Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Jessie does not appear to be a beaten wife!

Discussion in 'Episode 515 - Try' started by jackson04, Mar 23, 2015.

1. jackson04

jackson04 Active Member

She does not portray an abused woman to me at all. Carol was always timid when with Ed. Jessie is not timid acting at all. And can we see some bruising on her or something? That would seem more realistic.

2. tombradyfan

tombradyfan Member

I agree that she acted way differently than what carol acted like( or a stereotypical victim of spousal abuse) but maybe she is just really good at putting up a front? Kinda like what carol is doing with the alexandrians now, just playing a role for everyone to think something opposite of what's actually going on. I dunno

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

There is no predictable way that a battered woman should act, lol. However, her immediate 180 degree rebellion against Pete was definitely a bit rushed.

4. SStark

SStark Active Member

Maybe he beats her with bars of soap in a sock so that they don't leave a bruise?

5. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Careful you get in trouble for saying that! lol!

But I agree, she just shows little signs of being abused when she is wearing tank tops and shooting the breeze so relaxed and acting flirty with another man and calling out to him on the street with the abuser RIGHT THERE... I keep thinking there has to be MORE to it - but Ultimately I guess it's really poor writing and plot development. Plus the actress isn't the best in this circumstance either. But the poor thing didn't have much to work with to begin with.

6. jojo

jojo Member

I think she's had lot's of putting on a public facepractice before ZA even party's meeting DR Pete's coleges socializing etc. Mix that in with stalk home syndrome (sp) even though she's not literally "being held captive by Pete" but stuck yes in loveless downward spiralling marriage maybe in some way yes she loves(father of her kids) and feels indebted to him. As to her appearance I dunno. At the same time the situation is sad and appalling . That ASZ knew and basically have done nothing.

#6 jojo, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  7. JMac

JMac Member

Some bruises wld have been a much better route to get the story across too I thot, and to have none is kinda weird too.. So agreed on that.
    She did say tonight that he got help and it was getting better so maybe he just started up again and she is in denial or doesn't know how to deal with it? Maybe no one has tried to help her, sounds like Deanna just kinda ignored it. I can't say how a person wld act in that situation especially in the za circumstances but I can say they way the writers have approached and told this story arc to me seems kinda redunk. Why not just give her a black eye like in the comics, why beat around the bush and throw this big story of ricks secret crush and romance.. Seems like a lot of unnecessary drama for a pretty straightforward story.

8. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Well, I agree to an extent but there's also not really a concrete way for an abused woman to act. Some can be very different to others.

9. Dr John Smith

Dr John Smith New Member

Pete's a surgeon. He'd know how to hit her in ways where bruises wouldn't be noticeable. Like how in Dexter that friend of Dexter's stepdaughter got hit on the ribs by her mother's boyfriend to hide the damage.

#9 Dr John Smith, Mar 23, 2015
  10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Duh

11. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

You can get hit without showing a bruise. You can also get pushed around, threatened, yelled at, emotionally abused, etc., all without having visual marks. Some victims are in denial and feel as if they have to protect their abusers, or they are ashamed that they are in the situation and hide the abuse from others. For example, in this episode Jessie said that they had gone to counselling in the past and that Pete had been okay for a while, so Jessie is hoping she can fix him again and is maintaining a facade that everything is okay.

12. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Do some research on domestic abuse.

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/abuse/domestic-violence-and-abuse.htm

The 'behavior' of a domestic abuse victim can be as little as making excuses for their partners behavior to physical signs of injury.

13. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but ......
    jessie reminds me of a person who provokes a situation to manipulate the outcome to her advantage.
    I don't know many men who would tolerate their wife flirting with other men right in front of them
    this is no reason for physical abuse though. But please stop portraying her as an innocent victim. She's playing both men to get what she wants.

14. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

This isn't the first time you've said this, but I still don't understand it. Would you care to elaborate?

15. Toothpick

She wants rid of Pete and sees Rick as a good provider and protector(the apparent opposite of Pete). She's in a bad marriage and wants out, but can't get away from Pete without help. She needs someone to kill him BecAuse that's her only escape route.
    i think her blatant flirting with Rick was to make Pete jealous and provoke a confrontation between both men

16. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I worked in family law for a long time. No-one in the legal system, domestic violence information centres or the police force has ever received the memo stating that domestic violence victims must be 'timid' or 'covered in bruises' to be taken seriously as a legitimate domestic violence victim.

He belongs to the group of people who believe it's the victims fault. She spoke to another man, therefor her husband has the right to commit violence against her.

17. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I don't think Jessie's turnaround is all that unrealistic. Rick seems to be the first person in Alexandria to be willing to stand up to Pete. She took the first opportunity for escape that presented itself.

That does not correlate with the behavior of Sam, who told Carol he found his mom knocked out by his dad.

18. jackson04

jackson04 Active Member

I can't believe she is so "friendly" with Rick around Pete. I wouldn't be that way in front of my non-abusive husband, LOL.

19. Toothpick

Get your facts right. I am a WOMAN

ANYONEwith any sense or experience of relationships would know that SOME victims of DV ARE As dysfunctional as the abusers but not in a physically violent way.
    I didn't say jessie deserved it i said she was manipulating the situation, this last episode convinced me of That belief. She definitely has dubious judgement when it comes to men, Pete is clearly a nut job and Rick is currently unbalanced.
    I admit I was wrong when I said jessie was the abuser, but women tend towards psychological abuse.

20. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

I think there's a difference between someone saying it's all the victims fault who brought it on themselves, than to it being something she knows happens again and again and keeps happening, to the point of having your freaking kid lock himself in a closet to be safe and having yourself be knocked unconscious and STILL not doing anything about it. Then only doing something because you found yourself another man to take care of you and the situation.

That to me is exactly what is going on and I don't like it. So go ahead and call me a victim blamer and shamer, too, who somehow agrees with violence. :zombies_confused:

It rubs me wrong that she only decides to suddenly accept Ricks help because he said "I wouldn't do it for anyone" basically because he's attracted to her and wants to possess her. I sure as hell wouldn't to go out of the pot into the frypan with a guy who only wants to save me because he wants something in return. That's not a good guy. Especially if he admits he wouldn't help save any other woman in the same scenario because he didn't get a boner for her.

It's funny to me though that you call people out as if they're saying it's the victims fault, but find it acceptable to have sizist and sexist threads about other women. I mean hypocrite much? Lets be clear - Victim blaming - not OK. Fat Shaming? totes OK!!!. Gotcha.

#20 CheesyBirdMess, Mar 23, 2015