Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 150 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 25: No Turning Back' started by ltomlinson31, Jan 12, 2016.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Okay, just finished it but haven't read the Letter Hacks yet. My initial, rushed thoughts:

When Morton beat Rick with his own walking staff, it parallelled Carl's beating Morton's son with his own shovel, which his where Morton's rage originally stems from.

I feel like this was an extra-long issue so that three pages could be devoted to Rick biting someone. :zombies_lol: So, I'm assuming Rick's classic neck bite calls back to the first one, indicating that he has again turned a corner and returned to the idea that he must become absolutely ruthless in order to survive and protect his family and community. Perhaps he was becoming too soft over the time skip, as he says in his speech.

Andrea was really tempted to burst in on Carl and Lydia and stop them. I guess she figured he's a man now and can make his own decisions, or maybe just wanted to leave the situation for Rick to handle? I'm not sure what I would have done.

When Rick asks Michonne to go looking for the second attacker, I imagined that it would take her on an adventure that would last many issues and perhaps inspire a second Telltale game installment -- and then she found him on the next page. :zombies_lol:

It's interesting that Rick wanted to make his speech to everyone while still bloody. I guess he wanted an explicit visual reminder of what happens when they turn on themselves, which is totally valid, but the fact that he used that sort of showman's tactic suggests that he took some of Negan's advice to heart.

Similarly, when Rick forgave Vincent, on the surface it showed that he's holding on to his values and does not want to lead by fear. However, if he had forgiven Vincent for his actions, then there was no need to have Michonne track him down. He could have let Vincent go. The point of having Michonne bring him back was to forgive him in front of everyone. Again, this is Rick deliberately creating an image of himself that he wants the people to see.

Please excuse my disjointed writing this morning. It is early and I've had only half a cup of coffee.

#21 and138, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. St_Skill

St_Skill Member

Can't read until after work today... dying on the inside >_<

3. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

So my thoughts (before work and on my phone, so I will rush thrihh4this):

- So uh, the Saviors have no leader at the moment. Neither do the Kingdom.

- the teeth are back! And like I thought: RIP Morton. I was initially disappointed because we had already seen this from Rick before, but I love it now, considering it parallels Rick needing to embrace his inner brutality in order to protect people close to him. This time, he needs to do it to protect his communities. Also, does anyone actually kinda feel bad for Morton?

Because I don't. F*ck him. Also dat baldness. No wonder why he wore his hat all the time. It also kinda bugs me that Rick just passed out beside a dead Morton and was seen in the Morton. Morton could have reanimated and eaten him then.

- Andrea walking in on Carl and Lydia f*cking and her reaction are lol.

- I liked his speech. As much as people fear others, people always seem to forget how much damage they can do to themselves, and that happened here. Also, when Vincent was on his knees in front of Rick (better not let Negan know you were in that position, Vincent. Negan would love that), I thought that Rick's cane was Lucille and he was going to Lucille Vincent. But then I realized it was a cane. On my second read.

- Also I love the final panel. Atta boy, Rick.

- Overall I liked the issue. I was thinking we were going to see a more brutal Rick using fear, but it can still happen, but through propaganda and fear mongering and not brutality. Just watch politicians today talk. That kind of stuff.

And RIP to beloved fan favourite Morton.

#23 ltomlinson31, Jan 13, 2016
  4. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

I dunno. This issue was a HUGE letdown. I understand the importance of Rick becoming Feral again, & the fact Negan is proud of him. I do see Negan moulding Rick into a Neganesque person, and possibly taking over the Sanctuary & the Kingdom & possibly becoming evil. But as for a HUGE ISSUE THAT IS A GAME CHANGER as RK promised.....No.
    Over all, my exact thoughts upon finishing was:
    [video=youtube;G97-iY-FfQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G97-iY-FfQ4[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moor-Angol

Moor-Angol Member

first thanks for the mention :)

I finished just 10 min ago to read the most awaited issue in the last 12 months (for me, obviously) but actually I am really disappointed, maybe tomorrow after thinking more about it I will have a better opinion :)

6. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Holy shit, with everything going on between Alexandria and Hilltop, and Dwight leaving the Sanctuary, I had forgotten all about the Kingdom.

So, with Rick and Maggie being distracted by the Whisperers, this is a good time for someone to seize power of both leaderless places. I wonder if that will happen? And I wonder who is/will be stepping up to run things now?

I had kind of assumed Dwight's lady friend (I forget her name at the moment) would try to temporarily take the reins of the Saviors in the hope that Dwight would return. So I was surprised when she left with him.

Totally fcuk Morton. I felt sorry for him after his wife died, but not any longer.

That's a good point. Why didn't he turn?

Yeah, I feel kinda let down too. I did enjoy the issue, but I was expecting more for #150. I'm okay with there not being a major death -- we already had a ton of shocking deaths not long ago, and having a big death in every milestone number issue would be too predictable, I guess -- but I was expecting something surprising to happen. Like maybe a major plot twist.

#26 and138, Jan 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Top of the Morton to you. ;)

I feel like she left with him for two reasons. One, it leaves the leadership position completely open at the Sanctuary so that someone evil can step in, and two, so that Dwight can have a purpose at ASZ and become a mentally healthy contributing member. I think Dwight just became the comic's Daryl. :p.

