Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Game of Thrones(SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Killermolls, May 17, 2012.

1. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

A coworker told me that Bran will have a cameo, going back to view events 1000 years in the past, perhaps warging into people to cause chaos just because he is bored as king.

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

We must have the same coworker. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

That has to be a mistake. There's no way D&D are executive producers of this series. Prior to this season airing it was announced that they'd have no part in the prequel. HBO also recently canceled another separate project that D&D had pitched to the network, some Civil War series.

4. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

According to HBO, D&D are not involved:

Who is behind it? Jane Goldman and GoT author George R.R. Martin are the creators of this new series, with Goldman serving as the showrunner. Both will executive produce, alongside SJ Clarkson (The Defenders, Jessica Jones, HBO’s Succession and the upcoming Star Trek installment), who will also be directing the pilot episode; James Farrell; Jim Danger Gray; Vince Gerardis; Daniel Zelman and co-executive producer Chris Symes. Martin was also an executive producer on Game of Thrones and contributed to several episode scripts.

Check back for more details as they unfold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stealth

Good. They're on my boycott list. I'm not excited about another Stark heavy series but I'll watch the prequel. Wish they were focusing on the Targaryens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. southernlady

As do I, they have a very interesting story to tell.

#8126 southernlady, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Though HBO says it’s only moving forward with Goldman’s pitch, Martin has insisted — as recently as the first week of May 2019 — that other Thrones spinoffs are inching forward. In a highly competitive streaming age, and with room on HBO’s streaming platform HBO Now, could additional Thrones-adjacent series come to life?

“We started with four, and eventually went to five,” Martin wrote on his blog. “One of those has been shelved, I am given to understand, and of course Jane’s pilot is now moving to film. But that does not mean the others are dead. Three more Game of Thrones prequels, set in different periods and featuring different characters and storylines, remain in active development. Everything I am told indicates that we could film at least one more pilot, and maybe more than one, in the years to come. We do have an entire world and tens of thousands of years of history to play with, after all. But this is television, so nothing is certain."

https://www.polygon.com/game-of-thr...-prequel-new-show-cast-story-release-date-hbo

8. X-HUNTER

X-HUNTER Well-Known Member

I really hope they do one day. I cannot even do a re-watch just knowing season 8 comes and what it brings.

Jon just being free and making the choice on his own to live north with the wildlings would have sufficed. As it is, the feel of it makes me think him going north is his way of making the best of a bad situation. Not good.

When I read people being satisfied with the ending, I think to myself they cannot be true ASOIF book readers, otherwise, they would never accept such a weak season. To me, everything went awry since the showrunners ran out of book material. Stannis could have never burned his daughter alive since he left his family at Castle Black and went to battle at Winterfell. Mance did not die by an arrow by Jon, rather he went off to spy on the Boltons.

One of the events I would have liked to see was the buildup of the great Northern Conspiracy, Manderly and other northern houses secretly plotting and coming together to undermine the Boltons and Freys. I would have like to see Davos' journey to Skavos, the land of Cannibals in his bid to find Rickon. The fate of all who were seeking Dany's hand like Euron and the horn he had in his possession, young Griff, who claimed to be Targaryen, but many suspected him to be no more than a mummers farce.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Stealth

Basically the writing that we got for the Dorne plot in Season 5, where Jaime and Bronn were running around in those stupid costumes trying to rescue Myrcella, is what they gave us in the final season. I cut them a break on some of the stupid stuff like that because overall the quality was good in other areas.

I'm sure HBO (if they haven't already) will have conversations on how to fix this mess one day with a season to wrap it up, or a movie. They did it for Deadwood 10 years later, and they had a fraction of the GOT audience.

The trouble is though that D&D messed up things so badly it's hard to return. There are 2 scenarios I think that they could take, but both are problematic. Then you have the huge production costs for this series, so I think they'll end up shelving a return.

10. southernlady

I just caught another small blunder - this time in The Long Night. After Dany tries to kill the NK with dragon fire and he picks up the spear to throw it at the dragon you can see his hand is human instead of that of the NK. I don’t know what made that stand out to me this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stealth

I might've mentioned this here before, but the more you think about even the smallest things they did in the final season, very little of it makes sense. Take the point where Dany legitimizes Gendry and then goes on to say how brilliant she was. But by naming Gendry a Baratheon she's legitimized a person who is now a direct threat to her rule. It also could potentially strengthen Jon's claim to the throne after how close the Starks and Baratheons were during Robert's rebellion.

Plus if we're to believe the feeble showrunners, Dany is supposed to be growing more paranoid and evil. So in episode 4 she does something magnanimous like this with Gendry but in episode 5 she goes "burn them all." Makes sense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

I'm still getting more entertainment from youtube responses to season 8 than I got from the season itself. This is probably my favourite so far:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. southernlady

That was good!

14. Stealth

I've watched countless Youtube videos since the finale. It's been like GOT therapy.

It's crazy to think how excited everyone was for the final season at the start of the year, and then they had such a huge backlash for those final few episodes.

In the maelstorm that followed it's easy to forget that Episode 2 was actually good, the one just prior to the battle. It also made the last 4 and even greater letdown.

