Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Do you think Shane would have been different......

Discussion in 'Episode 212 - Better Angels' started by DixonBrothersS3, Nov 16, 2014.

1. DixonBrothersS3

If Rick didn't have the coma and they survived the beginning of the apocalypse together? Wouldn't have had the affair with Lori and all which really screwed him up.

2. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. His core characteristics would have remained the same. He would have still been hotheaded and made his decisions based on what needed to be done as opposed to what was right or wrong. Him and Rick would have still nutted heads but I don't see any reason that Rick would have become the object of his hatred if not for the competition for Lori's affection. IMO, the two things that pushed Shane over the edge were the windmill talk with Lori and Rick choosing Daryl over him to be his wingman on the trip to drop Randall off.

3. The Samurai

The Samurai Member

[MENTION=66252]The Gov[/MENTION] nailed it.

4. DixonBrothersS3

I agree. Him and Rick would have butted heads but not as much as they did and wouldn't be as bad as it was at times when they did.

5. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Lori's vagina is what drove him insane. No coma'd Rick, no Lori vagina, no inShane.

6. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Rick and Shane had problems excluding Lori. Shane wanted the group to go to Ft. Benning, when there was no sign the army was still intact. He wasn't appreciative towards Hershel Greene, who let the group stay on his farm. Shane wanted the group to abandon the search for Sophia. He was jealous of Daryl's growing importance to Rick and the group.

I concede that Shane was right about Randall (even Rick regretted taking the kid to the farm), but Shane likely would've been hostile to outsiders like Oscar, Axel, and Tyreese's group.

Shane might've used Lori to influence Rick's decisions, which would've added more pressure on an already troubled marriage.

#6 Rapscallion, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  7. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Shane is DEAD.

8. DHill2127

DHill2127 Member

Yes, because Shane wouldn't have had an affair with Lori, and would have been cool with Rick still.

9. DixonBrothersS3

Well that's true but it was all due to Rick's coma which led to Shane and Lori's affair which led to all that. You don't think Shane would have been a little bit more sane if Rick never had the coma before the apocalypse happened? Wouldn't have had the affair with Lori.

10. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I think something would have driven him against Rick still.

11. Necrophile213

Fort Benning was the right call. In a deleted scene Rick admitted that himself. Not sure if that counts or not. Lol. CDC proved to be nothing more than a waste of gas and resources, the death of Jacqui, and a major plot hole in brain functions of walkers. They need up headed in that direction anyways. Impossible to play out a domino effect here as I know that it would change the whole story. I don't believe that Shane didn't respect Hershels hospitality, but that he was just unable to get past the fact that he was keeping Walkers in his barn. Again, no way to know how he would acted, but I have little reason to think that would have went down too much differently. Shane was being realistic about the stopping the search and proved to be right in the end. He was thinking based on years of experience as a cop. Nothing wrong with that. As good as Daryl was as a tracker, he was given ample time to find her and he couldn't. Shane saw that. Tough call to make, but that what good leaders do. I agree that he was jealous over Daryl's place, but the jealousy stemmed from him feeling replaced. Had there been no affair with Lori I don't think Shane would have came unhinged as bad and that may not have happened.

12. Necrophile213

Let's not forget that Shane was the voice of reason when Rick was half cocked ready to leave Carl without a blood type match to go get supplies. Shane wanted to call it a night and head back to the highway and pick it up in the morning the night Carl was shot and Rick wanted to keep searching. Shane also handled the Dale gun situation pretty rationally. IMO, that was a pretty serious offense what Dale did and it was purely an attempt to get Shane upset more than wanting to help the group. Old or not, Dale deserved an ass whopping. He tried to separate and keep his distance from Lori and Carl, but they kept coming to him. Carl felt more comfortable with Shane than he did with Rick. In the walk in the wood with Randall he admitted to knowing exactly where his group was and that it was only 5 miles away. There's no reason to think that Shane wasn't completely right and that he would have brough a war to the farm.

13. Rapscallion

Rick was nearly in shock because Carl had been shot, so it's understandable why'd he'd want to be the one to get the medical supplies.

There was still daylight left to continue the search for Sophia. What happened to Carl was a stupid accident, like Rick said.

Dale hid the guns because Shane wanted to clear the barn of the walkers immediately. Dale and Rick were justifiably afraid that if the group took matters into their own hands, Hershel would throw them off his farm. Dale tried to reason with Shane when he was discovered, but Shane didn't want to hear it.

I agree wholeheartedly that Randall was a threat and never should've been brought to the farm.

14. Necrophile213

It had been made clear to him that he was the only blood type match and that had he left Carl would,with 100% certainty, die. Wanting to go is one things. Being prepared to actually do it was stupid. No way to know for sure, but had Shane not been there to reason with him, he may have wondered out that door thinking he could be back in time and Carl would have died. Great leaders have to be able to maintain rational thinking in a crisis. At that time, Rick was horrible in a crisis.

Incan agree with your statement about daylight. It probably was the right call to keep searching. Just pointing out hat had they listened to Shane that Carl wouldn't have been shot.

are you saying that preserving the walkers in the barn was more important than keeping the group protected. What if a small but manageable herd had came through and people had ran into at RV assuming those guns were there and they weren't and they were trapped? We dont know what percentage of their weapons were in that bag. I assume pretty high. Shane had been wanting to take care of those walkers for a bit. It was the right call to kill the walkers. It's better to have an upset Hershel than be against a herd of walkers unarmed. Dale was butthurt about him having sex with Andrea and was hoping that the guns would make Shane blow up and strengthen his campaign against him.

#14 Necrophile213, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  15. Rapscallion

The barn was secure. It was Shane who broke the walkers out.

Yes, the walkers had to be dealt with, but Rick hoped he could talk Hershel into accepting that. The group were guests on his farm, and Rick was trying to get them to stay.

16. Necrophile213

No, the barn was not secure. Anything could have happened. That door could have easily been busted down had enough of them pressed against it long enough. It was a very old barn. Not to mention how much trouble Rick was having wih carrying that Walker to the barn. I'm assuming that they were about to have to open the doors to get those two walkers in. Since Hershel still saw them as people that were sick I can't see him climbing the stairs with them and just dropping them in there from the balcony like they did with the chickens. Can you tell me that would have still been secure?

Hershel was never going to budge on allowing the walkers in that barn to be dealt with. That was obvious. Rick was given ample time to be able to convince him otherwise and Shane saw that attempts proved to be an effort in futility. Once Shane saw Rick carrying those walkers he snapped and did what needed to be done.