Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

East Enders was more interesting

Discussion in 'Episode 314 - Prey' started by Hank, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Hank

Hank Member

Hey, Bassman. When I say the show has lost its way, I’m not talking about what I “imagined personally”. I don’t imagine what a series content might be in the sense of pre-determining what I think it should be about; I leave it up to the show to take me on a journey. I’m talking about the dramatic momentum of the show, the elements of the telling of a story, the interest generated.

For example, I would say there is much more dramatic interest to the viewer, especially to the long term fan of the show, in exploring Rick’s mental condition and how it affects his relationships within his group.

Or exploring survival issues for Rick’s group, i.e. clean water, food, a sense of purpose. Along with the matter of how they could prepare to defend the prison.

Or exploring where Carl is at, how he is coping as a young boy with all he has been through, and maybe how he perceives the world around him.

Or what about the Daryl and Carol story that has all but evaporated? There are various points of potential for dramatic exploration of what Daryl is going through now.

Or what about Beth? We were drawn into her struggles last season only to have her story fade so far into the background this season she almost might as well not be there. There is a lot of story laying dormant or discarded there too.

But while these kinds of things are simply ignored for whole episodes or whole seasons, we get instead this ongoing sub-plot about Andrea and the Governor, a sub-plot which essentially consists of covering the same ground over and over.

That’s what I mean when I say the show has lost its way.

And I don’t think I need to have read the comics to be able to recognise the problems with the latter half of series 3 of the TV show. It’s matter of taking the TV show on its own terms. Just as I would for a movie based on a book; I wouldn’t need to have read the book to be able to analyse the movie as a movie.

And someone might say to me, ‘Oh yeah the movie is a bit tedious, but it sticks pretty close to the book’; but that does not in itself make it a very good movie. And I’m not talking about ‘slow’; I’m talking about ’tedious’. Many a slow movie is gripping because it is great drama. But books and movies and very different mediums, and not every element necessarily always translates well across from one to the other. Same with the TV show and the comics. I’m not evaluating the comics; I’m evaluating the TV show; and I don’t have to have read the comics to evaluate the TV show as a TV show.

And I take your point that “some things should be overlooked for the best”, and I agree. Not everything has to be 100% all the time to be able to still enjoy a show for all its strengths. And I have that same attitude, and have done so numerous times with The Walking Dead, letting things go as just par for the course and still enjoying the show. But when the show loses its way, then that’s a more serious problem. With episode after episode the series just seems to sink further into the quagmire and watching it becomes a repeated exercise in enduring tedium. This is more difficult to overlook because the whole show becomes difficult for me to enjoy.

That’s what I’m finding anyway. I have to stick with it because I’ve come too far not to find out what happens. But it’s become hard work.

Hi melthebell. You say -
    “if you carried on the main subplot itd die quicker, surely?
    surely itd just be as boring watching rick and that pottering round the prison? the point with these episodes is theyre building things up in the oppositions camp before it all kicks off between the two groups big time.
    its a long term story, theres various groups of survivors, ricks group is the main focus but it has to focus and build these other groups up otherwise thered be no series”

If all there is to play with as a writer is ‘rick and that pottering round the prison?’ then the writing team should go train to be plumbers or something else they might be better at other than writing. I think there’s plenty of meat in the main story to fill the season out and beyond; it just seems the characters in Rick’s group, including Rick himself, have all become secondary or even faded completely out of focus. And I feel even the tensions between the prison and Woodbury groups could be done better with more practical detail and more drama revolving around Rick’s group rather than Woodbury. That’s my big problem with the latter part of series 3; the same sub-plot ground being covered over and over instead of exploring the real dramatic potential for the main characters.

I take your point about build-up, but I would say that ground-work was laid very thoroughly in the first half of series 3. The tension built, then evaporated. And I’m not sure we need to veer into the internal workings of other groups in order to follow the story of Rick and the people with him, certainly not to the extent that the main characters become guest appearances. That kind of distortion of focus results in the story stagnating, as has happened.

And Walker Bait – you say “If they had charged headlong into a war I would have thought that was sloppy writing.” I agree that could well have been the case. But firstly, I’m not saying that’s what the writers should have done; and secondly, suppose that was in fact what happened, actually the twists and turns and fall out from that might perhaps have resulted in far more interesting a story than the one we have been served up.

2. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

Again, we diverge. I think the story that had been served up has been the most intriguing of the three seasons thus far. The buildup since returning from the midseason break has been excellent and I'm terribly interested in seeing the resolution over the next two episodes.

As much as you protest it, it sounds like you are bemoaning the discrepancies between the actual show and the ideal show you've crafted between your ears.

Maybe this show just isn't for you anymore.

#22 Walker Bait, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Hank

Hank Member

Hey Walker Bait. Again, I haven't crafted a show between my ears. I'm bemoaning the show's failure to exploit the dramatic potential of the main story and its characters, and its repetitiveness concerning the ground-work of the tension between the groups and the sub-plots of Andrea and Milton.

If the awful writing continues I won't mind at all if the show doesn't come back.

4. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying. I just don't believe you.

The show will come back. The ratings are through the roof.

5. RicksRightHand

Why join a forum just to complain about the show? Personally I think the pacing this season has been perfectly fine... also, EastEnders? I don't think even The Walking Dead can outdo that show on death and dispare.

People in my household watch that show every night and I can honestly say I'd rather watch a "slow" episode of The Walking Dead than a "good" episode of EastEnders.

I love Rick as much as the next guy, heck probably more... and admittedly I find the lesser interesting episodes for me personally are the ones with little or no scenes involving Rick. It does't make the show bad or slow or tiresome. Every episode serves a purpose, if there isn't something huge happening in one episode it's because that episode is setting up for something huge in the next episode... which personally I find more satisfying.

