Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Black Ops 2 Multiplayer Explaining Lag Compensation and Networking

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: Black Ops 2' started by TheUser, Jan 19, 2013.

1. TheUser

TheUser Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes you're right, I must have divided 8 by 6 instead of 6 by 8.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DJ piNoy

DJ piNoy Active Member

Nice thread TheUser +rep

3. TheApeVine

TheApeVine Active Member

Excellent article, can't believe I've only just read it ;)

+rep a gogo.

4. Randommashmello

Randommashmello Well-Known Member

So how can i use lag comp to my advantage? because its seems everyone i play obviously knows.

5. TheUser

TheUser Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You can't.

6. Zombie PhanTom

Good read. I posted this before but didn't get any helpful responses. Since some of you seem to understand networking, could you give me any idea why my friend gets kicked off of XBL EVERY time he plays zombies and only when he plays zombies. He gets disconnected and gets the message from BO2: Sign in status has changed. He's tried wired, wireless, opening ports, getting a new disc, and it happens even on solo. Sorry to high jack, I just can't find a solution anywhere...

7. musky

musky Active Member

if it did not give advantage to people with less internet speed,people with there 2$ internet could not compete.

8. 2_Wycked

2_Wycked Member

9. TheUser

TheUser Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah they could. Did you catch how little bandwidth is needed to play Call of Duty?

10. XRatedHamster

XRatedHamster Member

Remember, there is also the hardware to take into account as well. Latency is not specific to just the internet, but also even in the xbox itself. It does not have a massive processor and given the amount of memory taken up by game add ons, it really helps to keep the minimum amount of info on the hard drive, maybe turn off theatre and I have no idea how much live streaming direct from the xbox effects the on screen lag. And for everyone that has the xbox connected to an HD tv, like a plasma...there is lag there also (there was no lag on the old CRT tv's).

11. BOOSTkv87

BOOSTkv87 Member

Great thread and a good read for anyone complaining about lag issues. I for one have learned to adapt my play style so I almost guess where the player is going to be in certain situations. Almost like letting the game "catch up" then I start shooting. I also use longer range kill weapons like LMGs and ARs now to help with this. Thank you for this thread!

I also think people are getting more lag with this game compared to let's say, cod4 or mw2 because a lot more people are online every night playing BO2 compared to those past games.

One question: I get host a lot, which is a good thing for me, but whenever I am host it seems like everyone else in the room is very laggy, including any friends I may be playing with. Do you know why that is?

12. theMLDfeature

theMLDfeature Member

the day there is no such thing as lag compensation we will be able to feel the kind of wonder and amazement that i imagine was felt when the first colour TV broadcast occurred.

13. Deviant Khan

Deviant Khan Member

I know they made adjustments for localizing the server matching so you end up playing more often with US players if you're a US player. That helps with some of the dramatic latency disparities.

I wonder why they aren't able to make a similar assessment of a player's link individually. If they've got a crappy link then pair them up with other players with crappy links.

14. BabyWhaleNutz

BabyWhaleNutz New Member

wow... very very very interesting read. I think i've learned so much about Lag compensation that I'll just shut my stupid mouth about it. But, I will say. in a perfect world the compensation is xxx milliseconds, but we don't live in a perfect world... and its drawn out to much longer time periods when in game.
    thanks for the post!

15. Sire

Sire New Member

Interesting
    So when I am running around a corner and knife someone in the neck, then wind up dead on the floor and in their kill cam I ran through them, knifed 3 feet behind them and they turned and knifed me, that's lag comp?

Every time I see a head start to come around a corner and I drop a load of FMG into it as they round the corner and I wind up dead, and in the kill cam I see that I never fired more than one bullet or two, and they somehow worked their way around to flank me while they were firing on me the whole time while I just kneeled there like an idiot who didn't notice them in time, that's lag comp?

When I come up to a corner and STOP before sticking my head around it while ADS to clear before proceeding, I get a load of SMG on the face from out of nowhere, and on the kill cam I never stopped at the corner but actually went around it for a second, that's lag comp?

When I can get the jump on you and put 4 rounds of Remington into your chest from point blank as I dance around you, you don't die but quick scope me once, that's lag comp?

I need a new Xbox

16. TheUser

TheUser Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Lag, lag, lag and lag. (Yes, it's LAG, LAG LAG LAG AND LAG MMKAY?)

Please don't try shoving these random scenarios in my face good sir.

17. OG1-KENOBI

OG1-KENOBI Well-Known Member

Thank fk you explained it before I had to. Thats the crutch of the issue right there making the whole thing a never ending circle IMO.

18. DarkAlpha171

DarkAlpha171 New Member

so are you saying that even if your lagging it doesn"t matter because you would be doing as good as you were doing if you weren't lagging because the system is built to make sure you get your kill? also when im doing good in a game when lag comes along i start doing terrible because im skipping across the screen and so is the enemy and it looks as if the game is going through some kind of earthquake explain that.

19. Balisong

Balisong New Member

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered in here.

Is there an optimum Bandwidth for the game?

I read the opening explanation, which was informative, but I'm a bit thick and didn't fully get it.

20. TheUser

TheUser Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No, bandwidth doesn't matter that much. Most households have at least 1-3 mbps bandwidth, while Call of Duty multiplayer will use about 1-40 kbps.