A lot of the focus has been rightfully on D&D. But some of the recent interviews with Miguel Sapochnik show he didn't bring his A game either. He directed episodes 3 & 5. We all thought those would be great because he previously did Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards. But he sounds as if he didn't really want to be involved in the final season. He talked about how war and violence had been glorified and that his work in previous seasons had taken a toll on him. Well, then you should've sat this one out Miguel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

Mrs Qua watched with me, from start to finish, but never got particularly attached to the show and was left unaffected by the ending. But you're right, Stealth - it's therapeutic to watch youtuber after youtuber confirm quite how bad it became as it drew to a close.

Given Sapochnik's problems with D&D for BoB, I'm amazed he came back at all. A gig's a gig, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Stealth

As for the prequel, Naomi Watts said that Game of Thrones fans "won't be letdown" by it.

Looks like people are really worried how receptive fans are going to be to the new show after the finale debacle. I really like Watts, and I've enjoyed most of her other work, but they just started filming the show this month. So I don't know how she could be certain that the prequel is going to go well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I would have been ok with that ending.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I just watched the last season of GOT, and can't BELIEVE they made Bran the king. In all of season 7 and 8, he doesn't have a single expression on his face, and since he has become the three-eyed raven, his job is to *watch*, not lead. Bran has never inspired anyone to do anything, and IMO wouldn't make anyone want to risk their life for him. He knows all the stories of the country? Great. Make him an oracle or Head Historian - just not the king. The king's job is to *lead* and Bran is not a leader! How could all those lords, who actually ARE leaders, not see that? They couldn't. Making Bran king was completely implausible.

Contrast John with Bran. John is a natural leader and was felt to be a threat to the queen because of it, AND has an actual claim to the throne AND he just killed the mad queen who just murdered a couple hundred thousand people with a dragon, and said she was going to kill more. Why would you NOT make him king? Because an unsullied wants vengeance? I think not.

Also, one should point out that Ceresi's forces had surrendered and a mass slaughter occurred because Grey Worm did NOT follow orders. That is as good a reason as any to remove him from his position, if not remove his head.

Also, John would have been a unifying king for both the North and the South for all the seven kingdoms. The current ending giving Sansa the North as an independent kingdom? Horrible! Horrible, horrible, horrible!!! How long a time will elapse before the South starts a war to reincorporate the North? How long will it take before some strong lord will say to themselves, "If Sansa can make her people independent and not pay taxes to the Crown, why can't I? Bran isn't going to kill half his men to stop me, and which of his men will want to die for him?" Letting Sansa break away from the seven kingdoms had to be the worst decision of the show, and I can't believe the other lords there would let that pass without a fight. I'm sure Fatty of the Vale would like to be independent, but he didn't say *anything* about Sansa's people getting to be an independent kingdom while his people were not given the same privilege, even though his people are the ones that freed the North from their conquerors? Not believable.

Oh, one final thing. From a "looking forward" perspective, I'm surprised no one suggested killing off the remaining Dothraki who were happily slaughtering civilians after the surrender of King's Landing. Throughout history, the Dothraki never crossed the narrow sea until now. What is going to happen to Westros in the future when the Dothraki go back and talk about the wealth and easy pickings of Westros to their countrymen, and just how easy crossing the sea with their horses really was? Most likely there will be repeated invasions of Westros by the Dothraki like the Vikings raided England. Not good. It would be much better, if cruel to the current Dothraki, if the people of Westros killed them now and spread the tale in Essos that the Dothraki were easily slaughtered by the strength of Westros and crossing the sea was hopeless. Trust me, leaders of Westros, your children and grandchildren would thank you.

I enjoyed GOT, I really did. LOL, I can't believe how p!ssed off I am at the series for the half-@ssed ending they came up with. Whoever wrote and approved that b.s. should be given to Renly for reeducation.

#8138 Morgotha, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Stealth

Welcome to the club. There was a petition to remake the final Season of Game of Thrones "with competent writers" that pulled in an amazing 1.7 million signature. Of course 99% of the people who signed didn't actually expect it to be redone, but it was a nice outlet for fans to express their disgust.

You touched upon the ending with Sansa getting an independent North. That was like something out of a high school level script. Yara had previously been promised the independence of the Iron Islands by Dany, why would she now accept rule at King's Landing? Dorne has also been notoriously independent. They would have never gone for that charade either.

All they needed to do was land a mediocre final season and the show would've gone down as one of the best of all time. Instead D&D didn't give a damn. They were already looking ahead to their Star Wars project. Hopefully it falls through in the wake of this disaster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Stealth

The fallout from the Game of Thrones final season debacle continues. The prequel that was based on the long night and the white walkers that no one is interested in anymore (after flying squirrel Arya easily killed the Night King) has been canceled by HBO. Only the pilot had been filmed.

D&D are also out at Star Wars. They will not have their trilogy.

It looks like we might get a different spinoff though based on Martin's "Fire and Blood." It would be a history of the Targaryens starting with Aegon's conquest. This is a series that I'd be interested in. HBO though wants Martin to be directly involved. That's good news for this project but bad news for those of us that want him to finish the books.

• Like Like x 3