Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Father Gabriel--snitch/narc/coward!!!

Discussion in 'Episode 514 - Spend' started by Dreet, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RatFeeder

RatFeeder Member

they are not heroes, thy are flawed survivors. What do you not get about that? That is why we are so invested in them, their struggles, trying to balance surviving and remaining human when presented with choices we can't imagine having to make. Nobody perfect exists in this world, they are all dead. Your point about Daryl is f'kn stupid as hell. If you were in his position, alone, the choice is survive with them or get killed by them. You on your high horse would have just stood there and said "no, I'm perfect? Kill me"? Doubt it. People are not "excusing" anything Rick does. What Gabriel did to Ricks group is cowardly, no matter what straws you grasp at to try and put Ricks group down

to say Gabriel simply kept food away from people is so stupid, I can't even comprehend how you can say that.

2. Callysta

Callysta Active Member

lol, Do you really watch the show?

Rick didn't leave children to die. Neither did his group. So that's nonsense.

The hermit you're talking about was screaming and yelling..attracting more walkers. Then he tried to open the door and run out of the cabin. He would have gotten everyone killed.

Daryl didn't know the group he "joined" were rapists and killers.

Anything else i can clear up for you?

3. Lt. Col. Cookie

I go to a Catholic school and the day after I watched the episode we had mass. The priest was talking and I swear all I could think about was Gabriel :zombies_confused:

4. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

they are not heroes, thy are flawed survivors. What do you not get about that? That is why we are so invested in them, their struggles, trying to balance surviving and remaining human when presented with choices we can't imagine having to make. Nobody perfect exists in this world

Yep, what Rat said. Right on the money. Of all the groups we have seen on the show, Rick's group has tried the hardest to do the 'right' thing. At the same time, as the seasons have progressed they have grown harder and more distrustful. Looking back at Rick's attitude in the first season - that people could continue with a semblance of humanity even in this horrible new world. How innocent and unrealistic that was. He has been taught the hard way that was a fantasy.

It is the reason I watch the show. Not only to see how much of humanity this group can hold on to. But to wonder about myself. What would I do, faced with one impossible choice after another? I believe a whole lot of people would agree with this sentiment.

5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

What show are you watching? You're describing events very dishonestly. The hermit was in the process of running out of the building, which would have immediately caused his own death, and seconds later the death of everyone else. They did what they had to to prevent that. If you aren't willing to take those kinds of quick actions to stay alive, then in the ZA you'd be one of the ones trying to bite us. You are trying to apply armchair philosophy to a situation were people are forced to take drastic actions in order to live. Do that, and you'll be dead long before Rick wakes up in his coma.

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

[MENTION=55112]TheTunnelRunner[/MENTION] You might want to try waiting until the show starts before you start drinking...I've found that I absorb a lot more of the episodes that way because the alcohol hasn't had a chance to really circulate yet. Who cares if you're drunk during The Talking Dead.

#166 Jen7, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  7. Lady Nightshade

Lady Nightshade Well-Known Member

Father Gabriel sucks period. I actually thought he was a decent guy until this last episode now I'm completely disgusted with him. Traitor.

8. Father Gabriel

Father Gabriel New Member

Come on people, don't be so hard... It was all a misunderstanding caused by emotional confusion.

9. TheTunnelRunner

If the excuse for Rick's group is "flawed survivors", that makes demonizing someone like Gabriel (who didn't even have a weapon) even more bizarre. The walkers at the church would have seen the people let in, and killed everyone inside. If one person had been bit, they likely would have panicked like they did outside and died as a result. Gabriel ultimately gave them a better chance to survive. So yes, after that point, he was just keeping food from them. As we see when Bob got bit, some got away from that situation to a place where there was plenty of food, but later turned. Likely, many of his parishioners are still alive out there.

What's more, while Gabriel's flock was still on his mind, those at the prison were quickly forgotten by this group. Only half even remembered that many (all unarmed) drove down the road in a bus and would need eventual help. That says a great deal about each persons conscience. Let's hope Luke and Molly from the prison realized no one was coming back for them, and managed to find a home. - And no, that shoe at the tracks didn't belong to either of them.

Daryl isn't naive about people like Joe's group. Most of his character's development is based on his experiences with people like that. He knew exactly what they were.
    With the Hermit, they picked the aggressive (and most cowardly) option - to murder. It wasn't the only thing they could have done.

Gabriel is right about Rick's group. While we don't know what they told him, they have done terrible things both aggressive and cowardly. Rick even said to Daryl and Carol that they would "TAKE" Alexandria - The group that saved them in the first place! Remember? No transportation, no food, no water, no supplies or weapons other than what was on their backs... those "survivors"? - The other two had no objection to it. That's pretty damn sinister! Telling Deanna is Gabriel's way of trying to warn the more vulnerable. Gabriel is a hypocrite, but much less so than Rick's group. Hopefully by the end of Season 6, things will be become more obvious.

10. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

From Gabriel's description of the slaughter of his congregation, he was living alone in the church. His congregation ran to the church for protection from walkers, but he was too scared to let them in and they all were bitten and turned.

There's no excusing Maggie for forgetting Beth. Once the prison fell and her father was dead, all she could think of was Glenn.

Luke and Molly fled the prison and were torn apart by walkers. Daryl and Beth were on their trail, but got there too late. The child's shoe and Beth breaking down in tears, imply the children are dead.

Daryl was slipping into his old ways before he met Joe and the marauders. Joe saw the potential in Daryl and tried to take him under his wing, but as Daryl later told Rick, he had seen enough of the marauders to know he didn't want to join them and he was going to leave at the first opportunity.

Rick tried to reason with the Hermit, but he was too crazy or scared to listen. All his shouting was riling up the walkers outside his cabin. It was Michonne who killed the Hermit, and she was technically not a member of the group.

Gabriel is a coward, plain and simple. He believed Alexandria was a safe place and decided to betray the people who had protected him on the road. Rick didn't go into details about "taking" Alexandria, but Daryl and Carol were clearly not comfortable with the idea. Taking the guns was more about defending themselves from walkers than it was about taking Alexandria.

#170 Rapscallion, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  11. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

My lord. The Father Gabriel hate in this thread is intolerable. May you all find jesus.

12. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Father Gabriel hates himself. He cannot forgive himself, or block out the screams, from when he cowered inside the church as his entire congregation was eaten alive, while he cowered behind locked doors

So, what do people do when they can't stand to bear a guilt like Father Gabriel's but can't bring themselves to kill themselves, as Father Gabriel could not? They blame other people for being bad too. In truth, he knows nothing about what horrible things Rick's group may or may not have done. He just saw the massacre of Gareth and crew (who, in my book,notwithstanding the overkill, had to be killed for them to survive). They never told him about Terminus or he might have seen the "horrible things they've done" in a different light. I really don't recall him seeing them doing anything else horrible to justify his betrayal of them to Deanna. I think he was just driven by intolerable guilt after he tried, but failed, to end his own life.

Father Gabriel's "ratting out" Rick's group was destructive -- a temporary ease of his unbearable psychic pain, but with a high price to be paid by other people( because a house divided... etc). He doesn't really know anything at all about Rick's group which -- as he has conveniently forgotten -- includes saving his starving behind. His ratting Rick & crew out is not going to do a darn thing to aid in the survival of the ASZ citizens.

13. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Telling Deanna about Rick's sinful ways may not have helped ASZ, but it did clear Gabriel's conscience. He's been through some awful things, and seen Rick do some even worse things. I truly think he was coming to Deanna as more of a confidant than a snitch. He needed someone who could understand how he felt. He knows Deanna likely hasn't brutalised anyone like Rick has, and on some level just needed to get it all off his chest.

I can have some sympathy for that. I mean, Gabriel definitely is a coward, but he's also clearly taking steps to change this. He feels guilty over all the death he's caused and the burden he's become on everybody else. That walker he killed in 516 is going to be the beginning of a redemption, I think. Now that he's opened up to Deanna, made peace with Maggie and Sasha, and begun his ascension to true badass, I see no reason to dislike him. He's on a good path.

14. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

He is a good, Christian man who reads the bible twice a day, bathes in Holy Water and wakes up early every morning to churn his butter like a colonial woman.

His emotions like really get to me as well, especially when he was crying after he killed that walker in 516. That was such an emotional moment that was really well acted and didn't sound like a seal getting f***ed or anything.

15. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

We all know who Jesus really is, she'll be back, she'll be back >rolls eyes<
    Ok, so that's 1 point for Father Gabe, no ugly cry face/drippy snot nose/banshee wailing >stops to think of Daryl/Rick/Maggie/Beth and their cry scenes<

16. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

What I don't get is how in the **** could Gabriel come across Bob's left over foot and not see the bad people that Gareth and the hunters were? He would've been next on their menu had he given in and listened to Gareth at the church. So what was so bad about Rick and his group killing these killers?

17. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear Member

Ive never killed a Priest but Gabe is asking for it somebody gonna kill him eventualy

18. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

What have you killed?

19. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear Member

Im ex us army sf I fought in Afghan and Iraq wars
    Probably every type of person u can think of and more but never a priest but for Gabe their is always a first time

20. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Are you the best Sniper in the US army with over 300 confirmed kills?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.