Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I'm curious...

Discussion in 'Fear The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Jama, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

This might be hard to articulate....

I've read a lot of posts about FTWD from several of you and it seems like, from my perspective, that a lot of you like the show, but do not see it as being of the same caliber as TWD.

However, that might not be an accurate evaluation either, because others have eluded to the fact that they just like the TWD universe in general and are watching out of loyalty. I'm sure there's many multi-faceted reasons.

I never gave the show a chance and have not watched a single episode. For two reasons.

#1A. I was skeptical of the original "origin of the apocalypse" angle. How long could they milk that when it all happened so fast, given the fact that fans are interested in not just 1 or 2 zombies, but HORDES of them.

#1B. I was then skeptical of them doing the time jump (to fix the problem of "milking" the origin story for too long) and then the show is basically another version of the same TWD show.... but different. (Like all the NCIS shows, lol)

#2. Gimple was going full steam ahead in his mission to ruin TWD around the time that FTWD started, so I was worried that the show would be overkill for me.

But it seems as if there's value in this show, or all of you wouldn't be watching. I'm curious to hear your opinions about FTWD and why you watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I’m too jaded to answer because I’m still pissed off at how they wrecked the back half of this season. Lololol

So I’ll leave it to other opinions.

Also, shut up. (Pre-answer to whatever smartass reply you’re fixing to give me) :D

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Pepper. I think you're absolutely THEE BEST PERSON EVER!!! I love you!

Oh. You want me to shut up and NOT say things like that? Okay. No skin off my nose. lololol

#3 Jama, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I’m not really sure what you are asking. Is it “is Fear worth watching “?

I watch it because it did show the beginning. Then got invested in the main characters. My investment has waned a bit, because of this last season, but I am hoping next season is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

So... the part where I said this....
    WASN'T CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU!!!!!

Gawd, Sharpie! You're killing me!!! Gawd! Why? OMG! ;-)

6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Oh, and thanks for your feedback, btw.

7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

If you take a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being a really outstanding cable-changing show, and 1 being absolute crap, and the average background noise of prime time procedural cop shows and all the other humdrum that is forgettable and just blends together as being same old same old, and call those things about a 4 or 5, then in my opinion TWD is about a 9 and FTWD is about a 7 or 7.5. So it still stands out of the background noise as being good television, but it doesn't have the magic that TWD has on its good days.

One problem early on with FTWD for me was that I wasn't connecting with the characters the way I connect with TWD characters. Especially in the early seasons, when I watched TWD I felt a bond with them, like you could almost jump in the TV and join them and fit right in. Rick, Hershel, Dale, Shane, Merle, Eugene, and many more...they were kind of iconic characters that you really got invested in.

In FTWD there was really no one that I could latch onto and be like "ok this is my favorite character I really like this person". They were all just kind of like, 'eh, she's not bad. I guess I like these guys'. No real bond.

One thing in the past that FEAR did well was muddle the line between good and bad. Who is the good guy? Wait, am I rooting for the bad guy? And they managed to do this without introducing big encompassing bad-guys like Negan or the governor. It was more like people just trying to survive, and you are just rooting for the ones you know, not necessarily the ones that are the good guys. I think at times FTWD was even better than TWD at this.

Spoilers starting now:

Season 4 was a soft reboot. Almost all of the cast from the first season is gone by now and brand new characters are now at the forefront. I like the new characters. Some of them have bonding potential. They have quirks and are memorable. Unfortunately, as others have said, the plot in 4B got a bit cheesy. And the special effects and gags sometimes get cheesy like walkers flying around in windstorms and stuff. Not Z Nation level of cheesy....but cheesy.

Overall, if you are looking for a new world to start, FTWD is worth the experience. Just don't expect the magic of TWD, especially in its early years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

As an origin show, it ain't worth shit. It's not interesting, it doesn't go into the roots of the origin, and the characters get too quickly involved in an "apocalyptic" situation, especially with the military involvement.

It quickly becomes just that. What if they were on a boat? What if they crossed the fronteer? Etc. Couple that with weaker character dynamics and you've got the two first seasons that are pretty meh.

I kept on watching because I KNEW, despite what was said around here, that at some point, there would be a crossover and that Fear would become meaningful to the main show. There's some good things in it, season 3 wasn't great, but better than some TWD weaker parts. The first half of season 4 got me hopeful, but it went down to shit in the later half. I'll still watch it. Alicia's pretty hot (and at times a good character). Nick, who at first was really not my cup of tea, becomes an interesting character. Some others you're just glad they get rid of... New faces in the first half of season 4 brought some other interesting characters too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. NakedCity

That being said, I'm an ass, I just watched 4 seasons of The Flash...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I admit to being one of those who was critical of season 4. I would say that I was mildly critical of the first half and very critical of the second half. And this is quite uncharacteristic of me because I usually try to find the good even in a not so good situation. Goodness knows I wanted to really like season 4 but alas such was not the case.

Season 1 - I liked. Thought it had some good episodes. Many people have stated that they have not been able to connect to the characters. For me I connected with Nick in episode one and he remained a favorite of mine.

