Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I actually don't like Horror today

Discussion in 'Horror Discussion' started by GreekSalads, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

Yeah very true, the older horror movies didn't rely on FX to scare you, it was dramatic camera shots, great acting and just overall feeling of suspense without just showing it outright. It's like any genre of film, that these things are what really makes the movie shine, recent or not. :)

#41 jj_vsp, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

After awhile we see the same crap over and over again due to lack of new ideas (remakes) and hollywoods lust to copy any idea and run it dry.

3. JorjSimeonov

JorjSimeonov New Member

What kills horror movies for me nowadays is that they are all based on jump scares and loud sounds to freak you out. It's just cheap and most are not suspenseful at all. I want a horror movie to make me feel terrified, uncomfortable and weak, not just make me jump out of my seat 3-4 times and have nothing else to offer.

4. NickJ

NickJ Member

Demonic possession is no joke though. It's a very serious and exhausting scenario where most of the time the possessee doesn't survive the battle. The biggest mystery though is how does it happen to people. I assume the Ouija board is one way but there've been stories of people not fiddling around with magic or occult stuff and they've been possessed. Not sure how that happens, unless it's lineage based. If a long dead ancestor made a "deal".... and never held up their end, I guess the demon or entity now has "access"... which means it can skip generations and choose a new victim from within the bloodline?

5. Muthoni

Muthoni New Member

I have to agree with you, horror movies made earlier were very convincing. Someone recommended Carrie as a great horror movie; let us just say that I was immensely disappointed. I want to see the unexpected in a horror movie and be very scared after watching it. I like a twist and a surprise in a horror as well. Maybe I have watched too many horror movies that I am looking for something that stands out.

6. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Scary situation for that little girl. He could have killed her if he hit her differently. BTW, whoever thought this idea up is a real retard. In addition to endangering the girl, what I can see happening is someone having a heart attack and dropping dead right there.

Stupidest prank ever.

And I hate to say it, but I'm kind of proud of the last guy for protecting his girlfriend, even from a ghost.

#46 Morgotha, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  7. Cpt-Rhodes

Cpt-Rhodes New Member

I agree, every couple of years you get a gem though like It Follows this year. That was alright imo. Most horror films these days use too many clichés and are scared to be different. Under the Skin, more psychological horror but it was great and really different.

House of 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects stand out to me though and they're instant classics imo.

8. Rickshair

Rickshair Member

I can't remember the last good 'modern' day horror film. Most of them I start watching but they're just so boring and the acting is nearly always terrible.

A weak plot too.

I also hate comedy horror. Like make your mind up, is it horror or comedy, don't mix the two if you're not funny and the script isn't funny so forget it.

9. EvilDeadJ

EvilDeadJ Member

Some horror and horrorish films Ive seen in the last 5 or so years I think were good that come to mind, that arent typical Ghost story/haunted house, or possession type movies:

The Road
    It Follows
    Hidden
    We are what we are
    The Voices
    Chained
    Drag me to hell

10. Monster Voices

I agree! When I started watching horror movies they seemed very interesting to me ... but having watched my fair share they started to seem so damn repetitive. There are so many movies that seem JUST like other ones. Jump scares and creepy kids and hillbilly freaks and something haunted in every movie! There are still some very good ones that make you think, make you scared and leave an impact but they are not many at all.
    But hey, it's like that with every form of art, every genre if you think about it .

11. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

Today's horror is automatically watered down and that makes it hard to fear. I will sound "old" but in my day you watched horror to be scared. As a kid you feared Freddy, Jason, Pinhead, Reagan, etc. Nowadays it's all creepy pasta and thin man. All of which have merits and can be scary but as soon as a good character starts they water it down with fan pics of badly drawn pictures done in manga style of two boys with hearts around their heads. The creators start strong and their fans knock it down to something to be made fun of or even adored. I commend those who are seriously trying to keep horror alive and breathe new life into it but it is truly a sad imitation of what it once was.

• Like Like x 1
  12. blossompaddok

blossompaddok New Member

But still I am afraid of horror movies.