Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Lebanon explosion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Morgotha, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

This explosion is a true disaster. 2750 TONS of ammonium nitrate were being stored in their port for *6 years* after having been seized. WHY was something with such a potential for explosion left in an unsecured warehouse for 6 years? In addition to killing 100 people, it has caused billions in damage and more importantly destroyed the country's primary storage facility of grain, meaning without imports there won't be enough to feed their people for more than a month. Beruit's mayor says that up to 300,000 people will be homeless from this. Beruit is also struggling with a covid outbreak and was in a bad way economically prior to this.

It's like a perfect storm of destruction and despair, and prior grievances aside, I'll pray for their recovery.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-53664184

[​IMG]

2. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I saw videos of different angles. Wow!
    It looked like a fire started in a warehouse that held fireworks and the heat from it made the other warehouse explode.
    Scary

The truth is out there

3. Morgotha

Yeah, this doesn't look like terrorism at this point, just a terrible "accident".

4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I was reading about this moments after it happened, but I didn't watch the video of the explosion for a couple hours because I was thinking, meh, I have seen explosions before. Then I watched it. My jaw DROPPED. What a terrible terrible tragedy. That explosion was MASSIVE.

5. Morgotha

Here's a slow-motion video of the explosion. From the first vantage point you can clearly see there was a fire burning probably in the other warehouse containing fireworks, and then this massive blast.

6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

It looked like an A-bomb went off. That was insane!!!!

7. Morgotha

Here's satellite images of the before and after. All those surrounding buildings are just - gone. And the A-bomb comparison is apt. The force of this explosion has been estimated to have been equivalent to 2.2 kilotons of TNT, and Little Boy dropped at Hiroshima was estimated at 15 kilotons of TNT.

[​IMG]

8. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Based on that map and the reference with the radius, it looks like the damage went approx. 300 meters out. That's about 1/5th of mile. For something that's not a military style bomb, that's A LOT of destruction.

9. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I did read where a woman said she was on the phone with her mom, who lives in Beirut.
    She’s claiming that mom told her 3 military style jets flew over her home before the first fire.
    She said the second explosion blew out her moms windows and cut her.

The truth is out there

10. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I am perplexed at how those two ships are still there in the after picture, and look relatively unscathed. They were RIGHT THERE.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Morgotha

I agree, the explosion was big enough to blow a 100 yard deep hole in the ground. when I saw they were just moved over, I couldn't believe it. There was a third ship that was thrown up on to the land, and since those weren't, they must be really big, heavy ships!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I'm not an engineer or anything, but I would imagine that the buoyancy of the ships in water helped. They're kind of like weeble-wobbles. You can tip them over but they won't fall down. LMAO I don't care how ridiculous that sounds, I'm sticking with it. :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1