Another thing to note is that Michonne and Jesus both seem to feel this new direction Rick is taking to be dubious at best.

And in case anyone read the comic illegally and didn't have access to the letter hacks,

And yeah, its hard to know how many hours passed between Rick killing Morton and Maggie finding Rick. If it was extremely late at night, it could have been only 4 or 5 hours I suppose. Rick got lucky. ;)

#27 Neuropyramidal, Jan 13, 2016
  8. ltomlinson31

It was somewhat early in the Morton when I wrote that (okay, like 9:45 but I wake up at 8:45 so it's a little early for me).

And I'm interested to see how Dwight's sudden departure affects the Sanctuary. Rick talked to Dwight about an election, but with Dwight gone and no authority that we know of, there is nothing to stop a person or small group from taking command themselves. They could also go without any leadership of some sort, and this could work well or terribly. It's possible that Dwight eventually returns and takes charge again (and the Sanctuary could get worse without him). It's also possible that they ignore this for a long time and hope we forget about it. There has been little set-up outside of Dwight and Laura and Diane/Sherry/Debbie so it's really hard to guess. I also want to see Tara the Savior again. She seemed cool and has a great name.

9. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Ugh.

Unpopular opinion: I still like Daryl, and still dislike Dwight.

But I suspect you may be right about that.

10. ltomlinson31

I dislike Daryl. And I dislike Dwight.

But yeah, that is possible. I would highly prefer to just see Dwight go back to the Sanctuary eventually and gain some confidence back. Or died.

11. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, hopefully he is kill. :shining:

12. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

One thing I keep forgetting to mention: The cover image is such a troll!

For months I've been trying to guess whose blood is all over Rick -- someone he killed, or a friend who died in his arms? -- when meanwhile half of the blood is his own. I really didn't see that coming.

13. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

I thought this was a good issue,Rick is lucky Morton didn't turn when he was passed out. Speaking of Morton thank f*ck he is dead,God that whole family was just a frickin cancer . Only one of them left who I'm not certain if that was him at the attendance cheering Rick Grimes on, if it was totally werid :zombies_lol:but was probably the other annoying boy or just a random boy

And Kirkman please no more Carl love scenes, he is 13 or 14 years old I do not need to see that shit

14. ltomlinson31

I think that kid cheering was Rolland, the other kid that Earl was training to become a blacksmith.

15. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Maybe, the next baddie, after the Whispers, will be Morton's kid. I forget his name, but maybe, he makes his way to sanctuary and turns the people bad again. But I am hoping it's Negan, who takes back the leadership, but instead of being a dick, he actually works with the other communities.

16. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Maybe the "Game Changer" comment comes in the form of a non-reanimated Morton. Could this signal the end of re-animation in the series? interesting thought to be sure, and would not diminish the threat of zombies for the foreseeable future, as there is still plenty up and about in the world. Still have to kill em all to truly end this thing, but could this herald the end of the virus for man?

17. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

My local shop is selling their exclusive, one-per-store black & white cover issue for $100.

I'm such a nerd, I was like, "Can I hold it? Can I take a picture of it?" A dude offered to take a picture of me holding it, but I was like, nah, maybe that's taking the obsession too far. :zombies_lol:

[​IMG]

18. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I liked this issue and it felt like something definitely happened in it. I don't think Kirkman is really the best single issue writer (at least compared to some of the other comics I read) but this one really felt like there was a clear point A they started at and a point B they ended at (a lot of times it feels like it takes TWD an entire arc to feel like something significant happened).

19. Sco

Sco Member

All in all, I enjoyed the issue.

Was especially glad to see that Carl and Lydia are finally getting a backseat to this whole ordeal with the Whisperers against the communities; I want to see Carl and Lydia build an actual relationship now that Lydia appears to be innocent to a degree but also 100% behind what Carl and (more importantly) Rick are building towards.

I initially was underwhelmed to find out Rick bit a guy in the neck again (got spoiled for me reading the internet before bed) but I enjoyed the fact that Kirkman really tried to make us believe Rick went walker for a quick moment (Even though we all can agree that is not the way Rick Grimes will/would have gone out).

I was expecting to hear more from Michonne & Jesus (only got 1 panel of him in the crowd) since they are (in my opinion) Rick Grime's true advisers.

Of course Negan's reaction to Rick's rally speech gave me a giggle.

Can't wait to see the military movement commence! Corporal Eugene is about to have a super big smile on his face!

20. WatWD

WatWD Member

I liked the issue.

I thought Rick biting the attacker was another indicator of Rick's view of the world. He lulled himself into a false security and realized that the internals were falling apart because of the externals not being held in order.

I didn't quite get Dwight. Said he was leaving but that looked like him in the crowd during Rick's speech. So he was just leaving the saviors but not all of the communities (I guess). Makes more sense to just leave 1 community for another.

I wonder why Sophia lingered at the door. Did she want to attack verbally and/or physically? Did she want to voice her feelings? I think Carl will probably end up with Sophia but the ride isn't going to stop for a while. Especially while Lydia is "meeting his needs".