Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Is Morgan a hypocrite?

Discussion in 'Episode 713 - Bury Me Here' started by Cartman, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Cartman

Cartman New Member

Morgan had basically sworn off killing people up until now, believing even the worst of people could be redeemed (because he himself was the worst of people at one time, back when he murdered anyone he came across when he was living in 100% selfish survival mode). And he breaks his no-kill mantra because of Richard? Really? Not because of Negan, not because of any of the other true scumbags Morgan has come across (recall the "Wolves"), but because of Richard? Richard clearly wasn't an evil man, and he didn't kill the kid -- the Saviors did. I felt the amount of anger they gave Morgan for Richard was poor writing and made Morgan come off as a bit of a douche. Richard felt bad for what happened to the kid, shouldn't that count for something? But nope, Morgan is completely unforgiving when it comes to Richard. Now I'm sort of rooting for Morgan to die, as punishment for what he did to Richard.

If somebody else had came up with that plan that inadvertently got the kid killed, would Morgan still have been so unforgiving? What if Daryl happened to be there and come up with that plan, or Rick? It always seems like the main characters are understanding and forgiving of each other's actions/mistakes, but "secondary" characters/characters outside the main circle of friends, they don't get that same benefit. lol

And what's the deal with the stick, I mean I get it for unarmed zombies, but is he planning to bring a stick to an all-out gun fight? Is he some sort of super-ninja who is able to sneak up on every single opponent he comes across, get close enough to "stick" them to death before they can get a shot off? I suppose he must be.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

Great post. I agree that if Morgan killed Richard solely because he got Benjamin killed then it's really dumb and makes no sense based on who his character has been made out to be.

But if he was truly thinking of the bigger picture that this would accomplish what Richard wanted by getting the saviours to believe the kingdom understood who was in charge then I'm fine with it. Also it would allow Richard to sacrifice himself like he wanted.

I did think I heard them say on talking dead that it was Morgan being mad at Richard but I wasn't paying attention

3. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

I say he does look quite hypocritical. After all speeches he has given others about all life being precious he does this to a "friendly"? To me his behavior with the Wolves was unforgivable. And of course there's his stance against the outpost raid and the upcoming war against Negan. So Richard comes up with a plan to actually wake people up that need to fight for their own survival. A plan where he intends on sacrificing himself for what he felt was the greater good of the town. His biggest mistake was assuming he knew what the crazy Saviors would do. He doesn't get killed by the Saviors but Ben does. In the end it looks like Richard's goal will be met. But this slip up by Richard is what breaks Morgan's all life is precious philosophy?

4. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Richard was a liability. How can you go to the following food drops and trust that Richard doesn't have another half baked plan hatched?

He risked the lives of everyone in the Kingdom, he couldn't be trusted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sully

Sully Active Member

Morgan snapped.

Like all the other characters people complain about, Morgan is human. Even the most Zen humans have their breaking points.

Morgan has always been fighting that struggle within himself. We are talking about a guy who went absolutely mad at one point and killed everything in sight.

So it really isn't that far fetched for him to regress after a pretty serious breaking point. Especially when you look at what put him over the edge both time. The first time was his son's death. Then Benjamin's, who he called Duane by mistake. Losing his son and then someone he took under his wing was enough to make Morgan regress back to his mad state.

If anything this is realistic. These characters are more human than I have ever seen on a TV show.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

Even though I never agreed with it I understand his no killing ethos. I think it was based on emotional need rather than the moralistic way he explained it. I just believed he was trying to avoid dealing with the emotional consequences of killing people in a world where killing is so commonplace. Killing walkers is almost not seen as killing at all. When he explained it to Ben I don't think he stressed the importance of the emotional burden of killing but he made a lot of the noble desire to be above the anger and pain that often leads to killing someone. But that's not possible in their world. Killing has become the only way to survive because of other people's actions. Even not killing someone has consequences. He would rather not have to be in a situation where he has to make the kill or don't kill decision. But caring for Carol and being at the kingdom has forced him to kill because he has allowed himself to be around people and have friendships which come with an expectation that you look out for each other.
    Richards actions lead to bens death, Richard could no longer be trusted. I think he wanted to die because he couldn't live with the consequences of his actions and Morgan could understand that feeling. He killed Richard because he was angry and he could empathise with how Richard felt having caused bens death.
    I dont think he is a hypocrite I think he was at the end of his ability to control hiss emotions and he felt that he was helping the long term aim to get rid of the saviours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