Sure it was an Andrea and Governor heavy episode but it was far from dull or boring.

6. Hank

Hank Member

Hi RicksRightHand.

"Why join a forum just to complain about the show?" Why not join a forum just to complain about the show? What's wrong with a little critical analysis? I'm fed up with how the writers are making a hash of it. I complain about it. Mystery?

And what about when nothing huge happens for 3 episodes?

7. RicksRightHand

I just mean it's not the first thing I would do if I wasn't enjoying a show... I'd probably just stop watching the show. In fact, in the past I've done exactly that. You're basically entering a place of discussion where the majority of the community are guaranteed to disagree with you. Just seems like a bit of a pointless exercise to me.

When has there been 3 episodes without anything huge happening? When I say huge I don't mean a gun battle or a massive zombie slaughter. There's been plenty happening this season. I think Episode 11: "I Ain't no Judas" has been the only episode since the mid-season break that I had mixed feelings about, every other episode has been pretty crucial to the development of the story in my opinion.

8. melthebell

melthebell Well-Known Member

theres 2 episodes left, its going to be huge :p

thing is...........all the things youve listed, who says they ARENT going to be in the show in the future? you do seem to have the idea of the perfect show like it or not and spitting the dummy out because its not following YOUR ideal way
    as i said before its a long running show, theres a lot of strands and subplots to explore, it takes time dont rush it, who wants to watch 4 episodes back to back of ricks hallucinations? who says we arent going to go back to that strand in the very near future.
    things are spread out cos its a tv series not a film

9. Hank

Hank Member

I'm not sure its pointless to raise issues. But hey, if you don't see any point to my raising these points, then that's your view. No prob. You have your opinions, and welcome to them. But let's not decry a little airing of views. After all, isn't it boring if everyone just agrees with you about everything?

Regarding 3 episodes without anything huge happening - can you pinpoint a single thing in the last 3 episodes that has resulted in a substantial change in the story of Rick's group?

10. melthebell

tyreese, milton and andrea may join them? or having second thoughs about that dastardly le gov anyways

11. Hank

Hank Member

Hey melthebell. Well, as I've said, I'm not talking about some perfect idea of the show. I'm talking about a show that has veered off course. How many times should we re-visit the same nuances of the Guv/Andrea/Milton sub-plots to the neglect of the Rick/Carl main plots or even sub-plots with Daryl, Hershel, Michone, Maggie, Glenn, Merle or Beth? That's what I'm saying.

12. Hank

Hank Member

Not only is East Enders boring, but The Walking Dead has become even more boring than East Enders. Crazy world.

13. melthebell

but the shows not about just rick and carl, although its them and their group that is the main focus, like ive said now it can go on a long time BUT it has to spread its wings and focus on others aswell, have other subplots.
    itll only last two minutes if it just focussed on a small handful of survivors.
    id rather it was varied and will be, the next two episodes are gonna be action packed then we'll see how series 4 goes

14. RicksRightHand

Episode 12: Clear - Rick sees just how isolated he could become if he continues to shut off the group and chase ghosts around the prison. Rick, Carl and Michonne all create a bond and the group recover some much needed munitions for the upcoming fight with Woodbury.

Episode 13: Arrow on the Doorpost - Rick finally meets the Governor and the politics of the new world are unearthed, parties from both the Prison group and Woodbury semi-bond with each other and realise they're both in a situation they don't particularly want to be a part of. Andrea begins to significantly doubt the Governor and turns her attention now to making sure her old group are safe. Rick tells the group they're going to war. (That's a pretty big change in the group dynamic)

Episode 14: Prey - Andrea decides to leave Woodbury to warn Rick and possibly rejoin her old group. She also plants the seed of doubt in Tyrese's head regarding the Governor and Woodbury which could potentially see him leave the town to return to the Prison to aid Rick and the group. Milton also scuppers the Governors plans for the ambush on Rick's group at the next negotiation.
    An unsettled and divided Woodbury is just as much to the prison groups advantage as obtaining a new ally.

Also, just to mention... Gale Anne Hurd highlighted in an interview recently the importance of leadership on the show. One of the reasons we skip between Woodbury and the Prison so often this season is to contrast the theme of leadership that's been with the show since Season 1.

Season 1, leadership between Rick and Shane.
    Season 2, leadership between Rick, Shane and Hershel.
    Season 3, it's now leadership between Rick and the Governor.

This is where I lose all interest in having a discussion about this topic with you. I mean that is just madness! :zombies_lol:

#34 RicksRightHand, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  15. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

For a show that that isn't that interesting it has really high ratings and a very active forum.

16. Hank

Hank Member

I'm sorry, melthebell, but are you suggesting these constitute something huge happening? But not only have these things not resulted in any substantial change in the story of Rick's group over the last 3 episodes, but the ideas are re-hashed from earlier in the series. We already knew as soon as Tyreese's group appeared that they might possibly help Rick's group; now we have progressed to the position of... knowing that they might possibly help Rick's group. Seeing the Governor manipulating Tyreese and Sasha etc is a basic re-hash of the whole Governor-Andrea sub-plot.

17. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Perfectly said.

18. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

Another thing, this show is the first of it's kind. A zombie show has never been done before. People are used to watching an hour and a half movie and going home. I used to hardly watch TV until I heard about this show. If you find a show like East Enders more interesting then why are you here? East Enders and the walking dead are polar opposites. If you would have compared the walking dead to Super Natural then I could understand your argument a little better. This thread is stupid.

19. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

*I* watched Eastenders this week and it wasn't that good.

20. RicksRightHand

Seeing as you brought it up, that's the show I used to watch but decided I wasn't enjoying it anymore. So I just stopped watching it. Simple as that.