Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I read The Walking Dead #100 yesterday

Discussion in 'Volume 17: Something To Fear' started by marsyao, Jun 19, 2012.

1. marsyao

marsyao Member

I found this article, I wish I could have read issue 100 like that lucky guy:

So, I read The Walking Dead #100 yesterday.

As you might have expected, it's good. It's really good, in fact – probably the best thing Robert Kirkman has written to date.

It's also incredibly unsettling: There's one particular scene in this issue that actually turned my stomach. If you've read the book over the years, you know Robert has no qualms about putting his characters through hell or making his audience squirm. I won't go into specifics, because there are new readers discovering the series all time time, but trust me – life has never been easy in The Walking Dead.

Issue #100 is somewhat different, though, at least to my mind, because what happens in this issue is fairly unprecedented in terms of the sheer display of brutality. It affected me so deeply, I had to go back and re-read it almost immediately. And then I read it again later the same day. When I left work and met up with some friends that evening, it was so at the forefront of my mind that I brought it up in conversation two different times.

As I described the discomfort that one scene caused me, one friend made a comment about not really understanding the whole zombie craze, and it struck me how many people still associate The Walking Dead and its success with zombies. But really, it's not about that at all, and the events in this issue underscore that more (and perhaps, better) than almost any other, because you know what?There's hardly a zombie in it.

And that's what caused me to bring The Walking Dead #100 up a second time as we sat and talked.

Of all the horrific things that have happened in The Walking Dead over the last 100 issues, almost none of them have involved zombies. In fact, I'm trying to think of something truly terrible – I don't just mean scary or shocking – that had something to do with zombies, and I'm blanking. And to be more specific about what I mean, there's a pretty disturbing scene in #41 that features a zombie, but what happens has almost nothing to do with the zombie and everything to do with the person involved.

The darkness and horror in The Walking Dead comes from people. The things people do to each other, and the things people do to themselves. The vilest acts in this series, the most grotesque images – all of them of them are focused squarely on humanity's almost insatiable penchant for cruelty. Yes, people are occasionally bit and killed by zombies – some completely devoured – but the real pain is inflicted by the people attempting to survive in this nightmare world.

On one hand, it's a testament to the sheer blackness of Robert Kirkman's imagination, but more than that, it's a commentary on who we are and what we're capable of. The stories may be fiction, the fruit of some dark tree Kirkman can climb better than most, but his characters are all too real. The things they do, the choices they make, the hurt they inflict – none of it is particularly far-fetched. Take the zombies out of the equation altogether and it's just us, doing what we've done to each other for centuries.

What makes The Walking Dead so vital – the deep, dark secret behind its success, if you will – is that it's about people. People you can relate to. People you can sympathize with. People you can root for. People you can hate. People you can fear.

That's why, at 100 issues and counting, this book can still cause me to wince with pain, to look away in disgust or to shake my head in sadness or shame. I may not be able to imagine what it's like to live in a world overrun by zombies, but there's not a thing these people have done that is beyond my realm of comprehension.

The zombies are just window dressing.

http://www.thewalkingdeadnewsfeed.com/2012/06/walking-dead-100-advanced-review.html

2. Negan

Negan Active Member

"over the last 100 issues, almost none of them have involved zombies. In fact, I'm trying to think of something truly terrible – I don't just mean scary or shocking – that had something to do with zombies, and I'm blanking. And to be more specific about what I mean, there's a pretty disturbing scene in #41 that features a zombie, but what happens has almost nothing to do with the zombie and everything to do with the person involved."

This guy obviously doesn't remember Volume 14.

3. OFC. Friendly

OFC. Friendly Member

I've said it before, what Kirkman has done is basically reset the world - survivors have been thrown into a timewarp and landed in what resembles our civilization's beginnings. Tribal warefare where groups struggle for resources/land, these things equal power. Battles to obtain that power are going to begin in issue #100....

4. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

I've recently only been reading the series in trade, but I might have to break that rule for #100. It would seem nifty to have in the WALKING DEAD collection.

5. Negan

Negan Active Member

6. Negan

Negan Active Member

7. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Agreed. In fact, you can easily make the argument its already happening. And has been happening for a while now. I didnt see it before, but its so clear now.

8. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

"Lucille is coming". Sounds like someone is important. I have never been so excited for the next Walking Dead issue. There is a lot of stuff I can't wait to read.

9. Negan

Negan Active Member

To be honest, if Lucille is to be a town or a ship, where those in the van retreat to, just please don't kill Heath. He is the only Alexandria character that I don't want dead, other than Aaron or Eric, but I don't think they will make it.

Avatar Related; One of my favorite post-prison characters

Now, as for the theory that Rick is actually going to head back to Alexandria to ambush the Saviors, I think that that is more plausible than any other theory we have heard.

Glenn may have wand to head to the Hilltop, but the look in Rick's eye makes me think they have been planning something since the start.

10. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

Very interesting. This "Lucille" has my curiosity piqued. Can't wait to read it!

11. OFC. Friendly

OFC. Friendly Member

Maybe once Carl dies and Ricky has nothing to live for, Lucille becomes the center of attention for this book.....what if Lucille is a long lost family member of Rick and he has somethign else to care about/worry for?

12. aahe42

aahe42 New Member

Yeah but think of the most shocking moments of No Way Out, only few people died by zombies which wasn't all that terrifying or shocking. But the two most shocking moments from my memory included humans being the true problem. (Carl and Douglas Monroe, Rick and Jessie)

13. marsyao

marsyao Member

Here is a almost spoiler free review of the issue 100 from the bleedingcool, here is something interesting:
    "For a start, I was expecting the comic to show us what happened to the encampment that Rick and his crew had been settling into for the last couple of years, when Rick left in issue 99, and the local ne’er do wells watched him go, waiting, biding their time. I was expecting a massacre, and for Rick to return to find everyone in the encampment dead
    This did not happen, Not in One Hundred anyway. Instead we got a very different story."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07...ead-100-by-robert-kirkman-and-charlie-adlard/

Does that means Rick's Van is ambushed? Or is hilltop attacked ?

14. tragictwist

tragictwist New Member

Issue 100 spoilers!

Just wondering if there is anybody else out there who can't afford a copy of 100? :(
    I'm having to wait, and I am extremely impatient, so I found a summary of the issue from somebody who has already gotten his hands on it...
    Attaching a link in case there are people who want to see it.

15. Negan

Negan Active Member

Welp. There goes.

EDIT: Rick is a whiny baby if his darkest moment is that. RK put too much hype on this.

That cannot possibly take up a whole 40 pages.

#15 Negan, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  16. marsyao

marsyao Member

I am a little skeptical, although

#16 marsyao, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  17. tragictwist

tragictwist New Member

I'm confused there, as well. I wonder if they were trying to say that this leads up to the darkest moment in Rick's life?
    I'm hoping maybe that guy only got part one or something? But I can easily see them stretching this into 40 pages by filling up entire pages with the sickening artwork.

I'm disappointed because I hyped this up quite a bit... but I've read reviews from other people (who did not post any spoilers) who said that this scene was apparently the sickest, most gruesome one yet. I am preparing myself to possibly be sick when I finally get to read it myself. :x

18. Negan

Negan Active Member

Holy mothaf*cking sh*t with a goddamn cherry on top!

That issue....

F*cking sucked.

AND TO MAKE IT ALL F*CKING WORSE, THE GOD DAMN EDITOR LEAVES US HANGING WITH "Oh- and look forward to our real milestone- Issue 106".

#18 Negan, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  19. tragictwist

tragictwist New Member

So was the summary I posted pretty spot on??
    I guess I can prepare for full disappointment now...

20. Negan

Negan Active Member

I am so mad.

Not about

#20 Negan, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012