Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Denise's medical skill

Discussion in 'Episode 605 - Now' started by Blueman, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

When Denise extracted some yellowish fluid from the leg wound, the beeping went from high frequency (assuming to be abnormal) to regular (assuming to be good).

Could someone with some medical knowledge comment on this scene?
    What could be that beeping monitoring on? heart rate?
    Is this just a drama exaggeration? or, this is really some medical credibility about this action?

2. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Presumably she was draining the fluids from the infected site. It seemed a bit exaggerated to me. I'm by no means a medical professional, but it doesn't seem like it would have such an immediate effect.

3. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I think she slept thru some classes in college and med school . She probably got a D pus in the test on a bodies response to pathogens.

4. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

I c wat ewe did there. ;p

5. mtcsteelcurtain

I am a nurse. The faster beeping was supposed to indicate a fast heart rate, which often occurs with a serious infection. Pus is a result of the body's production of white blood cells to help fight an infection. Removal of the pus does not mean removal of the infection. Therefore, the heart rate would not decrease as it did after removal of the pus. It was a GREAT exaggeration. The only way this man would probably realistically survive is by IV antibiotics.

6. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Now if she was removing a clot or blockage it could stabilize the heart rate, but this show has always played fast and loose with medicine (Rick was lying in that hospital bed for how long?!? Beth was told to give Carol an IV drip, but performed a push. Carl should not have survived the 1-mile run to Hershel's farm, let alone the surgery performed in substandard conditions and with minimal meds thereafter...) I am a healthier person for ignoring these things. ;P

7. Berry

Berry Member

Yeah, the heart doesn't care about the pus. Would have preferred it if she went in search of the bullet (unless it went through), but better yet.. tons of antibiotics!

Hershel survived an amputation.. this guy might do better too (especially if it had been performed sooner rather than later...).

I DO hope the dude survives. Glenn died? trying to save him.

8. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Due to her amazing reading skills, the dood's going to live.

9. jackson04

jackson04 Active Member

I'm a nurse as well, and this scene irritated me so much last night! lol. You are exactly right IV antibiotics is the only way he would realistically survive. This was a GREAT exaggeration.

10. drifter77

drifter77 Member

I have no medical knowledge at all, but I found myself yelling "drain the wound" and "antibiotics" at the TV. So I don't have much hope for anyone with a serious injury surviving here "treatment".

11. a.t.a.k.i.t.h

a.t.a.k.i.t.h Member

Denise is the worst character in 6 by a mile

12. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

I'm with you on that. They keep trying to force her story line down our throat, but does ANYBODY really care? I'm surprised they didn't keep Mrs. Niedermeyer alive and try to develop a story line doubting her pasta making skills.

13. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Well, she's not likely to be among my top 10 anytime soon... But "worst by a mile" is a stretch with Gabriel, Carter, Spencer, and Ron out there.

14. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Her medical skills are going to become extremely important, very soon.

15. drifter77

drifter77 Member

You gotta admire Tara's luck though. She stumbles on a small group in the woods and there happens to be a hot lesbian there. Finds another smallish group, finds another one (although not as hot). She's had better romantic luck than nearly any character on the show.

16. a.t.a.k.i.t.h

a.t.a.k.i.t.h Member

Yea but Gabes character can act and his position makes sense and is actually bearable to watch. Denises character is an acting abomination.

17. a.t.a.k.i.t.h

a.t.a.k.i.t.h Member

Hot Damn

18. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

That could very well be the case. I'll have to wait and see if there's a big payoff that couldn't have been accomplished by just giving that story line about 20% of the screen time instead.

19. plotholes

plotholes Member

Wouldn't it be funny if what she actually did was to euthanized the poor guy.

20. Coreenfw

Coreenfw Member

I truly want to like Denise, and so far... Even though her poorly scripted medical inadequacy is driving me CRAZY, i keep reminding myself that their medical info has always been pretty poor here, i think she could be an interesting character. Having said that.... And since when do you drain a purulent wound by putting a needle in and sucking out some pus. I could see the heart rate go down quickly, in response to releif of the pain/pressure in the abscess. Yes, i am a Dr. ( Veterinarian -Go Hershel!!) in aminals we would have lanced the wound, pulled out any foreign debris ( including bullet if it was reachable, and then flushed the wound with sterile saline, then bandaged, either left open wound, or placed a drain to keep it open for further flushing as needed.... And of course IV antibiotics. Silly writers, they need a medical consultant!! i would apply for that job!!!