Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Did Annie deliberately not shoot herself?

Discussion in 'Episode 603 - Thank You' started by DarylFTW, Oct 27, 2015.

1. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

It seemed to me that Annie was very sure and advanced in her thinking about the walkers. She knew she was a liability. She knew there was a bigger more desperate situation that Alexandria faced with all the walkers loose. When she fell down she deliberately told them to stay back. (that wasn't easy) And she did fire at a few walkers, so she put up some resistance. But she didn't save that last round for herself. Did she do that on purpose? Did she really sacrifice herself to that degree to give the others a chance to escape?

2. drifter77

drifter77 Member

Didn't she try to shoot herself, but the clip was empty? Seems like she just lost track of how many rounds she had left.

3. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

She did not intend to fall down. The zombie herd was approaching quickly; the urgency of the situation bearing down on an already sprained ankle led her to fall down. Once she was down, her first immediate thought was to kill the walkers around her and then maybe she could fight her way out. Not everyone's first thought is suicide. About 4-5 seconds elapsed before she fell and was finally overpowered. By the time she realized she couldn't escape and should stop wasting bullets on the walkers (and maybe consider suicide), it was too late. Maybe if she had a few more seconds (or bullets) she would have shot herself, but such is the luck of the draw in the zombie apocalypse. Time waits for no one.

She told Michonne and Crew to leave without her when she was still in the Pet Store, but they vowed to bring her along (provided she could keep with the pace). Once she fell, the odds of her surviving were plummenting with every step of the herd. She knew it. The crew knew it. No need to drag more lives down.

4. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

I didn't mean to imply that she committed suicide. It just seemed to me from her discussion in the pet store that she knew she was a liability and that she might have to make that choice. Well, actually she did make that choice but they told her to go with them. I just thought that she seemed to have alot of sense about the fact that the others needed to get to ASZ as fast as they could. She really didn't want to slow them down. I felt bad that she had to die. I think she could have been a good addition to the group.

5. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

Yeah, Annie and Scott were both well aware of the gravity of their problems. Hell, even David was, it's just the nature of the situation. Of all the Alexandrians, including Nicholas, they actually "got it" and I agree that they would've made great additions to the team. It was just unfortunate they got such crippling injuries.

6. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

It would have been better for Annie (and maybe David for awhile) if the group locked them in that back (doorless) room in the pet shop with a promise to return as soon as possible. THEN the others could have broken out through the front door and taken off. Annie still had a gun that she could use to a. kill David if he turned first b. shoot herself if all seemed hopeless c. even if no one came back, emerge when things sounded quiet again. Maybe Annie would have had a chance that way.

7. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Yes, she and David and even Scott should have stayed put inside the pet shop. Michonne and Heath could just leave to divert the herd away (I do not think walkers can do the accounting ''that 5 went in and 2 came out and so there must be 3 left inside'' stuff).

8. Busted Flipflop

Just to bring up a side issue, Annie's companions could've also shot her in the head while she was being mauled alive (though I realize that may have been difficult to do). It seems like they don't do any mercy killing in this show. For example, Will is being eaten alive and Heath and Michonne just stand there on the opposite side of the fence staring at him. Heath had been shooting at the walkers through the chain fence, he could've easily shot Will in the head to spare him that agony. Over and over we see this sort of thing happening when companions just let someone (or an animal) get eaten alive without being merciful and ending it for them. Carol on the other hand is the exception. She has no problem with that sort of thing. Any opportunity she has to stick that blade in someone's head and she's on it, lol.

9. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

It would have made sense from a "realism" point of view for her to have shot herself (or for the others to shoot her as [MENTION=3949]Busted Flipflop[/MENTION] posted above). I think the reason they didn't was purely for dramatic purposes though, they wanted to show her being torn apart, but more importantly they were saving that whole gig for Nick atop the dumpster. If they had two people in the episode shoot themselves within minutes of each other it would have diminished the "Oh shit" reaction to Nick doing it.

10. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

They should really done some practices around. This is why military and such is only fit for some people. When people throw fit and starts blasting their guns at everything or gets a mental breakdown...well. Had they brought along people who knew something or had good heads...even if they where less people! They be better off.

11. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

That scene is my biggest nightmare. I would always spare one bullet for my brains. My body is still warm when I do it, so I'll give my people a headstart, and the sound of the gun will attract the same ammount of Walkers as my screaming... damn I'm to much into this... :zombies_lol:

12. Busted Flipflop

I wonder though, if someone shoots themselves in the head (and thus dead), will the walkers still want to eat them? I read somewhere on here that walkers won't go after a person who is already dead and not turned (which means their brains destroyed). Kind of like some animals who won't eat a fresh dead carcass. Its the whole reason why Rick didn't kill the piglets first before throwing them off the truck during the prison season (which would have been the most humane thing to do thing to do)

13. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

I hear you. It seemed like the group had only been at Alexandria for a few days, a week at the very most, before they decided to move the herd. Rick felt they needed to act pretty quickly, so I guess that's why they didn't postpone the operation to better train people.

With the size of the herd, the all hands on deck idea did seem like a good one at the time. But in hindsight, I agree with you, they would've been better without the inexperienced red shirts. They proved to be more of a liability than a benefit.

#13 JohnConnor, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  14. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

Of course if you go by The Walking Dead universe (to include Fear The Walking Dead) the military seems utterly incompetent and only capable of terrorizing and shooting live, uninfected people.

15. Tara La Reine

Tara La Reine Member

To be fair, it was supposed to be a dry run. Then the truck fell and then the horn went off, and the whole thing turned into a clusterf$&@.

16. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Being eaten alive tickles, didn't you know that?

17. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Indeed! I say they would been fine off not taking them along. Be less ruckus or let them stick with Tobin as the back up or what the hell now he is doing.

That is just a plothole, bad writing or knowledge of how military work. To make them the villian or to explain why the military couldn't handle a bunch of slow moving targets when the police figured out DAMN FAST that shoting heads was the solution.

Well. They where there to do it at the spot right? So they had 0 training.

Also, how did they lead the ****ers up by the collapsing truck? Was it another team or they let that part slide while hoping the rest come along?

18. plotholes

plotholes Member

I wonder why the idea of smearing zombie guts on themselves as a disguise is not used anymore.

On the other hand, repeated use of it wouldn't make for much drama...