Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Flying South and the Big Herd

Discussion in 'Episode 916 - The Storm' started by Woodstock, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Still want to watch one more time before discussing the episode but there is one thing that popped into my head earlier regarding the Whisperer's secret weapon aka "the massive herd" (three things actually).

1. First of all, we discover that the Whisperers migrate during the wintertime (which I actually only discovered thanks to the forum cause I totally missed when they said it on the show, in fact the final scene in the green habitat really had me confused). So if they go south, what does that mean for their "secret weapon"? It must have taken them ages to gather all those walkers and Alpha mentioned that their people were steering them like cattle (therefore keeping them in one place and eventually moving them elsewhere to attack) but I can't imagine them bringing that massive herd with them down south and then back "home".

2. If they love living out in the open so much and they have an alternative to their winter habitat why not just stay there all the time? (am I looking too much into this?)

3. As I was thinking about this dilemma I thought about something else: last season ended with our guys making a big deal about the massive herd in the distance "the biggest herd ever seen" as they put it (although I remember that I could hardly make it out on my TV, even made a thread about it here on the forum). I'm guessing that could possibly have been their very first glimpse of the Whisperer's "secret weapon", although they (and we) didn't know it at the time

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Alexandrians lucked out because they found a place designed to hold up in during a national emergency. But for almost everyone living in the northeast, I would think they would move to easier weather locations if they could.

Good weather is a big reason California is so populous even in our easy real life. In FTWD, I had total disbelief that anyone would live in a desert in an apocalypse. Housing prices weren't keeping them there anymore, desperate for something as basic as water.

Anyway, good questions.

In a severe winter, why not leave the herd in place and let it freeze solid. Even if the herd thawed before you got back and bunches wandered off, how big a herd do you need to control to destroy enemies? They could consolidate a new big herd each year.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lindigo

P.S. I love that "Woodstock" makes the thread about flying south. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah migrating south and then coming back to the exact same spot in the spring is odd, especially if they are nomads. That doesn't sound completely nomadic.

The herd wouldn't be the same because of the big huge time skip this season. :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I posted a thread with a link for an interview that Angela did regarding season 9 finale and hints about season 10. It sounds as though we may get a bit of insight into the workings of how this group moves around. I would venture a guess that the horde is divided into three or four sections with the same number (3-4) groups of whisperers in charge of leading their designated walker army. Perhaps they leave on staggered days in an effort to not "congest" their migration. It certainly gives us all something to speculate and dissect over the long hot summer......and speaking of long hot summers

I have no idea where you live but speaking as someone who lives in Texas the summers in the south can be HORRENDOUS. It is common to reach the upper 90s (Fahrenheit)/35ish (Celsius) and into the triple digits (Fahrenheit) on a day to day basis during the months of July through September. The humidity is god-awful throughout the south and especially in the deep south (i.e. Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi) along with Florida, etc. The humidity at times can bring the heat index up to a balmy 115 F/46C degrees. No way I would want to wear a walker face nor live outside among the the rotting flesh bathed in humidity infused aroma, the mosquitoes, cicadas and frogs (the frogs is personal phobia of mine, I am sure most would not mind the nasty creatures). According to our friend the internet the average daytime temp in Virginia during the months of June, July and August is in the mid to upper 80s. Yep, I would reverse migrate back to Virginia for the summer/fall.

I think that horde at the end of season 8 finale was just a tease. With the 8 year time jump the horde that the whisperers have wrangled is a different one (at least that is my take on it, I certainly do not have insider information ;))

• Like Like x 3
  6. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

When Alpha was showing Daryl the herd, they appeared to be down in a canyon of some sort. Perhaps they found the same valley that was holding the massive herd that Rick and co. dispersed years ago. With a few barriers to keep them in place the Whisperers themselves could move South with the expectation of finding the herd in the same spot when they returned.

Why they would return to the same spot is because Alpha still has a bone to pick with the communities that she feels stole her daughter.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Angela Kang stated on TTD that the herd went south with them. One major reason they would come back north after winter is because they would be walking around in the southern sun all day with big ole masks on their face. Its hard enough just getting to the grocery store back to your car down there in summer, without overheating :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Woops, regarding point number 3, I had totally forgotten about the time jump.

