Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Gnomey's corner - Attempting intelligent Analysis

Discussion in 'Episode 314 - Prey' started by Gnome, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Gnome

Gnome Member

Hey guys - I wanted to create a thread where we could all have an intelligent conversation about the latest episodes and discuss what we make of certain characters actions. Maybe even delving into the psychology of their decisions (all the while keeping in mind that it's a show and has many flaws for realistic interactions).

Who burned the walker pits?: I know about the supposed Laurie Holden "slip," and of course Milton looked nervous as hell when confronted by TG at the end of Prey, but how would Milton have managed that? How could he have taken a vehicle out of Woodbury? Someone has also mentioned how the burner wasn't wearing Milton's little anti-biter jacket and gloves. The burner acted with a purpose, against Milton's character. I speculate that it could be Morgan because of the gas usage in "Clear." But I wanted to ask, did anyone else catch the graffiti in the building where TG and Andrea were playing cat and mouse? I only noticed it briefly but I thought I saw the words "HA HA" and some other semi-crazy tags. Does this remind anyone else of Morgan's antics from back in town? All I'm saying is that maybe Morgan was there for some amount of time. So he could be in this area now too instead of back in Atlanta. Just a thought.

Tyrese's position: People are saying he's dumb for not knowing what's up, but I don't think he has all the information he needs yet, but he's gathering it (albeit, slowly). I think Tyrese is a simple man, maybe not the sharpest in the drawer, but certainly not the dullest. He's a good man of good character and hopefully he catches onto TG and saves Andrea (not that I love her or anything, but she did take her head out of her ass last episode enough for me to want her to get back to the prison).

Leadership at the prison: Leadership is hard, especially as it would be in a situation like the one Rick is in. I like him and respect him and all, but a good leader would communicate more with his troops. The palpable air needs to be cleared in the prison or they're broken within. He needs to talk to Glenn, then to Merle, and then have a group meeting where he let's them figure it out, explaining that there's no other choice right now. To explain that Merle was a product of the environment he was in. He did some shitty things, but Merle may have sorrow and forgiveness in him after all. It just needs to be brought out, by Rick and his brother. Team Prison cannot function as a cohesive unit until this happens. Glenn isn't the same contributing, positive member he used to be, and he won't be the same. But, he can focus his vengeance on TG, not Merle.

Over the winter, a dictatorship was necessary to stay alive. They hadn't been on the road for a while and everyone was being whiney and out of focus. He led them and that was great. His moves lately have been better, post crazy Rick, but there's SO much more that needs to be done right now. Get the hell out to the perimeter and sniff out the Woodbury spies. Take back what you need of the prison, fortify, set traps, plan for every possible attack, but only after dispelling of the disharmony in your group!

Okay I've written too much for one post.

2. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

3. UndeadMauldo

UndeadMauldo Member

That was a line of dialog said out of context, in a preview. You should at least wait until after the episode airs to throw Rick under the bus.

#3 UndeadMauldo, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

"Hey guys - I wanted to create a thread where we could all have an intelligent conversation about the latest episodes and discuss what we make of certain characters actions. Maybe even delving into the psychology of their decisions (all the while keeping in mind that it's a show and has many flaws for realistic interactions)."

I am not sure how intelligent This conversation could be with the whole concept based on a comic book.....but we can try! I am convinced the writer/writers are not attempting to cover every hole in the plot/story-line.

The scene we have of the dead being burned...The only evidence I can come up with is 1. a person did it.....2. used a 3/4 ton or larger ford truck. Find the truck, find the possible person. 3. used diesel as an accelerant (not that this matters).

5. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I'm not throwing Rick under the bus. The writers are. They have been for some time. Even Andrew Lincoln said in a couple of different interviews that (1) playing Rick is masochistic and (2) he really hopes Rick being crazy is over. But I'm not talking about Rick being crazy. I'm talking about Rick being weak. Maybe its not abnormal weak, but its not the kind of weakness you expect, want or survive with in a leader. If these writers do not redeem Rick in the next two episodes, I am going to be really (really, really) upset. So, I guess I'm with you on not throwing Rick under the bus yet. (But if Rick ends up as road kill, don't blame me; blame the writers)

6. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

Rick is not going to be 'redeemed' this is how he is now, he is not going back to the old Rick, he is crazy he'll get better later but he will never be the same, that also carries a change on his moral and his actions, like backpack guy, and thinking about giving up on Michonne, I haven't seen the episode yet so I'd like to see it first and then judge, however Rick will be always one of my favorite characters no matter what.

7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way. I'd go one step further though and say that TWD's portrayal of Rick this season has been one of its strengths. It's only natural that he's going to go a bit crazy at this stage. He had to kill his best friend out of fear of the guy one day killing him. Then his wife (who may or may not be carrying the dead best friend's kid) dies in childbirth. Also when Lori died there was so much that was unresolved between them. Rick was even having a hard time talking to her at that point. And he also has a young son who had to shoot his Mom to keep her from turning.

