Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I officially hate Shane

Discussion in 'Episode 203 - Save the Last One' started by Joshua, Oct 30, 2011.

1. SuzieO

SuzieO New Member

Shane seems to be a complex character and very passionate as seen by emotions boiling over. Definitely not black and white. The scene where he was helping Rick, wiping the blood from his face and later when their heads were together (loved that) shows he does care for Rick but... he's madly in love with Lori and it's not something he can control. It really irritated me from the beginning the way Lori sends mixed messages to Shane. One day she tells him to leave her and Carl alone, then she says I can't believe you're giving me the cold shoulder/ why did you shut Carl down like that?... tells him to leave, tells him to stay. She is not making it easy for him to accept that they are no longer a family unit like before. He came back a different person for sure but I have a feeling that many of them are going to change in the near future and have to re-evaluate their beliefs as to what is right and wrong in this new world.

2. mx_599

mx_599 New Member

what happens in comics?

3. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

It's a large spoiler, and I suggest you just read the fantastic comic series, but if you must know...

4. mx_599

mx_599 New Member

sweet, thanks!

5. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

As if I couldn't hate Shane anymore than I already do.I continue to hate him with each episode. Poor Shane still pissed of because the survivors follow and listen to Rick. And Lori more or less told him to **** off. That surprises him? Lori and Carl are Rick's wife and son not his. Yes he stepped to help thinking his friend was did but..come on. And now seeing that Shane would like to practically fight with -physically - Rick and in the back of his mind kill his so called best friend? I'm glad to see that in next week's preview episode that Dale confronts him and says " I know what kind of man you really are". If at some point Shane gets badly injured or killed I won't feel sorry for him he has it coming.

6. SavetheLast_1

SavetheLast_1 Member

Wow, a lot of Shane hate going on here.

I love what Shane did. Was it the right thing to do? I honestly think we'll never know, but we do know what did come from Shane's decision: Carl lived. I feel as though Shane did what he had to do - by any means - to Save Carl's life. And as much as I hate to say it, because I love Rick's character to death...

Shane made the decision that Rick wouldn't have been able to. Who knows if Carl would even be alive right now had Rick gone with Otis, instead of Shane.

7. Chickenwire. That's handy

Point. Well made. However, it's not the outcome people are chewed about; it's the principle behind it, the motive. Shane wouldn't have made the decisions he made had he not wanted to supplant Rick; wanted to become Rick... It's that that gets people enervated.

#47 Chickenwire. That's handy, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. Roman'sRevenge

I really love how Shane believes his own lies. Saying Rick is his best friend? Really he can't seem to stay away from his best friends' wife and son and just move on. Jeez get a hint when Lori said she was more or less finished with him and she and Carl were never his. Just walkaway. And saying how Rick is like his brother? Has he heard the story about Kane and Abel? How did that turn out? If it is true about Carl shooting him? If he doesn't kill him I hope he fatally wounds him. He would have it coming though.

9. BrokenAngel

BrokenAngel Active Member

I hate Shane for just what he did to Rick. And what he did to Otis wasn't too cool either. I understand the reasoning behind it but it was the way in how he did it.

10. SavetheLast_1

SavetheLast_1 Member

But what did Shane do to Rick?

Go back for him? Try to revive him after he really, truly thought Rick was dead? There's a ton of different ways you could look at the "love triangle" of Rick, Shane, and Lori, and there's a thousand different arguments that could be made as far as Shane's motivation for the things he's done. I'll just say that nearly all of us, at some point in life, have been emotionally toyed with...and it's hard, and it never seems fair because it isn't.

So when Lori is giving all of the implications that she wants to be with Shane - whether that was because she thought her husband was dead or not - no, I don't blame Shane for a single thing.

He thought Rick was dead too.
    He wanted to make sure the Wife and Son of his best friend were safe and taken care of.
    He saved Rick's son.
    He even tried to go back and save Rick at the Hospital.

Are there a lot of complex emotions involved? Absolutely, and yes, he slept with Lori under the assumption that Rick had died, but up until this point in the show, he's been nothing but the best kind of friend..all things considered. We'll see if it stays that way.