As for the migration back north, wasn’t considering how uncomfortable the extreme heat and humidity would be in the summer. Still, there must be places that are in between the two extremes.

I’m going to have to check out the Angela Kang interview, I keep forgetting that a lot of tidbits are discussed on TTD.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

If they’re dumb enough to wear a stinky walker mask they deserve to overheat! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Although I'm sure the south is hot, Summers in the area around VA aren't much better. I live 2 hours north of there and have employed several people from FL over the years and they all bitched about the humidity up here. I'm sure summer is a little hotter and maybe lasts a little longer down south but it's not like they are taking a "break from the heat" in VA. Also, I've lived in this area for 30+ years and have never seen a blizzard where you had to walk from building to building following a rope guide like they are in the North Pole. Not trying to file a complaint or anything but it appears that TPTB don't know a whole lot about middling east coast states weather patterns

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. PepperAnn

Ohhhhhh move down south. The heat is sadistic.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I made myself quite a few posts about points 1 & 2. The simple explanation to all of this is that the Whisperers make no ****ing sense. We all just have to hold on and wait for a more realistic story arc, or else we might enter Z Nation absurdity levels, but played without the tongue in cheek humor.

It would make just as much sense if the zombies started to wear human masks in order to blend in with our kind, with high hopes of getting an athletic scholarship.

#12 NakedCity, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

I live in Florida for a long time and there is a HUGE difference between coastal Florida and inland Florida. Within 2 miles from the beach it's breezy and nice even in the summer. Ten miles in and it's high humidity, mosquitoes and quite unbearable in the summer. Having said that, I travel a lot and during the summers I would take business trips to Charleston SC, Raleigh NC, Chicago IL, NYC, Boston MA, Austin TX etc etc etc and every stop I felt hotter and more suffocating then home. Even Orlando is very hot when compared to Fort Lauderdale near the beach.

14. PepperAnn

I live in Austin and would take it over Houston any day. LOL

15. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

Wearing a skin mask makes no sense when you can achieve the same effect by wearing a skin cap or a skin vest. They haven't explained why a mask is necessary to fool the walkers as their own kind.

Unless it is not to fool the walkers, but to fool the other humans. They have the element of surprise and it is creepier and scarier. So now I am becoming more convinced the masks are for other humans, even more so then the walkers.

I still don't know how they communicate with each other while they are in the herd. Joe has to whisper...

"Kevin, are we turning left or right up ahead?"
    "Joe I don't know, ask Alpha"
    "Where is Alpha?"
    "I saw her this morning on the other side of the herd, no idea where now"
    "ALPHA WHERE ARE YOU WHICH WAY UP AHEAD?"
    "shhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Joe is immediately swallowed by all the walkers since he failed to whisper.

If they don't stay close and whisper they can't communicate effectively unless they use those military hand signals.

#15 Miamicuse, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. PepperAnn

That convo made me laugh. LOL

17. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

They are in constant danger!

Kevin slaps himself on the neck "GOD DAMN MOSQUITOES GET THE F AWAY FROM ME!!!" Kevin is swallowed.

Beta turns around to the walker behind him "HEY WATCH YOURSELF WATCH YOUR DAMN STEP STOP STEPPING ON THE BACK OF MY F'ING SHOES!!!" Beta is swallowed .

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it is. Not claiming it's not. Just saying that it isn't exactly 75 degrees all summer in Virginia either. it's probably 90ish with 100% humidity pretty consistently.

19. PepperAnn

I hear ya. :) The humidity is really the killer most the time.

20. Lindigo

90s without humidity still sucks. Does so. :p We need a volcano to throw up enough ash to encircle the globe and cool us down. Sorry, airlines. I vote for railroads and boats if it's between convenient travel or the heat.

PepperAnn, not much weather difference between Houston and Dallas? I plan to win this sweepstakes house, but I see it has a storm shelter, for one thing. And there is water directly behind the house to keep the mosquitoes happy, so I figure I never go outside. :rolleyes: At least I can paint out the black and orange walls. Umm, pretty much all of the walls.

Beautiful Art Deco sink in the powder room. Pictures 5 and 6.

https://www.hgtv.com/design/hgtv-smart-home/2019/hgtv-smart-home-2019-powder-room-pictures