True, my thought was that Morgan was concerned about another stupid plan since Richard said that they have to do something to make the Saviors trust them again.
    Richard might as well had planned to set up Morgan by claiming that he was the one hiding the fruit.

However, to avoid that, Morgan could have told Ezekiel about it all right after the conversation with Richard. Ezekiel would have found a way to keep Richard away from doing such things, for example taking him off duty and choosing someone else for the job.
    Without Richard the tension between the two groups would have been reduced, since Jared obviously had a beef with Richard and wouldn't stay away from the pick up-team.

I think that Richard reminded Morgan of himself and Morgan killed him out of self-hatred.
    He remembered that terrible things happen when doing nothing, so Richard woke him up.
    By killing him he not only punished Richard for having been inactive but most of all himself for not doing the right thing when his wife had turned into a walker and later killed his son.

Yet it wasn't the right thing to do. It was the doing of a mentally unstable person, especially since he strangeled him and didn't even kill him quickly.

8. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I like to think that Morgan and Carol had a similar effect on one another. Carol realised that she couldn't keep killing from Morgan, and Morgan had the realisation that some people are truly bad and need to be killed for the greater good from Carol.

He's not necessarily a hypocrite, his beliefs are just being tested.

9. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

No he was not being hypocritical. You're forgetting that after seeing Ben die he reverted back to his old self, realizing he couldn't be the same anymore, not with what was happening.

And he gave Richard a chance, but Richard didn't want to say anything when he could have and seeing this, Morgan realized this man had to go. And he remembered Richard's plan about gaining the savior's trust, and so he killed Richard in front of them to do just that.

10. Cartman

Cartman New Member

The way I see it, Morgan's hypocrisy is twofold:

(1) He acted as judge, jury and executioner against a man whose crime was a pale shadow compared to Morgan's own past crimes; and

(2) He had taken a vow of "violence silence" up until this point, having had the nerve to preach his gospel to anyone who would listen, even going so far as to intervene and take away other people's "right" to execute scumbags -- true scumbags -- something Richard was not.

Morgan was definitely enraged and wanted blood. Morgan should have just killed himself and left Richard alone, he had no right to take Richard's life considering what a true piece of human garbage Morgan used to be -- and clearly still is. lol

Yeah it's pretty flawed storytelling on the show's part, to some of us anyway. He should have taken that rage and directed it at the right person -- the Savior who actually shot Ben. Or better yet, he should have just strangled himself; I think Ben would have wanted it that way. lol j/k

That alone shouldn't be enough to justify murdering a man though, as I'm sure you'd agree. As afterall, the series is filled with liabilities. Spineless coward Eugene who has proven in the past he can't be trusted to not choose saving his own ass over the well being of the group -- not murdered. Rosita going off half-cocked on her own taking a shot at Negan, resulting in the death of someone else -- not murdered. Daryl attacking Negan after the execution of Big Red, resulting in the death of someone else -- not murdered. Crazy psychopath Morgan once being totally bonkers killing innocent people who happened to cross his path -- not murdered. Richard takes action to spur on his people into fighting back, resulting in someone else getting killed -- murdered for not being a core group character. Lol honestly if you really think about it, all sorts of characters have been liabilities at some point or another -- including the great Rick Grimes himself -- not murdered. lol