11. Roman'sRevenge

I'm sorry I have to disagree. I have zero doubt that Shane would have shot and killed Rick in the woods if it weren't for Dale busting him. The look he had on his face and in his eyes. And at the CDC he tried to rape Lori and would have it she hadn't scratched him. I honestly believe Shane is jealous of Rick because he returned and he can't have Lori and Carl for his own. He needs a reality check they were never his to begin with.Lori made it clear it was over and he just keeps looking over at her and Carl. I don't think Shane tried hard enough when Rick was in the hospital to know for a fact that he was dead. I will always defend Rick because between the two of them Rick is the better man.

12. SavetheLast_1

SavetheLast_1 Member

Rick is definitely the better man.

And this is why I love this show, and specifically, Shane's character: There's a lot of different ways to interpret him. I guess we'll see who's pegged him right soon enough :p

13. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

I know this is old, but I had one problem. I'm fine with the idea of 'one of us wasn't gonna make it, it had to be him.' But why the **** did he shoot him in the leg, so Otis could get eaten alive, he wouldn't of had to shave his hair, wouldn't half to be guilty, hearing that screaming when he was going away or when Otis was fighting back, Shane almost died himself when Otis fought back, he only just got away before the walkers made it to Otis.

14. Nachtbringer

Nachtbringer Member

1. It could be because the zombies would not care about a dead body but want to go first after the living one.
    A person who is still alive would hold the walker away a little bit longer too.
    2. He is still a human and it was a extreme stress situation, in this short time to make a decision you can not think rational so it could be a short impulse reaction.
    3. He just could not shoot Otis in the face, I mean just watch as how he looks at Shane xD"

But Shane even offers to stay back but Otis didnt want that, so it had to be him.
    I like that scene, then Otis say "I dont leave you here" Shane punch the street and in german he says "NO!".

15. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

I agree. Shane really loved Carl. He would do anything for him. It was a very tough decision to make. But I still felt sorry for Otis.

16. mtcsteelcurtain

I have watched this episode several times now, and with each viewing, I hate Shane more. While, it is true, Shane asked Otis to go on without him at one point, making it appear that he had Carl's best interest in mind, I think his game plan changed during their escape from the zombies. It is truly apparent that Otis, although fat and out of shape, is able to outrun Shane due to his injured ankle. When they show them running away from the side view, Otis is ahead of Shane each time. I think that Shane shot Otis for his own self perseverance. I think Shane was worried that he was going to be caught by the zombies, and offed Otis to buy himself some time to escape. There was no point in shooting him. It took about a minute for Shane to wrestle the supplies away from Otis. Since the zombies did not reach Shane during that minute of struggle, in my mind, there was plenty of time for them to both escape if they just kept going. In my opinion, Shane was scared, panicked, and was only thinking of himself. I believe he cut his hair to avoid questions from the others at the farm as to why he had a clump of hair missing from his head. At least that was my gut instinct upon first viewing. Although, he may have felt guilty about his actions, and is trying to erase the memories by cutting his hair, thus not having a daily reminder every time he looks in the mirror. I'm sticking with my gut instinct though, and am assuming Shane is a pompous ass and was only thinking of his own survival and is covering it up.

17. bendavp

bendavp New Member

There are 2 kinds of people...

I think this kind of event is what really stirs the series.
    Like the title says, there are 2 kinds of people.

One can argue that Shane had very little choice and the decision he made was the decision that saved Carl. I think the people who think this are more focused on Shane's future in the group rather than Shane's past. Which is really what is most important.

Meanwhile, one can make an argument that Shane was only doing this to redeem himself in Lori's eyes, and he wasn't really thinking about the Grimes family at all. I think these people focus more on Shane's past than his future. They say old habits die hard, so these people probably think that he will never change and that is just his character.

Personally, my mind shifts with every post on this thread so at this point I'm not set on any point of view, but I am leaning more towards the fact that Shane may not be "mister - nice - guy".

#57 bendavp, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013