Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Flashbacks.. Like or Dislike?

Discussion in 'Episode 404 - Buried' started by JEA13, May 7, 2018.

1. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

There were some comments from people last episode about flashbacks. It appears to me the show might be going to use them as a major storytelling technique thru the whole season (or more). TWD had many episodes where a scene started , it was somewhat confusing what was going on and then the episode jumped back to explain how the situation arose. FTD has taken this to a whole new level.
    I wonder what others are thinking as timelines jump around . Like, dislike or neutral? One thing : it does remove some dramatic tension from the past scenes, as we know if certain people are at risk or not.

2. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Thinking more about my own question.. I wonder if they will use the reporter as a means to question anyone new that is met which can trigger flashback scenes being shown.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the flashbacks from last night's episode, and while they give reporter Althea (Al) something to do, they're also irritating because Gimple wore that gimmick out on TWD.

Its also clear that season 4 is going to be filled with time jumps, with the characters stringing Althea (and the audience) along until we get to the midseason or season finale, where Althea's questions will finally be answered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I should learn their names instead of keep calling them the cowboy and reporter. I remembered the names of characters right off in TWD not so in this show. Dont know what if anything that means.

5. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

To be honest they're probably the only thing I'm not liking about this season so far. Not that they're bad or anything, I just like linear storytelling. Flashbacks, intersecting timelines and stuff can be cool sometimes, but I just want to follow this group in a story that has a distinct beginning, middle and end.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I was just saying the same thing to Alyssa and Pat. It’s the only thing I’m not really digging. But we know it’s gonna continue if Naomi/Laura really didn’t make it out of the stadium.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I hated the way they used flashbacks on TWD, but so far I'm okay with their use on Fear.

The main reason I'm giving them a bit more benefit of the doubt is that these scenes actually do mean something for the story. It felt like TWD was just throwing in filler. But what keeps me going with Fear is that there is some mystery involved. When you see some of the flashback characters like the guy Strand was with, or Naomi, you're not sure if they're going to make it out of a scene alive since they're not in the current timeline.

Also, I think the whole mystery of Madison/Naomi being alive or dead is working so far. On top of that there is the question of how things went down at the stadium. The way Fear is using flashbacks reminds me a bit of the first season of Showtime's "The Affair" where important information/mystery/doubt were in these scenes.

It could get old if they carry it on too long, but for me right now I'm enjoying it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Stealth

I'm guessing they'll wrap this up by the midseason finale. If Madison is really dead, it's a good way of getting the audience to accept it more. Also people are still getting scenes of Nick at this stage.

Perhaps the first half is more of a transition from what Fear was to what it's going to become.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see what you are saying. Like Lost. But it's harder for me to keep straight where we are from time to time with this. I feel like I am having to work to keep up with what's going on at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

I don’t mind the flashbacks but last night we had three stories told through flashbacks plus the current storyline so it was a little much but at least they were all connected. Truthfully I’d like it more if Morgan/John weren’t involved, not sure how they tie in with the rest of the group right now. I get Althea’s involvement and I like how we will be using her to learn of people’s past. I’m guessing everyone at the stadium is dead (Cole, Vivian, Douglas, etc) but hopefully Madison and Naomi are just captured somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Enough with the flashbacks already. I don't mind them but to do more then one episode and not even the whole episode. Going back and forth? Maybe some like it but it annoyed me. It is obvious they are going to draw out the conclusions. Some of the comments from should have even had the "DUN DUN DUN!" music to accompany it.

And im sorry, but to have NO mention of Madison? Her kid died. His sister, lover and friend who have been with him since beginning are there. No one mentions her? So are we to believe she's dead? I was amused with episode, and liked it....but, it also left me pretty annoyed. And no resolution next week either.

12. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

John ties in because the girl he was looking for was Naomi

13. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I bet that kitten has frequent flashbacks of being snuck up on from behind.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. GeorgeWest

GeorgeWest New Member

Flashbacks as Fear is doing them are very good storytelling. It greatly increases the mystery of Fear, IMO. These last two episodes were very good.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

Valid, but not sure how it’s gonna stay connected in the present. If Naomi is dead, then what is John (and Morgan) gonna do by sticking around in the middle of no where as the rest drive off? Maybe he and Morgan are going to venture to the stadium to see for themselves? I hope that’s what they do. But who knows.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Feels like they are using these jumps and flashbacks as a setup for some big payoff down the road. Flashbacks can be a fun way to tell a story, basically give you the answers and fill in the blanks as you go. But that usually only works in the short term rarely used over such a long stretch of story. It gets old, quick.

So far it's working, but they need to get to the point before people just grow tired of it. As my Wife always says when someone takes to long to get to the point (I hear this a lot), "land your plane".

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this last episode.

Althea's recordings are a useful way to learn about new characters and it makes sense to illustrate those stories.

If Laura/Naomi shows up, I will want to see what happened to her.

As long as there is a narrative purpose to flashbacks, I'm fine with them. Doing it to be artsy, though, is tiresome. FTWD seems to know the difference.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I agree.....if the stories Al gets actually leads somewhere. I think Al wanting to hear their stories is an interesting way to find out what happened to these people since the dam. But as of now, we haven't really heard much about it. We got one day of info that took place after the Vultures showed up. Hopefully it will go somewhere and everything will make sense

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

To add to the idea of flashbacks. The fact that Naomi/Laura is getting the flashback treatment in the next episode, I believe that is a sign she and Madison are still alive.

It sort of makes no sense to say she's dead, then give her back story. From an emotional connection standpoint it seems well, backwards.

"Here's a dead woman.....now let's explore her character".

Of course the back story could be more about John and his connection to her, so more of a John backstory. But still. I think the whole "twist" will be that these people are still alive and maybe even the diamond is still safe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Stealth

I don't mind the jumping around as much. It bothers me more when we get a full bottle episode of a character or small group of characters like they've overused on TWD. I didn't mind something like the Governor;s bottle episodes because it was needed to catch you up, but when you have one week Hilltop, next week Sanctuary and then Kingdom etc (all in the same timeline) it takes you out of the whole story.

Next week's Fear seems like a full episode of just John's story. I'm not excited about that at this stage since they're building up the tension and momentum toward conflict. Hopefully it's just part the show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1