I wouldn't call it a case of temporary insanity myself, afterall he used the violent execution of Richard doubly as a way to gain back the Saviors' trust, so there was some rational thinking going on here. It was a revenge/reckoning in his eyes I think, he seemed to truly blame Richard for Ben's death. As evidenced by an earlier scene where the judgmental Morgan confronted Richard clearly enraged and demanding answers. Richard then poured his heart out to Morgan, the whole time not realizing that the TRUE monster of the Post-Apocalypse wasn't a zombie, or the Saviors, or Negan -- but Morgan himself.:eek: lol

Lol. Could be, and it makes sense, as afterall we the audience hate him, too. lol Just a shame he didn't hate himself enough to kill himself, and only himself. lol

There was rage and anger and a hypocritical and misplaced sense of justice motivating Morgan as well. He was punishing Richard for something he seemed to blame entirely on Richard. But Morgan should have turned that rage on himself, where it belonged, and stuck his head in the tiger's cage or something. lol We'd all be better off -- especially poor Richard, who made the mistake of trusting Morgan not to murder him. lol j/k

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

I don't hate him. It was just disappointing that he killed Richard and especially that nobody really tried to stop him.
    Richard was a questionable character which became obvious when he wanted to use Carol as bait. But he surely wasn't/isn't the only questionable character having done things out of despair or rage, trauma, grief or whatever.
    I found him interesting and would have liked him participate in the fight against Negan.

Morgan is mentally unbalanced, and while it is a good thing that he will now join the fight, I'm sure that Richard will be no subject anymore to anyone because what Morgan did seems to be alright and everyone is fine with it.
    This is what I criticise the most on TWD.
    It's just completely unbelievable that such an important community member is not missed by anyone - and that a new member is allowed to kill people of this community.

Still, I don't hate Morgan. What he went through makes people go nuts and I understand why his mental state has become unstable.
    I don't see this as hypocrisy because Morgan was really convinced that problems should be solved without killing. It was his way and attempt to recover from his rampage and to restrain himself.

Time will tell what comes next.

12. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

If he admits that he was wrong in believing that you shouldn't kill how does that make him a hypocrite? It all depends on what his viewpoint is now. He' s only a hypocrite if he continues to tell others not to kill and still kills people himself. Most people seem to misunderstand the meaning of hypocrite. Having a change of heart NOT = hypocrisy.

#12 Spidey, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  13. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Morgan killing Richard was the only thing in that episode that wasn't easily predictable, can you please not whine about it? :)

Richard got it coming. He made the plan. Phase 1 worked and got Ezekiel all wired-up. He explained phase 2 to Morgan, and he lectured him about the importance of taking part in this, so Morgan executed phase 2, and since Richard was already planning on dying for this cause, already had his grave and all, it was just the easy way to go. The fact that he got his protégé killed juste made it so much easier. I agree it was a little from left field, but I'm good with it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

At first, I was shocked at Morgan killing Richard. But when I thought about it, Richard wanted to die. He was willing to martyr himself to wake the kingdom up. Although the steps did not play out exactly as Richard thought they would, he woke up the Kingdom, he woke up Morgan (who now plans to kill every single savior one at a time) and he woke up Carol.

Richard is the only character in the Kingdom to recognize they were on a treadmill to death if something wasn't done. He sacrified his life --even if that sacrifice didn't happen the way planned -- to wake up the Kingdom, And it woke up Morgan and Carol as well. He never intended for Benjamin to die. Since Negan's brutal plan is unsustainable with his gangs of punks from hell, it was only a matter of time. To my way of thinking,Richard did the Kingdom, and Morgan and Carol a wake-up call from the ostrich head-in-the-sand delusions that life could remain peaceful with the Saviors. Evil bullies always grow more evil and more demanding in the face of weakness. Ask the ghost of Neville Chamberlain how well appeasement works.

This was a marvelously complex and deep story with multiple layers. I loved it. RIP Richard and Benjamin. Go get 'em ,Morgan and Carol. Death to the Saviors!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

My friend came up with a theory
    Richard was almost goading Morgan to kill him when they were talking in the bedroom after Ben was killed . He told Morgan that he was willing to make another deal with the saviours and shared the story of losing his family, he had nothing left to live for