Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Michonne vs Alpha Two Sides of a Coin

Discussion in 'Episode 912 - Guardians' started by Dnae, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about four scenes from the episode.

First we see Michonne having a talk with Judith about her visits with Negan. When asked about those visits Judith does not waiver, she does not lie. She is a child who knows she is loved. She is a child, who while she no doubt knows that she has crossed a line with her mom, she also knows that she is safe with Michonne having crossed that line. Michonne does not raise her voice nor her hand. When Michonne feels as though she is losing control of her emotions she tells Judith to "go to your room" because "I need a moment"

Then we have the scene with Alpha telling Beta about Lydia having the dry cleaning plastic over her face. Her child is suffocating and she chooses to use this as a teaching tool!! After Lydia confirms that she is okay Alpha "hits her....hard" as a way to teach her that what Lydia has just done with the plastic bag is wrong, a bad decision.

And then this bled over into the scenes we see of each community. While at first Michonne is set in her ways and does not show any signs of changing her mind she does eventually see the error of her ways. Granted part of that is due to Negan pointing out a few things to her. Not wanting to be the person Negan sees her as played a part in her re-thinking her position. But the point being that even while she was steadfast in not going to the fair the other members (i.e. Fr. Gabe, Siddiq, Nora) felt secure enough in her presence to speak their minds, to air their grievances.

And then to Alpha and the two whisperers who challenge her leadership. There is no discussion, there is no debate. There is simply Alpha's way or the highway. A challenge is not a challenge but more like an express ticket to your end, to being "guardian" food. There is no chance that Alpha would ever admit a mistake, bad judgement, perhaps an alternative to a decision.

We were shown two sides of the coin. One side Michonne, the other Alpha.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. hgigh

hgigh New Member

I think that is a great observation and I agree that they were showing the different dynamics in politics between Alexandria and The Whisperers.

Another thing that I wanted to mention that I thought of and was sparked by your mention of "guardian" food.

I think the Guardians title is also relevant to your observations. It can be taken and parents/guardians. This episode did show the dynamic of how the guardians of the children act and react differently. Michonne being civil and understanding with Judith and Alpha being cruel to Lydia is a great example of how these guardians handle their roles.

Daryl could be considered Henry's guardian and we got an example of how Daryl handles the role as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I did not think of Daryl in that light but now that you mention it Carol did entrust the safety of Henry to Daryl. Now THAT is a heavy responsibility to carry. Michonne is for all intents and purpose Judith's mom. Alpha is Lydia's mom though we can all agree not exactly a loving relationship. And now Daryl has Henry as his charge and they barely know one another and he is STILL a better parent than Alpha

Other guardians this episode - Aaron and Gracie. Earl, Tammy Rose and Whisper Baby

• Like Like x 2
  4. hgigh

hgigh New Member

I totally forgot about them, good catch.

5. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Great comparison, I didn't even think of it that way but you are 100% right.

In a lot of ways they are using the same technique they used to show the differences between Rick and Negan. By positioning them as opposites who do whatever it takes to protect their group, they needed to show these scenes to further explore just how different each leader is.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I would further the theory that not only Michonne is compared with Alpha, but also Judith is compared with Lydia as well. It is interesting how these 'minors' are related to their respective 'guardian'.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1