Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I Grok the Fifth Column of Chodes

Discussion in 'Episode 807 - Time for After' started by Neuropyramidal, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Just to throw out some of Eugene's cultural references I caught on my first time around...

He said that he could "Grok" the current situation regarding Dwight. A reference to the great novel Stranger In A Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein. Grok means to understand, or realize something, in that sci fi novel.

He called Dwight the 'fifth columner', a reference to the 'fifth column' of troops in the Spanish Civil War that secretly went rogue to undermine the Spanish Republic. Since then a 'fifth column' refers to a group of traitors that exist within.

Of course he also reminisced about 'chomping down on Dwight's chode', a chode being a tiny little peep that is often wider than it is long.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I need to rewatch just to be able to absorb everything he said lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

With subtitles. LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah imma watch it again tonight with subtitles. I'm guessing there were more cultural references that I missed the first time.

5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

He mumbles it so fast I can hardly ever really hear what he says.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

Yeah, subtitles are a MUST for my wife and I. Usually for the Eugene scenes, but recently just because increasingly more characters are throwing gritty grunts into their dialogue and it's hard to make out what they say through the heavy breathing haha

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

These arent as interesting, but:

Wilkes-Barre seems to be a city in either Wyoming or Pennsylvania (there are local newspapers in each state that claimed the show was referencing them haha). So Eugene was basically saying a "small city's worth of walkers"

Rolling D20s refers to table-top role playing games like Dungeons and Dragons. I don't play these games, but I assume rolling a 20 might be considered a good thing (someone please correct me if I am wrong). I guess Eugene used that reference to further drive home the point that he was really feeling himself in the moment/self-interested.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Sky Pilot G definitely had a look, during that diatribe, that clearly stated "Slow down, let me write some of this down. I'll need Dennis Miller to help with the references, later"

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I've been watching with subtitles for a couple of seasons now lol. Otherwise i'm turning it up and down, up and down when it gets loud and then people start mumbling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1