic . I don't get it .