Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Black Ops 2 Multiplayer Migrating Host

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: Black Ops 2' started by mattybadboy44, Dec 1, 2012.

1. mattybadboy44

mattybadboy44 New Member

I have found this Migrating Host happening alot in all Multiplayer games to the point where it can finish the game.
    I also have a theory as to why it is happening alot on this game in particular, it seems if you are host you are getting your ass kicked, and have no chance in one on ones and see everything later and you bullets dont seem to damage or hit properly.
    Every time I have been having a terrible game where I literally cant buy a kill and I am just getting rinsed, it turns out I have been host. So my theory is if this is always happening to the host of the game no wander they are quitting and we are seeing this message all the time, it is something they need to fix as it is getting worse as people realise and quit.

2. Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

What I hate is what I call the "stealth migration" and it seems to happen mid game without warning. You'll be doing great with a steady 4 bar connection, then you start to get your arse handed to you mid game, only to discover you now a 3 bar connection at best. The game doesn't even stop to migrate to a new host like when the host leaves the game. It just keeps on going and you won't even notice the change, until you start getting killed constantly for no apparent reason.

It's very strange and frustrating...

3. Wordup

Wordup Well-Known Member

It's called lag comp, and it happens the worst to the host because they have the best connection to the game (since they would literally have zero lag without the comp).

I rage quit 4 times last night and was host every time. Makes the game unplayable....

4. mattybadboy44

mattybadboy44 New Member

Does anybody know if there is anyway of telling who is host during the game? and how can you tell if you are host?

5. Karsius

Karsius New Member

What?

You don't know how CoD works. The host is invariably in the best position to kick everyone's ass, simply because his client-side hit detection is going to be overruling everyone else's. The Ping is in his favor, not everybody else.

6. Wordup

Wordup Well-Known Member

Your assumption would be correct if lag compensation was not there...

"Lag compensation" is removing host advantage (and turning it into a host disadvantage). The host, you see, needs no lag compensation (the real definition) since he has 0 latency to the host (himself) so if he see's himself shoot at something, it means he hit it no matter what. There is no inaccuracy or estimation in calculation. It's a clear advantage that hosts feel. So the host is given an artificial and fluctuating latency to himself, comparative to the average latency and consistency of the people connected to him.

7. mattybadboy44

mattybadboy44 New Member

Was host again alot last night, I didnt get one kill in those games, unloading half a clip then in the kill cams I am not even shooting at the player and they see me, then fire one or 2 shots im dead. Is there a way I can change my settings so I am not host all the time? It happened 6 times last night every time I rage quit migrating hosts came up so I know I was host, and I am an average player with a KD of 1.30 so when I cant kill anyone its not fun its stupid.

8. DustyUK

DustyUK Member

So basically if you have decent Internet your a mug and you will be punished for that.
    What a ******* stupid idea for a multiplayer game!!!! So really the way to get a decent game is to ring up your Internet provider and ask them for a shit service lol

Such a stupid game, can anyone recommend any other multiplayer FPS? I've had it with COD, it should be re named as CON (Call of Noobs) lol

9. The Lizard King

I was getting my rear end caved in last night, I was 1-9 and some other guy on my team, 5th prestige 1-13 he quit, host migration I ended up 27-19

10. Ranger-X

Ranger-X New Member

Host Disadvantage

Had to sign up for the forum after reading your posts. Finally i have found people saying what i have been saying for months.
    I have 100meg internet which 7/10 times gives me the host if im in a lobby. Once i am host the game is really no fun for me. People appear out of nowhere i get shot round corners, shooting first means nothing and the first load of bullets seemingly fly right through an opponent not registering. When i get the feeling that im being screwed i leave the game and i am given the answer to my woes as i leave "Migrating Host".
    If i join a game that has started i can usually start racking up kills unless there is legit reasons like a full party or the other players are just better, which i have no problems with. I have a healthy k/d of 1.78 (1.80 usually when im not trying to do the stupid headshot challenges for camos) so i know im not a bad player but when im host i will be getting scores like 6/15 and struggling to break even. After game si check other players combat records to see what i have been up against and see that 70% of players have negative k/d's.
    I have read all the "Fix your lag with these tips" posts and videos but they do nothing.
    Why should i be punished for having fast internet in a fast internet world? If it allows me to have a small advantage when it comes to games then too bad.
    Im not a big gamer and i only ever really play COD cause i like the competitive aspect of playing online against others and trying to do better than them but when im being "cheated out of it through something restricting just me then that isnt competing its just getting screwed. I paid the same as everyone else for the game i expect to be able to enjoy the game the way its supposed to be.

11. TheEvilPorkChop

Getting host screwed happens to me all the time. Not nearly as bad as MW3 but happens alot. Some people tend to think this is BS because the host "always" has an advantage. Not true for me at least for the last 2 COD titles. Getting my ass handed to me, back out, host migration. Religiously

12. NinjaSquirrel

NinjaSquirrel Member

Being host is a huge disadvantage to me, so I refuse to host.

I watch the first few kill cams in each game, and if they look off then I quit and host migration comes up.

I pay good money for my high speed connection, so I not prepared to be the only one that gets a disadvantage from it.

13. Kill_for_fun

Kill_for_fun Member

Well the video testing on YouTube proves being host gives you around a 0.25 s advantage .

14. NinjaSquirrel

NinjaSquirrel Member

It proves that person given their Internet connection gets an advantage, it doesn't prove the everyone does.

I definitely get a disadvantage

15. Barns

Barns Active Member

I can always tell when I am hosting. I am dead before the enemy is on my screen, then after quitting - Host Migration.

What I do not understand is - how is this so different from BO or MW3? What have 3rch changed to make this system so badly flawed now?

16. Grim13

Grim13 Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same thing... but I'm not sure it's the host changing "stealthily"... i think it may be a change in the connection to host "pecking order" caused by new players entering, or leaving, the game...

17. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Active Member

18. Bullet Magnet

Bullet Magnet Well-Known Member

i dont understand ...if you rage quit a game how would you know if there was a host migration? that statement doesnt seem to make sense

19. Barns

Barns Active Member

Ignoring the 'rage' part, as I am a calm person. When you are host and see the killcam (replay) of enemy walking casually toward your position, they see you for enough time to switch weapons then pop you; before they have even appeared on your screen.

This is when I suspect being host, 95% of the time I quit, as I have no chance of killing someone (other than blind luck), then 'Host Migration' after you have clicked to 'leave game'.

This is the standard 'migration' that everyone knows... Then you are returned to create-a-class lobby.

I hope this explains what we are all experiencing?

This is a helpful guide to people that don't understand about lag/comp/optimisation.

However I have read it, and it changes nothing. Optimised my connection, changes nothing. The only thing to do to guarantee not to ever be host is, downgrade your internet connection speeds.

20. TheEvilPorkChop

I don't care what any YouTube video shows and says. I know for a 100% fact that when I'm host, I'm fuked. When playing with friends and this happens. I back out, host migration, quickly rejoin the same match and I go from 2-12 to 12-2. No new players to the game, just I'm not hosting.

MW3 was worse than BO2 for me. I don't draw the host here as much as I did in MW3

I take it you have never been the host and getting screwed over because of it. Next time you know for sure you are host, back out. The second you do it pops up host migration. Then you are back at pre game lobby. It show the migration as you "rage quit" when you host. If not you just leave. It makes sense if your ever the host