I think it was a bold decision by the TWD to go this direction since you don't normally see this type of thing from the protagonist in a series. Like you, I think he's slowly coming out of it, but he's not going to be the same.

I am troubled too by him seriously considering the Michonne option, but will wait and see how it plays out.

8. Nebukadnezar

Nebukadnezar New Member

Hey, great thread.:)

Hm..i never thought it was Morgan, but you`re words make it very possible for me.
    Yes, i saw a few graffitis in this old building and my first thoughts were that it reminds me of Morgan. :p
    THAT`s what TWD its all about..you, we dont knew it, but it is possible.
    And i give it a bigger chance, that Morgan was there. These typical HAHA and Wake Up (somewhere in that building) are Morgan`s Style...now.

I really loved Tyrese in the comic and i was a little bit dissapointed, that he wasn`t really positioned since his first showing in this series.
    But i really hope, that he comes more and more to the frontstory now.
    I think he is not dumb, i would say is had "street-cleverness" which it makes him very comfortable in this type of world, with all the zombies and humans/"humans" around him.
    I expect alot from him in the near episodes (and Michonne too)

As a Poster over me, i think Shane`s influence on this series is still big.
    The first Rick was good, was human but naive in many times and the world changes him and all the other humans.
    Even Morgan is a little bit crazy now and also other persons who are very rational at first.
    Rick is not the perfect leader in my eye, but he is the best leader in the prison-group.
    Glenn lost his way and routine he had when he was showed first and the episodes after.
    He is in love, Maggie is his most important person now, so he is not free in mind (in my opinion), which it makes much more harder to think about the whole group and be a good leader.
    He is not bad, he is the perfect Co-Leader behind Rick.
    Hershel is also a quiet Soft-Leader, which correct if he sees it.

If i was the leader of the group, my first plan it so make a strategic withdrawal (thx 4 google, to find this word XD).
    The group is always the most important. Andrea should come with me after the meeting (which i would say her in a private talk on the governourmeeting, that she has the option).

There are another Places to live, that could be "save" too.
    Even if you must prepare and work for it.

I really think the Rick now is a mix out of the middle-Shane and middle-Rick..not perfect, but still better then before.
    The gouvernor symbolise the darkside of this Rick-Leadership.
    He is the bad, a REAL silent dicatorship (because of his smartness) - but effective, too.

There is not only one way to survive in this world. Not only one leadershipstrategy.
    The humans changed alot..

#8 Nebukadnezar, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  9. Gnome

Gnome Member

Awesome feedback guys, thanks for your posts!

Regarding Ricks leadership: I totally agree that it was ballsy for the writers to take a protagonist down this road. I think it's unique because it really shows human flaws and our struggles to regain ourselves. I think the whole thing about him thinking about giving up Michonne is being cut and edited to make us think he's really doing it. I really don't believe he's going to or was ever seriously considering it. But it was important for him to just explore it with Herschel, even to just see what it sounded like out loud. He knows TG won't keep his word. My thing with Rick isn't that he's going crazy or "omg I'm so tired of his hallucinations," or that he isn't like Shane. I'd just love to see him focusing his efforts on "unbreaking" the group so they can work as a cohesive unit again. Like they did all winter. Does anyone else wish we could have seen more of the group on the road before they found the prison? Maybe even in a flashback? Everyone, especially Herschel has said how great a leader Rick was throughout winter and I wanna see more of it!

Daveainthere - I know, I know, it's based on a comic :p But isn't it fun to think about what you'd like to think you'd do in these situations? And to have a grown up type convo without the kiddies making stupid comments?

Nebuk - Great observations as well. Shane's influence is an important one. You can't survive this world as old rick. They've changed. He's changed, and that was the significance of the backpacker and orange pack.

I think there's an issue of pride here too. Neither TG or Rick want to "lose," but this fight is really beside the point of everything. Men... we're men and we have pride and we've been killing each other since civilization commenced. Yes they're tired of being on the road and don't want to go back out there, but simply leaving in a situation like this would ensure the temporary safety of the group. Have a plan, think of a place that could work. Scout it out. Have a backup plan. Have another backup plan. Of course, that wouldn't make the most exciting TV series though...

10. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Come on now, comics don't have anything to do with a person's intelligence! This is a show about reanimatied dead people, an impossible concept, and yet we all still all tune in and come to the forum. That being said, I do agree with you that the writers are not attempting to cover every hole in the plot/story line. There are a LOT of red herrings in this series.

#10 Felicia, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  11. zombiemurphy

zombiemurphy Member

just read the signature below and look for red fish