Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by surviving, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, who is planning to travel to Wuhan or anywhere in China right now anyway....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

3. Lindigo

I find it fascinating that a hospital can be built in 10 days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

5. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

6. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

My reason for concern is that I don't trust anything coming out of Chinese media or their government. Did you read about how the doctor who discovered the first cluster of cases and posted he thought it was similar to SARS in December was told by the police to sign a confession that he was making things up or get arrested?

How do we know the cases are 20k or so? What if they're 100k? What if there are thousands dead and not 500? How would that change it's global threat potential? Until scientists NOT connected with China feel they have a good handle on things I won't rest easy.

That being said, I agree completely about the numbers as they stand. *At this point* it's no worse than the yearly flu, and probably *less* severe. I just don't think we know enough yet to say that for sure.

And I'm glad Trump and multiple other countries are taking it seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Morgotha

You've convinced me. Time to burn down all the jungles and pave them in asphalt and concrete! No new germs!

Anyway, I'd like to see a global handwashing and lack of social touching (handshakes, etc.) campaign. That would probably do as much as anything at slowing things down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Morgotha

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Morgotha

It should be easy enough to find out. If it was a lab accident there would be a lot of infected personnel in the lab. If they were going to release it intentionally, would they really do it in their own town? Probably not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Morgotha

Hee hee, I was thinking one could probably get pretty cheap tickets there right now:rolleyes::oops:. OTOH, the airlines aren't flying there, so no joy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Morgotha

Not just fascinating, down right unbelievable!:eek: That's some dedication.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

He also just died....from the Coronavirus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Destruction of the rainforests (the world’s largest pharmacy, etc.) would be a grave mistake and part of the problem. Without them life on this planet would soon become unbearable.

https://www.britannica.com/story/what-happens-to-earth-if-the-amazon-rainforest-is-completely-burned

The problem lies with human behavior. Wash your goddamn hands and carry hand sanitizer with you! I know you’re being facetious but seriously, people usually can be relied upon to act against their own best interests. It is known, lol.

14. Morgotha

The main point of the article being we don't need the rainforest for oxygen, and hence can cut it down and build low-income housing in its place. thus curing the Homeless problem at the same time. Win-win.

I agree about the simple things being probably the most important. Good sanitation of waste. Handwashing. clean water. That would prevent a LOT of disease.

Unfortunately, we can't even get people in this country to give their kids vaccines. How can we expect someone who's uneducated to comply with our health instructions?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

16. Lindigo

I couldn't repaint my kitchen cabinets in ten days....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Well, yes, the article seems to disagree with the theory about earth’s oxygen (although there are opposite viewpoints) and talks about ocean plankton but man is fouling the oceans as well, but that’s another discussion.

In the end it talks about the lack of biodiversity and destroying that which we don’t really have complete knowledge of. Besides the destruction of animal species which leads to a lack of biodiversity, what new pharmaceuticals might yet be developed from flora found in the Amazon rain forest?

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cancer-fighters-derived-from-nature

Would you really want to see it paved over?

At least we agree that people can be their own worst enemies when it comes to staying healthy.

18. Morgotha

Every time I get a mosquito bite I'm ready to break out the chainsaws and steamrollers.

20 years ago I would have agreed completely about the necessity of preserving the rain forest for the sake of potentially unfound useful compounds. Now though? With the acceleration of genetic mapping and production of targeted agents, I think we'll *create* the best cancer-fighting agents, not find them. So that's strike two for the jungle.

Btw... sheesh! No, I don't really want to destroy the rainforest, and would preserve our environment as much as possible. Well, unless the price of gas would go up as a result, but that's another topic altogether.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Lindigo

Speaking of mosquitoes, may they all burn in hell--bip bip bip bip, this year's HGTV "Dream" home is built on a barrier island (you know, the places hurricanes destroy regularly) and it is on the marsh side instead of the ocean view side, which makes it more sheltered from the hurricanes, but you overlook the protected mosquito breeding habitat. Yay. I do like this porch. it is screened in, even on the bottom under the planking, so the little boogers can't get to you from below.

And I'm still entering. lol

https://www.hgtv.com/design/hgtv-dream-home/2020/hgtv-dream-home-2020-screened-porch-pictures

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Why is it only showing pics of the porch? Lol

• Agree Agree x 1