Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hilltop finding out about Carl

Discussion in 'Episode 811 - Dead or Alive Or' started by Duce000, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I'm with @Lindigo , @Jen7 , @EZD , and @purriwinkle . Maybe once we see Rick and Michonne rejoin them we'll get a bit more reaction, but think it might be when they read the letters Carl wrote to them that we truly see a complete breakdown from Rick- we've got some emotion from Rick(more from Michonne, imo) but nothing like the reaction he had to Lori's death. On a side note, I liked seeing all of our core group back together in one place

• Like Like x 2
  2. AJ Dantley

AJ Dantley New Member

Most of them just didn't really care he is dead, I mean who did he really develop relationships with in that show? He didn't get close to anyone except Rick, Michonne and Enid and they were all crying about it. Lets be real, the ones like Maggie, Carol and Daryll will feel bad because of their relationship with Rick but I doubt that they will lose much sleep over the kid himself. He was such an underwhelming character anyway and his time had been up for a while. Moving on then.........

3. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I don't know why no one else likes the cranky pants posters. They make me howl with laughter. :D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Reina

Reina Active Member

There's a difference in butt hurt posters and those just trolling their hidden vendetta against other members. Mr. Fancy Pants up there isn't sporting a butt bandaid. Yet.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

There are dedinitely notable exceptions. All of "Honor" and Enid's response among them. To a certain extent Bob, Lori, Dale, and Tyreese gave us something like what I am talking about... (imo) Unfortunately some my favorite characters were treated like after thoughts. Glenn and Abraham felt lacking, especially considering all the hype going into their deaths - a lot of emotion felt unsaid or action based (like Rosita and Sasha's responses during season 7), but I feel like they should have had a good 15 minutes of getting more emotional interactions/responses in 7×01.

Maybe I am weird, but I really wanted something more substantial from Maggie and Daryl in the pantry in "Go Getters"... Some anger from Maggie; a breakdown from Daryl... Something..

Carol's reaction to Morgan telling her what happened to Glenn and Abraham felt so cold and underwhelming

Sasha was treated like a real after thought, which still bothers me til this day... We got a raggedy ol' slow motion cry from Maggie and a that was that... Only to be barely mentioned in season 8.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

We all know how everyone would react. I don't think we necessarily needed to see it played out. Sometimes imagination can fill the "gaps" better than being shown something can.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

That's why I like that we see Daryl mouth "Carl" with no other words and we see the immediate aftermath of Maggie and Enid finding out.

I'm sure we will get more detailed reactions as the characters deal with the loss, in later episodes. I'm sure there will be some of that in the next one.

It reminded me of when Carol found out Lori died. It was a similar situation. She asked about Lori and Rick just shook his head and she knew what that meant. Here her smile turns to a frown when she realizes something is wrong and just hearing "Carl" is all she needed.

Some scenes should be more subtle like this. We don't always need characters wailing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I adore you so much. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

They make me add levels to my dungeon

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

They make me add levels to my Lego 2-man outhouse.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

then would it not be more than a 2-man outhouse by now? Rough estimate, how many can you fit into you "2" man outhouse?

12. Neuropyramidal

Depends, are we talking Americans in general, or people who live within a few miles of a Sbarro?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

within a few miles of Sbarro BUT a town over from Johnny Rockets

14. Neuropyramidal

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

I guess I just like really gut wrenching emotional scenes. For example, Breaking Bad really featured some wild and emotional exchanges and they weren't even following a death. The cast would just throw themselves into the chaos of their character's situation.One specific example is the character Jesse's spiraling depression that really shaped him.

At the risk of sounding like a dead hearted automoton, I just like scenes that make me feel something.. Now this isn't to say I dont mind subtlety, it's just that I feel like the emotional responses to character deaths are frequently not proportional to the investment and emotion that said characters have for one another. It's fine if the subtlety here or there, but all too frequently we get what I feel are stand-offish performances.

What exacerbates this issue is that another core problem of the show is that half the cast talks too cryptically. Normal people (imo) do not speak in such a vague, stilted way as characters like Carol, Daryl, and sometimes Morgan. Idk which season this really became bad (maybe 6), but these characters used to talk to each other in really natural ways... Now not so much.

A good example of how the show does this right is Rick. This man absolutely throws himself into a scene, with amazing range (although Rick is probably the worst offender of speaking vaguely/melodramatic)

Unfortunately, many others dont really share their internal motivations let alone feelings, and when they often do, it's via some opaque dialogue that tries to sound deep, but just sounds weird..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Exactly. TWD is already walking a tightrope of trope. So we don't need to venture into the soap opera routine of playing the same scenes over and over again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

Is this about my original post? Definitely not cranky just an opinion. If u see my previous posts I always defend the show.

But I do agree with some of the posts here that maybe we didn’t need to see the full reaction this episode. But I do want to see some good dialogue next episode when Rick is inside the hilltop. I just feel like Carl is such a huge loss for the group the scenes should really show that.

They have a chance for some great dialogue this coming episode. Michonne could tell Rick about Andre. Carol can talk to Rick about her experience losing her child, and maybe even about having to kill Lizzie. Morgan can mention his son. I would love to see some dialogue with Maggie telling Rick that Carl was her family too like rick did with Glenn.

I wasn’t a fan of this particular style for this scene but if they give some good dialogue between the characters and Rick I won’t mind how they did it at all. Maybe just wasn’t a fan because I was looking forward to the reaction and it just felt kinda skipped over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

I liked how they did the carol finding out about Lori. She started crying and said sorry to Rick but immediately smiled when she saw the baby Lori died for. That was very well done.

I liked Enid’s reaction to this even tho I feel they could’ve done it with faint sound where you could hear her a little bit.

I feel Maggie and Carl had a special bond that I would’ve liked to see more of a reaction from Maggie. But I hope we get some good dialogue with her and Rick. After all she was there with him when Lori died and she’s the one who delivered Judith. Plus on the road Carl gave her that gift and after Glenn died Carl was the one she hugged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

I wouldn’t say didn’t care but I do kinda agree that his relationships with other characters weren’t developed. I think him and Maggie should’ve had a better bond with her being with him when Lori died and Judith was born but they never really interacted much in between that and being on the road

20. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

No. I was reacting to AJ Dantly's post about how no one in the group would miss Carl. :D:rolleyes::D

• Like Like x 1