Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Death of second stringers?

Discussion in 'Episode 213 - Beside the Dying Fire' started by Zombie Lover, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

Did you think the second stringers should've died? I felt sorry for the young man in the RV.

Did it seem cheesy to you that the only characters to be killed were ones no one really knows/cared about?

If a character other than the two had died which made more logical sense?

Even though I like Carol, it seemed to me that she had the least ability to defend herself, and she had gotten seperatd. I don't really see how she lived.

2. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

I felt bad for Jimmy too. Terrible. I think they are sincerely just not going to kill anymore 'main' characters and Carol just seems to be one of them. I thought she was a goner, but hey, what do I know?? As far as I was concerned Andrea should have been too.

My conclusion is that they decided someone had to die and it had to be Jimmy and Patricia......I thought for sure Beth was a goner too, but I guess they need to keep her so Hershel had someone.

3. JFB_JP

JFB_JP Member

I didn't find it cheesy considering the fact that both Dale and Shane just died. I figured a few minor characters would get taken out, but the main cast is getting a bit thin these days... I will say that things weren't looking too good for Carol or Andrea near the end.

4. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

The thing to remember with Jimmy is that this is the first time the Green's have delt with what the world really has become. Take any of the original Rick crew. When they got into the RV with the SHTF the first thing they would have done is lock the doors. It was brought up months ago that those who learn how to fight this crap from the onset would probably fare better then those that chose to live underground or in a bunker. It's the little things that turn around and bite ya in the ass. In this case, literally.

5. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Well, the producers are obviously not afraid to kill off main characters. TWO of the original group were killed in the past three weeks. Three this season. It would have seemed cheesey if nobody died however, escaping a zombie horde. I imagine however that next season will have a high body count. My bets would definitely be on Lori at this point.

6. Jersey_Dixon

Jersey_Dixon Member

Considering they already killed off Sophia, Dale, and Shane? I'm glad the 'Main' crew survived. (Well aside from Lori) I honestly was surprised Hershel made it.

7. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Yes, on Talking Dead, Glen Mazzara actually said that Hershel was slated for death in the finale. They had a script and told him he was done. But then it didn't fit, so they wrote him back in. And he kicked ass. I hope they keep him for a while. Hershel has really started to grow on me.

8. marsyao

marsyao Member

Hershel was supposed to die in the "better angel", the plot was that Randal escaped and killed Hershel, then Shane killed Randall and set up his own plot to kill Rick, but the producer changed their mind.

9. Zombie Lover

Ooh, I actually like that better than what they did. They could've easily changed it to wound Hershel.

10. KPandoraStar

KPandoraStar Member

It was time to trim some of the fat. There are a couple of threads floating around out there about who the most useless character was (not the most hated, I think Lori still holds that title), and they got taken out in the finale. I don't actually know who Patricia was. Another one of Herschel's kids? His veterinary assistant?

It had to be done, because we're obviously going to meet some new people next season (and perhaps reunite with some old ones?), and the writers had to make room for them somehow. And yes, how loud would we be screaming if the farm had been overrun and no one had died? It was predictable, but it was necessary.

11. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

The is the Zombie Apocalypse and stuff happens...better the Second Strings than the first Stringers.

12. Joenips

Joenips Member

As stated before Hershel was not supposed to make it to the finale according to Glen Mazzara, but he felt like they weren't gaining anything from his death. He was just being killed to be killed, which they said they dont want to do. If you look at Dale's death it represent the last bit of their humanity and Shane's represent the changing of Rick, Hershel's would have done nothing. Glen also stated the the look on Hershel's face as they were leaving the farm and him realizing the farm was lost, was well worth not killing him and will lead to a bigger change in the development of Hershel.

(Patricia was Otis's wife.)

13. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

this....this....this.....this

14. Elvis Ambush

Elvis Ambush Member

First post!

Frankly, i think they kept the second stringers around just so they could be killed. That was pretty much their sole purpose for being around.

15. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

I did not think it was cheesy because we lost two primary characters in back to back weeks leading up to the finale. Core group members were lost, and to me it doesn't matter if they were lost in the finale or earlier episodes. Now if the entire core cast had made it through season two unscathed I'd call BS but as it stands the group suffered significant casualties.

16. DedHed082

DedHed082 Member

Initially, I was disappointed that it wasn't a bigger bloodbath...but I think these posts have made me see the light.

But, I still want to see Lori get her face chewed off ;)

#16 DedHed082, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  17. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

To tell you the truth, I think because they killed off Dale and Shane in the previous episodes, it lessoned the impact of the finale. I knew they would not bother to kill any more main cast characters. So it made the second stringers deaths predictable and I didn't get the same sense of danger. There is another thread about what is the best episode so far. I feel like the finale wasn't because it lacked that ''Who is going to die'' feeling. The Premier definitely made me wonder who was going to die but after you kill huge character two episodes in a row, you know the writers won't do it again.

#17 yuuyake, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  18. Zombie Lover

I agree. For me killing off Otis' family really didn't have much impact. No one really knew them that well, and with all the risky stuff going on in camp (rick and carl setting the barn on fire, leaping off onto the RV. Everyone running around in camp with walkers, Carol separated from the group, beth getting hysterical it just seemed to me they killed off a few loose ends- Otis's family.

I think they should've saved one of the main character's death for the finale.

19. Cal_For_Carol

Cal_For_Carol Member

I disagree. If a main character had died in the finale, in this circamstance, it wouldn't have had the same impact as both Dale and Shane's deaths took time were over the course of a few minutes, where as Patricia and Jimmy, the ones who died in the season finale, were took down in a matter of seconds.

If Dale or Shane had died in the season finale, none of the characters would have stood around, or had time to mourn until they got off the farm, in which case it would have lost it's effect. If Shane had died with hundreds of walkers around, do you think Rick would have lay across his body, shouting, breaking down? No, he would have looked, then took off running. Would Daryl and the group have took time to stand around Dale in his final moments? No, they would have all took off running and Dale would have been left to die alone in a field full of walkers, or torn apart.

'Judge, Jury, Executioner' was all about Dale's struggle to show the group their humanity, it all was about Dale. Same with 'Better Angels', it was all about Shane. Which made it even more dramatic. The first twenty minutes of the season finale wasn't about the characters, it was about giving us the action we'd been waiting for all season. There wasn't any build up to Jimmy or Patricia's death. Jimmy and Patricia probably had 3 or 4 lines between them during that episode, and they were took out so brutally which wouldn't have been a great end to any of our main characters.

20. ostendadler

ostendadler Member

Patricia's dead looked so bad ... and unatural ... waaaaa-iiittt ok now grab me and eat me