Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Desensitization?

Discussion in 'Zombie Chatter' started by JerseyZombabe, Jan 24, 2014.

1. T Dis

T Dis Active Member

[MENTION=2446]Outdoorsguy[/MENTION] O_O Damm!! You took the words right out of my post. Yes TV,and games desensitize us to violence in the way that when we hear it on the news, and see it on tv, we aren't shocked, but when it's happening right in front of you, people getting killed and only having one to two seconds to react before you're next, no one is ever prepared for that besides perhaps soldiers who have been deep in a war. The child soldiers in various countries in Africa, the drug lords who order people tourtured and dismembered alive sometimes just for kicks, a lot of teenagers involved in gangs and dog fighting, the people like that would survive because they are living it every day, they'd be shocked and jumping out of their skins until they realized what was happening, but they would be the ones to survive, and not only be the hunted, but the hunters. Just IMO.

2. T Dis

T Dis Active Member

The obese, elderly, disabled, the couch potatoes, all the fancy people who spend 3 hours getting dressed and dolled up for the day, the people sitting around playing video games and WOW who really believe they are superhero's...they would be the first ones to go. ( I would prolly be included in that, heh...)

Too bad that if an uprising of the dead ever did occur, we couldn't train them to eat those freaking b@stards that come pounding on the door and wake you up at 8am on Sunday mornings to ask "if YOU had HEARD the word of JEEEEEEZZZZUUSS!!" Now that would be a brilliant ZA! :)

3. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I am a Christian… and I fully agree with you. But, technically, it's, "Jaeyzus-ah!" as in, "Brothas 'n' sistas, have you heard [gasps for breath] about the love of Jaeyzus-ah!?"

#23 HondaS2kXD, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  4. T Dis

T Dis Active Member

You just made me laugh so hard I teared up & I snotted myself! Are you happy now? ARE YOU?!

*reaches for a tissues* :)

5. Leon

Leon Member

You are talking about material that is both audio, visual and in some cases interactive. It's down to the individual to observe and learn what information they can, granted they are playing something that is created by design to be realistic.

You wouldn't tell me that Thomas the Tank engine is not a useful aid for studying railway or train operation because it would be illogical that someone would use a kids show for that purpose, much like COD it is not designed to be realistic.

Take America's army for example, you'll still need actual experience with an M4 Carbine to be accurate and sustain the recoil, but at least the game already taught you how to operate the rifle, even going as far as how to eject a round already in the chamber in the event of a jam. But again it comes down to the kid playing this to observe the information given and learn something from it.

6. Geek Walker

Geek Walker Member

Everyone reacts differently to many different situations.

My girlfriend's brother and I witnessed a lady get hit by a Jeep Grand Cherokee at 45 MPH. She was dead instantly, no doubt about it. She was j-walking and looking the wrong way when the Jeep (who obviously wasn't paying attention) hit her. I saw it about to happen as I was traveling the opposite way, I yelled out to her that a car was coming but it was too late. That's the first time I had ever seen someone die. It was weird for a minute but I did what I could and got past it. My girlfriend's brother, well it took a few weeks for him to get back to normal, and he considered himself to be immune to that stuff (he grew up in a ghetto part of town). The only thing that really stuck in my mind was I was the last thing she heard and saw before passing.

Like I said, different people react differently no matter what games or shows they experiment with. Like Leon said, it just depends on how the info is processed.

7. Cass_Reyna

Cass_Reyna New Member

Desensitization

To me personally being a fan of the show I don't believe that zombie movies or shows. I believe this because, I'm not going to lie but when I first started watching the series (The Walking Dead) got me like obsessed instantly. I immediately was intrigued by it and all of the things I saw and the conflict that took place. I was so intrigued by it I felt like I needed to defend myself. Anyway once I got a little bit further into the season I started realizing this show isn't just about zombies or dead or anythings it's about the people around and how they would treat each other in the apocalypse and that's what scared me is people would actually probably really try to kill and that's not right like I feel like this show isn't desensitizing to people but it makes people aware that SOME people can be evil and cruel to this world not everyone. what I'm trying to say is people are the real threat and the show doesn't make you violent the conflict taking place is what the audience focuses on.

8. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Okay this is slightly off the beaten path of this conversation, but I want to point out that they did use the word "zombie" a few times in the comic. I wouldn't be totally opposed to them dropping the word at least once on the show. They could do it in a tongue in cheek way, as to not take away from the feel of being in a world where 'Zombie culture' doesn't exist.

So maybe there's a scene on the show where Carl picks up a book and reads the word and wonders what that word means. Or some little toddler says it, because toddles come up with goofy words for no reason.

I don't know. Maybe this is a stupid idea. It's stupid, right? Yeah it's stupid. I hate myself.