Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hitchhiker Versus Governor

Discussion in 'Episode 313 - Arrow on the Doorpost' started by The Great Zombini, Mar 10, 2013.

1. The Great Zombini

The Great Zombini Well-Known Member

I don't get Rick. He's cold enough to leave a hitchhiker to die but he doesn't put a bullet through the Governor's head? He shouldn't have even listened, just removed the threat the second the Gov raised his hands.

2. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

I agree Rick definitely should have taken out the Gov there and then. He won't get a better opportunity.

3. Beaugard Stevens

I agree, I think that is what he should have done.

4. Stark

Stark Member

It's just not who Rick is as a character. Obviously it's the thing most people say they would do but it's a show, and Rick is the good guy. He's not going to shoot The Governor when he's under the belief (remember, he's trusting Andrea and that's why he's there) that they're meeting under peaceful conditions.

5. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

Yup, he should have done to him what he did to Tomas.

i can only suspect that killing the gov right there might place Hershel and Daryl's lives at risk? Just guessing.

i wonder if the hitchhiker would have gone with them if he knew he was getting drafted into a war lol

6. DarkeAngelus

DarkeAngelus Member

I'll hop on the cart and voice my dismay that Rick just sat there and let the Gov goad him all through the "meeting". He should have popped a cap directly into the man's other eye. In terms of speed draws, Rick's been a cop all his life. Philip was just a pencil-pushing weasel. Rick would have had his gun out of the holster before the Gov even saw the move. Outside, Daryl would have heard the shot and immediately ended Martinez. I don't count Andrea or Milton as being a threat. They'll never have another opportunity than this one. Rick just F***ed up again...

7. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

Agreed on the missed opportunity part.

Just saying that Rick had no idea how many people were out there and if there was an ambush in place.

8. PizzaBoy

PizzaBoy Member

You sir are correct!

9. ThatGuy0965

ThatGuy0965 Member

yes, and the hitch hiker didn't have a whole army of fully equipped gunmen who outnumber the prison group 3 to 1... even if they killed the governor and his two men, i'm sure the residents/guards of woodbury would be smart enough to predict their deaths, and seek retribution by leading an attack on the prison. rick was playing it smart, even though war is inevitable at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lurkers&roamers

He was there under the impression that they were making a peace negotiation, which is what Andrea led him to believe. He also didn't know how many people the Governor brought. He easily could've brought more than Martinez, in which case both Hershel and Daryl are dead, in all likelihood. Killing would've worked when it was just Rick and the Governor, but once the Governor's cronies showed up, it was out of the question.

11. The Great Zombini

The Great Zombini Well-Known Member

From what we've seen, I don't think so. Without the Governor's charismatic leadership and Martinez's muscle, I think Woodbury citizens would immediately cave. Granted, for the sake of storyline and plot the show's writers could have the citizens rise up in revolt, but that would contradict the wish-washy citizens we've seen such as screaming in panic when two zombies get in or trying to leave after the first conflict.

12. ThatGuy0965

ThatGuy0965 Member

true. i'd forgot to take into consideration of how weenie-ish the people of woodbury are :/

13. BronzeBomber

BronzeBomber Member

Amen. Ricks hypocrisy has been annoying me all season. EARTH TO RICK!!! the guy has killed group members, wants to kill Michonne, and threatened to kill everyone including your kids. It was probably smart to just let him leave so you can ponder one of the crappy choices hes giving you. Can we have Merle leading the group already?

14. BronzeBomber

BronzeBomber Member

You are just making excuses for bad and inconsistent writing.

15. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

The problem here is that Rick knows The Governor is a leader, has people to take care of. He won't just flat out kill this guy. I think this talk was to get to know each other a little more before things get serious.

16. BronzeBomber

BronzeBomber Member

Your forgot to mention that Rick is also an 18th century british officer and gentleman. His battle strategy is going to be to stand in a neat line and fire volleys at the enemy.

17. BronzeBomber

BronzeBomber Member

I think that things got serious when he told him he was going to kill his children.

18. Jendo

Jendo Member

You're just making excuses to nitpick at something that would contribute to what you apparently find so appalling: bad writing.

D'you think having the protagonist shoot the antagonist at the first opportunity would do the show's drama any favours? You're trying to apply 'I would've done' logic when instead you should be employing a suspension of disbelief, like anyone should when watching a TV show with a long arc, especially when it essentially boils down to good guy vs bad guy dynamics.

What next, a thread on the Lord of the Rings forums asking why they didn't just get the eagles to help them drop the ring into Mount Doom in the first ten minutes?

EDIT: Oh, hi by the way, first post etc.

19. BronzeBomber

BronzeBomber Member

Why didn't they let those damn eagles fly them in? I could have used a lot less Frodo/ Sam cryfests.

20. ostendadler

ostendadler Member

We're all hitchhiking guvnah's