Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"It's not a disability, it's a damn superpower"

Discussion in 'Episode 1001 - Lines We Cross' started by BlackBird, Oct 11, 2019.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Dnae has pointed out in one of the threads here that Angel Theory, who plays Kelly, is also losing her hearing in real life.

This article here gives back story about the actress's struggle with her loss of hearing and how Angela Kang asked her if it was ok to incorporate her personal story into Kelly's arc.

Angel told Angela Kang about how depressed she had felt with her progressive condition until her mother told her, "It's not a disability, it's a damn superpower." This really helped her to feel better about what was happening to her. Angela Kang put this line into the script, with Angel's permission.

https://www.insider.com/walking-dead-wrote-angel-theory-hearing-loss-onto-show-2019-10

I think this is a really beautiful thing they're doing here, mixing life and art in a wondrous tangle, to help not just the actress but all viewers with hearing problems, to see a very positive way to cope and relate to their condition.

#1 BlackBird, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I knew Angel Theory was herself hard of hearing, but I didn't know the backstory behind it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

As a hard of hearing person myself who is fluent in English and ASL, I am absolutely loving this.

• Friendly Friendly x 2