Season 2 - meh. But I chalked it up to the sophomore slump

Season 3 - I loved this season. This is the season where I thought the show really found its rhythm. One of the best things about this season is there was no clear cut good guys bad guys, and that was intriguing as hell. New characters were introduced and each of them was interesting. The downfall of the season is that it would be Dave Erickson's last season as showrunner.

Season 4 - UGH. The new characters are boring, the only one I am the least bit interested in would be Althea and even that is a stretch. Morgan is more ridiculous than ever. The dialogue is horrendous. I said it before and I will say it again, it is more like watching an episode of ZNation rather than a Walking Dead sister show. At least with ZNation they mean to be cheesy, silly and at times eye rolling. These new showrunners IMO are attempting to be clever and they are failing miserably

I hope for the sake of the franchise and for those viewers who will tune in to season 5 that massive changes are on the horizon. I hope that at some point during season 5 I read enough reviews both online and in the forum that may just persuade me to think they have turned the tables. Enough for me to consider watching. As for now, I just do not see myself watching season 5. Time will tell.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

As someone who drifted away from the series after Season 1 I was coming at Fear from a different angle, but the same mindset as you. I really wanted to like the show and enjoyed the first half a lot, aside from some minor points.

For them to lose both of us in the second half shows how bad this thing went. I still can't understand how they could weave together a good, and sometimes intricate, story in the first half and then serve up such garbage for the final eight episodes. It just doesn't make sense.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I think they tried to make the second half of season 4 similar to the second half of season 4 of TWD. If they had a clear destination that they were all trying to get to I think it would have worked (similar to how in the second half of season 4 of TWD they were all trying to get to Terminus). But they didn't set a clear destination in mind (except for possibly Alexandria and we knew they wouldn't get there by the end of the season anyway) so it just seemed like all the characters were just wondering aimlessly in the second half of the season.

Also the characters they introduced into the show in the second half didn't help any either. Having characters come into the story because they were on a quest for beer was a little bit of a headscratcher. And I realize Hollywood is really striving currently to have a lot of diversity and I am all for that as long as it makes sense to the story. But having a character bound to a wheelchair this deep into the apocalypse I'm not sure did make sense to the story. It could have worked if they were a part of a larger group and they had been protecting him but as far as I remember it had just been him and his gal pal since the very beginning.

That said I'm still more excited for season 5 of FTWD than I am for seasons 9 and 10 of TWD. I have a feeling that the Whisperer arc could end up being an even bigger disaster for TWD than the Negan arc was.

All in all I think the time has come and gone for post apocalyptic type shows. It was something that hadn't really been done much before when it debuted in 2010 (at least a serious take of it) and that was probably a big reason why it turned into such a monster hit. But people are now losing interest just as quickly as they became interested and that is probably largely due to the fact that it is now a been there done that type of story. AMC though will probably never let go of this universe though since it is virtually the only thing they have on their plate that brings them ratings.

#12 lastcat3, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I attempted seasons 1, 2, and 3 and was unable to connect with the show or the characters despite my best efforts - I wanted to so badly because i was excited to have more TWD to watch. Season 4 changed that for me...even with some of the characters that have been on since season 1. I'll admit the second half was not as enjoyable as the first, and there were some inconsistencies & what seemed like downright mistakes...but I still found it worth watching and wasn't mad at it. It was some good TWD content to get me through until season 9. This is why i am not and will never be a film critic. :) I just like what i like.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. PepperAnn

I really really really enjoyed the first half of season 4. Which is why the back half really baffled me. I mean, don't you have some kind of momentum when you are writing material within the same season? It's like completely different people wrote the first half and the second.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. NakedCity

So true, she even likes me. ;-)

Mouhahahah! Can't say I disagree, except that I'll fight with my teeth out to get you to like Dorrie! Althea is a dumb character with a dumb gimmick (ok, the gunslinger gimmick might be as dumb but at least doesn't require batteries). The only thing remotely interesting about her is that tape she has of Eugene and Abraham, that I'd like to see.

Again, so true. The second half was bad on itself, but the trio of clowns they introduced made it unsavable. At least one of them died, might have been the less lame of the three though. Laurel & Hardy are atrocious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I kid, I kid

Not happening NC, not happening :p

17. PepperAnn

Funny thing is I couldn't stand him during the first episode. Then I did a complete 180 on the second. Lol

18. NakedCity

Molly!!!!

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

JAKE!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Well Walker

Well Walker Member

I liked FTWD. Season 3 the show was really starting to shine. Were we seeing the beginning of a group of villains? Nick had an affinity with the walkers. He could be sort of a walker whisperer and control them as bio weapons. Madison, Daniel, and Strand I could see heading into the direction of evil. FTWD was becoming very interesting.

Now that show seems to have been canceled and we have a new FTWD, Morgan style. The show has potential, I still enjoyed it to a certain extent. But I have a few worries. Instead of an interesting group of potential villains we now have a group of do-gooders. The new characters are getting very close to comic relief types. I want to see people I could relate too. These people hardly even seem real to me. I want gritty realism, not a dark comedy with odd and quirky charterers. I don't want a Z-Nation type of show. The show is heading into a precarious direction.

• Agree Agree x 1