Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

How aren't there more walkers showing up?

Discussion in 'Episode 205 - Chupacabra' started by BloodLustKitty80, Nov 14, 2011.

1. BloodLustKitty80

Observation: In this episode I noticed that Hershel turned on a very loud gennie and they are all out there doing target practice. Also, there's a new guy and girl that appeared. Questions: How is it that more walkers aren't following all that noise to the farm and who are those people that just magically appeared this episode?

2. shannon28

shannon28 Member

I'm guessing you're referring to Jimmy(i think) and Beth? They were both at the funeral for Otis. I wondered the same thing when he started the generator. Maybe the ones that were close are already in the barn? I thought they said the highschool was only 5 minutes away in a previous episode, so it seems like the walkers there should have headed their direction.

3. The Governor

The Governor Member

I believe he said 5 miles. So that would be a nice distance to cover for slow shambling zombies

4. BloodLustKitty80

Or why didn't the ones in the barn get stirred up by hearing it and caused a commotion to get out? Seems like they only knew that there was a way out only once Glenn shined the light on them. lol and Im more than sure that Glenn is familiar with the way a walker sounds without having to shine a light on them all for as long as he did

5. BloodLustKitty80

And let's talk about how none came around after Daryl and the others came to the farm and Daryl was on that not so quiet chopper announcing their arrival before they even were seen.

6. The Governor

The Governor Member

That's something I never understood, if gunshots can be heard from far away, you're gonna tell me a loud ass chopper isn't gonna attract more roamers? Daryl's just riding around like, "**** it" lol. I love it

7. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I think of the sound thing as Dale put it in episode 103 when Glenn comes riding through the quarry with the Charger's car alarm going off - the sound bounces and echos so much that the walkers wouldn't be able to tell which direction it comes from. If you think about creating loud noises in wide open spaces with rolling hills, this is true. And a generator isn't really that loud, imo. Hershel's farm is secluded enough to where it wouldn't be an issue.

Same with Daryl riding Merle's bike. Even if the walkers could tell where the sound was coming from, he would be long gone by the time they got there.

8. BloodLustKitty80

Yeh but if there are walkers fumbling around in the very nearby woods and are unaware that they are that close to living people then hearing all that noise would just make them go "oh yeh u hear that? lets go eat some dumbasses" lol

9. Chreees

Chreees Member

I love how in the comics and the show, there's two rules-

1. Do not fire your gun unless necessary, as the sound attracts walkers.

2. Do not waste your ammo.

Yet they're always having target practice... haha.

10. The Governor

The Governor Member

They have a target practice/instructional seminar type of thing in the comics as well, way before they even get to Hershel's farm

11. AVC

AVC Member

The firearms training is hilarious.

Someone getting taught about firearms should be able to strip and assemble faultlessly, and carry out I.A.s (immediate actions, which are stoppage drills) over and over, before anyone even mentions the use of live ammunition.

Then of course there are the subjects of checking your targets and exposures (collateral damage is a lesson Carl nearly paid the ultimate price for)

12. BloodLustKitty80

lmao I thought the same thing too when Shane was giving Andrea that little speech bout committing to shooting something and that there was a good spot but they never showed them shooting so I said they cant be so dumb to actually use up their ammo on trees lol

13. silmarien

silmarien Member

Well, Daryl's chopper makes loud noise, but the sound is moving, ie it's hard to pinpoint.

A gunshot, on the other hand, is making loud noise from a stationary position: thus it is easier to tell from which direction it comes.

14. Dead man walking

I don't see how this farm is 'ideal' anyway. It seems to me there are plenty of walkers stumbling around the woods so I think we should have seen more than this ambling upto the crappy perimeter fence even without the shooting and target practice. I couldn't sit there reading a book, drinking wine (I thought Hershel didn't drink?) and eating lunch, in a house that has wide open doors, no boarded windows, no security whatsoever. And Shane was worried about the barn? I'd be more worried about the massive expanse of wide open land around me where you can be attached from all sides.
    They seem pretty relaxed considering in my opinion, it isn't safe at all. If it had a massive 3ft concrete wall all round and iron gates or a massive steap sided trench all the way round then fair enough but anyone can just walk out of the woods (like carol did). So it's not believable really. If they really want to find a 'camp' they need something like a supermarket or shopping centre with roof top parking. They could hole up forever then only foraging out when necessary and would have a great view of the sunset..

15. RicksRightHand

Plus, a gunshot is still louder than a motorcycle.

Average Gunshot makes 140 decibels of noise and the highest a motorcycle is legally allowed to go is 82 decibels.

The gunshots sound will travel so much further than the noise of the motorcycle... and like silmarien said, the gunshot is stationary and the chopper is moving.

16. NameTaker

NameTaker Member

I get the target practice, I mean if you save your ammo and have no one who can shoot when the time comes, you're screwed. Plus if it attracted walkers, they're ready with their weapons.